Am I Crazy for Considering a NAD A/V Receiver?

Brad Scott
Unregistered guest
Okay, here's the deal . . . I'm looking for an A/V receiver (or budget-comparable separates) for equal HT and music. The quality of pure music listening is paramount, but budget is tight i½ $1,500.

I've been through most of the threads here lately, and the brand names that mostly come up for good music listening (in my price range) are Arcam, Rotel, and NAD. Even though there are many posts trashing NAD for their build quality, there are just as many praising them for their musical sound. As much as I want to pull the trigger on a NAD T763, I'm hesitant due to all of the complaints of hisses, pops, hums, shut-downs, etc. Yet it seems to get rave reviews for its sound.

Are NAD receivers really THAT bad? (I already know what Paul's response will be!)

I've considered separates (and would really like to go that route eventually), but for my budget the only thing I can think of would be used Outlaw stuff - maybe a 950 and a 7100. Would this option be a better choice over any of the aforementioned receivers?

What else could you recommend that can handle HT and pure 2-channel music?

Thanks for your help.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1885
You want an NAD T763 I'll sell you mine. There is a hum that is part of any analog listening with an NAD receiver. As was stated on another thread NAD and Rotel don't use some of the same filters as other brands do to improve overall fidelity, which it does but at the cost of the hum. As I am a music lover first I bought the NAD with that in mind. However the hum bothered me so I have replaced it with a budget Yamaha receiver which I use for HT, FM, and XM only. So Like I said I have an NAD T763 (about 4 mos old) to sell.

I use my inexpensive Yamaha receiver as a source component. Here is my canned explanation which I have saved to word to roll out on this forum occasionally.

"Use the AVR as yet another source component hooked up to the video or aux on your pre and to power the center and rears. Leave the AVR off completely when listening to 2 channel. I go from the L/R front pre outs on the AVR to the video in on my NAD C162 pre. The C162 pre has 2 sets of pre outs. I use 1 set to go to the power amp and the other to go to the sub so that I have use of the sub for both 2 channel and home theater. I have to set the pre amp volume control to a set mark when I calibrate the home theater and return it to that setting every time I listen to it. It's key to remember to turn it back down before returning to 2 channel use or you can blow your fronts. It's a bit of pain but well worth it to me for better 2 channel music performance."

I now have a second sub which is connected to the LFE on the AVR. Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2450
Art offers sage advice. I followed it, added a vintage NAD 2200 amp and 1240 pre-amp to my Marantz 5400, and enjoyed some spectacular results in two-channel music that had me bouncing off the walls in joy.

A few months later, I decided to experiment with the amazing cheap ($230) all-digital Panasonic sa-xr55. Now the NAD separates are powering my bedroom system and the Marantz is headed to the selling block.

You might, as Art does, decide you definitely prefer analog to digital sound. In which case his prescription of using a relatively inexpensive AVR with a 2-channel amp would work wonderfully.

With a $1500 budget you could get his Yamaha for $350-400, and then a NAD integrated amp like the c372 for around $800. Or go over the budget a little with the NAD 272 amp and 162 Pre-amp for maybe $1200.

The hum and hiss problem seems to be exclusive to NAD's multichannel gear not the 2-channel stuff.

Anonymous

Well, I have a T753 and it has had no problems whatsoever so far. The build quality is actually very solid. Nice hefty chasis, great power unit, etc.

Musically, it is probably the closest thing to a tube amp for a receiver in this class. But it still is a very capable, neutral, HT receiver. I use it with B&W speakers. I don't have a SACD source, so I don't know how that will work with my NAD.

The other receiver I cross-shopped with was a Rotel and honestly, I thought that one was great also. To me, either one sounded a bit better than some Pioneers and Onkyos people tried to recommend to me. But hey, may not work for other people.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 147
For a little less than $1500, you can use an inexpensive AVR (like the HK AVR235 I use or something similar) with a good multi-channel power amp like the Outlaws (755 for 5-channel, 7125 for 7-channel to stay in budget). You can later upgrade to a dedicated pre-amp, or swap out the AVR for something with more/newer features that are important to you. I've been very happy with the sound of the Outlaw amp for music as well as for HT, and my speakers LOVE the gobs of pure power the amp offers.

FYI... HK 235 from Harman Direct on ebay = $261
Outlaw 755 = $1179
Total = $1440

Anonymous

Some people don!t like the NAD for HT.

Bronze Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 86
The NAD T753 & TT763 are fine for home theater, I don't think you'll be disappointed, and NAD recievers really shine when it come to music, we all know that, however the Marantz SR5400, which I own & SR5500 are better all around units, and they're quite a bit less expensive.

I would avoid separates, since it doesn't seem that you have money to burn, and I assume your not "lighting-up" an auditorium. all these units are far more than adiquate. Also, consider the Denon, Onkyo & Harman units at this price point.

I would search-out these sights for factory refubs.

http://www.spearitsound.com/specials.htm

www.accessories4less.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Accessories4less_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

www.hifi.com (look for hifi.com coupons as well)

www.ecost.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 570
I have to add here that I was interested in this subject of NAD hum! I went to my dealer and mentioned this to him and so happens he had 3 (763's) on display in his AV room. We went through about an hour of testing without ANY sign of hum!!!!! I believe you may have a more unique problem or a ground problem in your house. HOWEVER, knowing you Art and your vast knowledge, I am sure you thought of that so maybe it is something else BUT like I said, we tried three and could not hear anything but nice clean sound!

Brad Scott
Unregistered guest
Well, I currently have a HK AVR330 which is what I wanted to upgrade from. You're saying to just get an amp and use the HK as a pre/pro? I assume there's a pre-out on the back of the HK.

If I'm going that route, will I notice better separation or clarity even though I'm using the same processor? In essence, would the addition of an amp make a noticeable difference in sound quality?

Any other 7-channel amps you could recommend to pair with the HK to improve the sound quality?

Thanks again

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 148
There are definitely pre-outs on the back of your HK. As far as separation and clarity go, I can't really answer that - I love the separation and clarity in my system, but I don't know how much that has to do with the HK and how much it has to do with the amp. I did find that HK and the Yamaha RX-V series were the cleanest sounding as pre-amps. What I do know is that you will remove from the equation the strain involved in driving 7 channels.

If you keep the 330, you could get the Outlaw 770 (7x200w) for under $1500 now. Other companies with relatively affordable 7-channel amps include: NAD, Adcom, Emotiva (av123.com). The nice thing about the Outlaws is that you can try them in your system for 30 days... if you don't hear the improvement you're looking for, just send it back.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 634
For $1500, you may also want to look at the Arcam AVR250. If I were spending $1500 for a AVR, that would be my choice, hands down.

For power amps, the outlaws get a lot of good reviews. Check out their forum on their web page. Another good deal would be the NAD multi channel amp refurbished from Northampton Audio -

http://www.northamptonaudio.com/nad/nadspec.htm

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1889
No pre outs on that model would stop me from buying it.

Bronze Member
Username: Big_red

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 18
I would avoid the NAD for HT - I've tried the 753 and 763 (over the past 12 months) and both have had major issues from literally crashing and requiring a hard reboot (manually turning it off from the back) to losing surround sound (these happended on the 753s) and humming and hissing witht the 763s. i recently brought in the panny to demo and no hum, hiss or other problems at least in the couple of days that I had it (but not the receiver I'm looking for).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us