Old school receiver question ....

Username: Dj_bobby_a

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I have a Pioneer sx-1080 that I have owned since college days. It has preamp-out connections.
I was wondering if there is a was a way that I may be able to use it as a home theatre receiver? I like the way it looks in a nostalgic way. I am currently using a Denon 5.1 AV receiver that I am not really satisfied with. I was thinking that I could connect a preamp or integrated amp to the Pioneer that had all the needed connections for a 5.1 system.
Is this feasible or should I just give up on the idea and just upgrade to a higher end AV receiver?
Any ideas or input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Bobby

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2438
It would actually be easier for you to connect the Pio to the Denon's pre-outs (if the Denon has any) and use it for 2-channel listening.

Yes, it would be easier just to get a new AV receiver though.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5975

The only speakers the 1080 could drive would be the front stereo pair. Matching it with the other 3.1 channels is generally considered more trouble than it's worth. I would keep the 1080 as a stereo system (pass it on to a friend maybe), if you want to maintain the Pioneer. Otherwise part with it, there is a fairly good market for that receiver, and use the money to upgrade the 5.1 system.

Username: Dj_bobby_a

Post Number: 2
I think you are right. Thanks for the replies. I may sell it along with my Dalqhist dq20's. Then do an upgrade.
Thanks again,
Bobby
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us