Sub Woofer Doubt

Unregistered guest
I have been planning on buying a subwoofer but have one major doubt.
I see most of the SW's do not have a coaxial input on them. they genrally have High level in (L R) and high leve out (L R). which means i connect the output of the amplifiers front R L to the SW and then connect the high level output to the front speakers. does this mean that the subwoofer derives the bass component frm the front channels?
if so then then where does 5.1 come into picture.

Say if i had a true DTS encoded DVD then i would not get any bass out coz the coaxial output is not driving the SW.

Can someone throw some light on my doubts.

Thanks
Rogger

Bronze Member
Username: Ncavman

N.C.

Post Number: 81
Hello Rogger,

I would have to disagree with you. The overwhelming majority of subs on the market all have standard rca low-level line inputs, some also have high-level inputs.

The ONLY way you can get true LFE from your receiver (the .1 in a 5.1 or 6.1 setup) is to use the LFE/sub line-out from your receiver.

If you are looking at subwoofers that do not have low-level inputs, you are looking at junk. There is not one good subwoofer company on the planet that makes a home theater sub without low-level inputs.

What brands and models are you looking at, and what is your budget?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2434
I second NC-AV, have never seen a sub without an LFE input. It's usually not coaxial but a single or double RCA jack. Even my crappy JBL e150 has these.

Some will even have XLR connections.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 621
maybe the only things he has seen are cheap HTIBs or $5 subs

Unregistered guest
Hi Guys,
My appologies. i actually did not notice that on low level input (RCA) of most of the SW theres one input which is circled and below it the foll is written "5.1 SW input".
I still have one more doubt though. My amp (marantz sr4300) has a set of outputs which are called "pre-out" i am guessing this is the preamplifier output correct me if i am wrong.
the pre-out is 6.1 so do i connect the SW output frm pre-out to the SW. and do i connect it to the rca input marked "5.1 SW input"

There is no other output frm the amp for the SW.

Thanks
Rogger

Bronze Member
Username: Ncavman

N.C.

Post Number: 83
Yes, connect SW line out of your SR4300 ---> to the only low-level input on your sub, which is what you are calling 5.1 SW input (a.k. "LFE input" or "line-in" or "low-level-input" etc.)

There is only one type of pre-amp input on your sub. This is the ".1" channel in a multichannel DD or DTS system. Cross the "5" off of the label if it is confusing you. SW's use the .1 channel (or sub-out, or whatever you want to call it).

......................................_________
......................................|.SUB........|
......................................|5.1 in........|
SR4300 SW pre-out O---->|-->0..........|
......................................|................|
......................................|_________|

Use a quality SW cable... enjoy.

Frido
Unregistered guest
Hey there, Sub-literate people.

I'm using an old Sherwood(10 years ago) subwoofer which does not have a specific connection called LFE, I do however have a right and left RCA connections called Low Level Input. Any advice on how I use my LFE output or in any way gain the LFE benefit?
I was thinking that if I were to connect the LFE from the reciever to the Low Level Input Right, I'd get what I need.
There're also a few connections for copper wires for input of the RIght and Left front speakers, and output for the Satellite ones.

Thanks in advance.

Bronze Member
Username: Alphabet

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 43
Hi Frido, you have the right idea to connect LFE from the receiver to one of the Low Level Input connectors. Some sub manufacturers recommend connecting it to the Left input, but you can try either right or left. Else if you can find a sub interconnect with two connectors one side and one connector on the other side, it will take care of this decision.

Frido
Unregistered guest
I'll likely manufacture my own .. "Y connector" I believe it is called.
Thank you, Abe. I'll try the Left side then, even though I do get some bass I might get better LFE using the left.(I'm used to the idea of Right being Mono, therefore the default that should be used.)

go astros
Unregistered guest
Always use both L and R. At least this is what I was taught.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us