Newbie Needs Fast Receiver Advice

Username: Tobias

Post Number: 1
I need to buy a new receiver and have read lots of reviews. My system is small and consists of all Mirage Omni speakers. I definitely want something with Auto Set Up and perhaps Equalization, but I can live without that. Clarity and clean detailed sound is most important for DVD's, TV movies and CD's. I have narrowed the search to these three:
(1) Harman Kardon AVR-335 ($409+ S&H); Denon AVR-1906 ($395+ S&H); Yamaha RX-V657 ($360.22 w/ S&H) or HTR-5860 ($365.00 w/S&H). (These two Yammies seem identical to me.) I could not find a review for the Denon 1906 as it is an upgrade of the 1905. The others get fine reviews.

Is the Harman Kardon worth the extra $$$ in relation to the others? Which would you recommend as the most solid receiver for a medium size room with carpets? THANKS

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2397
If I were you, I'd run to your nearest Circuit City and take the $250 all-digital Panasonic sa-xr55 for a spin, or order it from Amazon.com for $230 shipped. Both places have a no-hassle return policy if you dislike it (which I'd doubt highly). That all-digital technology yields jaw-dropping detail with zero distortion and bottomless power compared to analog receivers costing several times more. I was shocked to discover that it effortlessly outperformed AND outpowered my beloved NAD separates which would cost about 6 times as much brand new!

I bought it for 2-channel music but found that it does HT extremely well, due to the unbelievable clarity and ample power.

Read up on what all the buzz is about, if anything deserves the term "giant-killer" this is it! A couple of threads about this receiver on different forums:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/160136.html

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1251&page=1&p p=10

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=530504

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=417894

A few caveats---very minor IMHO at this pricepoint: no pre-outs (would negate the whole point of a digital amp after all), subwoofer crossover only down to 80Hz, no room speaker EQ, primitive remote, no digital outputs, no OSD (onscreen display). Also may not be the best choice if you have lousy, overly bright speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 618
Donald -

The receivers you've picked out are very good for the money. I would however eliminate the Yamaha HTR-5860. The RX Series is reportedly far better than the HTR series. The HTR series is the Best Buy Circuit City receiver, whereas the RX series are only sold in small higher-end stores. For more about the Yamaha RX-V657 read the "Art loses his mind..." thread.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1868
Either the Yammie RX or the HK. HK has a few more QC issues but not compared to NAD. That HK is a dynamite sounding receiver. I would say that it depends on how efficient your speakers are. If they are relatively efficient I would go with the Yamaha if not I would consider the HK. I'm having alot of fun with my little Yammie. Good luck.

Username: Tobias

Post Number: 2
Thanks guys! I went to a high end audio store in Connecticut today and listened to the Denon AVR-2105 and Yamaha RX-V657. (They no longer sell HK's.) The difference to my ears was amazing. The Denon sounded warm, while the Yammie sounded much brighter, crisp, clear and tight. I went home and bought the Yammie from ReliableHiFi.com after a lengthy and very productive conversation with their Customer Service - a very knowledgeable guy named Neil. Price: $370.00 delivered with full warranty. I'll post again when I get a chance to listen to it at home.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2424
OK, chalk one up for Art! : )
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us