Rega planar 3 vs thorens td-160

Username: Sumdood

Ny, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1
Hello,
I am currently shopping to upgrade my old technics turntable. I've narrowed down my selection to the choice above; if not the td-160, a comparable turntable.

Either way, I decided not to go for an entry-level Goldring, Music Hall, or Pro-ject. Each of them obviously will sound terrific compared to what I'm using currently. And my present speakers and amplifier are not particularly good, so any of the 3 would suffice. But I'd like to gradually upgrade my entire system over the next couple years, so I figure something like a used Rega would be good to grow into. Likewise, in asking and searching around, it seems that something like a TD-160 would produce better sound than an entry-level Music Hall ,etc.--if properly tweaked and maintained.

So by coincidence, I ran across the same rega that lovegasoline wrote about a week or 2 ago. The seller is offering the same deal: $450 for planar 3 with an elys cartridge. I went and listened to it last night; it sounded and looked great. After talking to seller for nearly an hour and a half, I'm pretty confident that the cartridge has a good deal of life remaining.

I then came across a TD-160 without cartridge but in otherwise good condition for $175. I figure if I were to get this, I'd spend another $75 or so (am not sure--haven't thought this thru yet) on a cartridge. And in the months to come, I'd make a few improvements (though I can't see myself going all out and doing every possible tweak.) Whereas the rega is a sure thing (i could pick it up tonight or later this week), the thorens is not--I'm 2nd in line. But i figure with some patience, I could find a comparable deal somewhere in the $200-300 range.

So my question. Is there anyone out there who has, or has had, a TD-160 or something similar? How have you found the process of making adjustments and mainenance? Does it take a lot of time and work to get it to sounding solid (if not maximizing its potential, at least bringing out most of it)? Do you think the extra $150-200 for the Rega is worth it? Like nearly anyone else, I've got budgetary limits. In the end I can afford the $450, but it's my upper, upper limit (plus an extra $50).

Thanks for reading this long post.

Best,
Charles

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5960

The Rega is worth the money in many ways. There are virtually no set up or maintenance issues that you will have to perform with the Thorens. The Rega will also be an easier sell if, and when, you upgrade. There are plenty of write ups on each table, most especially the Rega, so the sound quality of the table is your choice to make by reading and possibly listening. No one can tell you whether the sound of the Rega is the best you should put in your current system.

Ny, Ny Usa

Post Number: 2
Thanks very much for your input.

I was nearly completely decided, when I phoned Rega's distributor Sound Organisation to ask some general questions. The representative whom I spoke with strongly recommended replacing the 7 year-old cartridge because with moderate playing, the rubber material inside of it hardens.

Do you follow this rule of thumb? As it is, I'm thinking of giving the seller a counter-offer. As it turns out, he is the one who recommended that I call Sound Org to get more info. So perhaps he'd be willing to lower the price a bit.

Best,
Charles

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5963

For the most part, the information is correct. Rubber parts dry out and get hard and crack. That changes the frequency response of the cartidge along with the dynamics of the playback. I am quite suprised this seller is so adamant about getting money out of a seven year old cartridge. However, if he has been using a stylus treatment on the cartridge, most of those have some lubricants which will keep the rubber damping pads soft for quite a long time. I have a Grado that is well over ten years old that doesn't seem to have suffered any aging. The thing is the rubber dampers are like shock absorbers on a car. They age so slowly it is difficult to notice the difference until you hit that one big pot hole.

Ny, Ny Usa

Post Number: 3
I see. That's very useful information.

Based on my extended conversation with the seller, I get the impression that he did not use a stylus treatment on the cartridge--with any regularity, at any rate. He explained that he'd bought the TT and cartridge in '98 to digitize his extensive record collection, but then gradually ended this process as more and more of his records were released on CD. (Something to this effect.)

He describes it as "very light use" over the past 7 years. I suspect in reality: moderate use in its first few years, tapering to light use, and down to virtually zero use in the last few years. He has already sold the bulk of his collection.

As lovegasoline explained already, seller regards the TT-cartridge combination (plus professional, in-apartment installation) very highly. Hence the firm selling price of $450, exactly half the cost of original purchase price ($700 plus $200, i believe). I have decided to make a counter-offer, in light of the new info, for $400. The plan, if he agrees to come down, is to use the Elys for a few years, then replace it (as I bring the rest of my system up to speed).

Many thanks,
Charles

P.S. I plan to use a stylus treatment on my next turntable (whatever it turns out to be). Do you have a recommendation?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5965

No. Read the magazine reviews, they'll tell you what's decent.

Bronze Member
Username: Lovegasoline

NYC

Post Number: 89
So Charles, how do you like the Rega?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us