Integrated Stereo Amp for Pardigm Monitor 7 v3's?

Naperville
Unregistered guest
I have a set of Paradigm Monitor 7's and am looking to upgrade to a new 2 channel stereo integrated amp and a new cd player -- I don't need an A/V system. Any recommendations? The NAd's seem to be a good match. Is the c370 or c372 too much power for these speakers? What about the c320BEE -- too little? I would like the amp to have an A/B speaker switch for my outside speakers. Also, what about my turntable connection. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 500
Naperville:

No, neither the 370 or 372 is too much power for the Monitor 7s. Can't say whether the 320bee is too small as I don't know what size room you have or what volume you want to listen at, but I suspect for most people it has enough power. More power is always better, however. NAD amps are a wonderful combination with Paradigm speakers--particularly with the Monitor and Studio series.

As for your turntable, you need an outboard phono pre-amp. These used to be built in, but very few unit bother to put them in anymore as most people with a turntable want the best sound they can get and get outboard phono pre-amps, anyways. NAD makes a very good one in the PP2. Another good one is the Sumiko ProJect Phonobox. Both are in the $100-120 range.

Lots of good CD playersto choose from. You would be hard pressed to find a better sounding CD player for the money than an NAD. You didn't mention a budget, but I have seen some very good NAD players starting about $200. If you are very critical in your listening, I would recommend the NAD C542 CD player (about $400) or the Cambridge Audio A640 CD player (about $495). I also recommend the Music Hall CD-25 (about $525).

One final point. I know of a deal on the Saturday Audio website (www.saturdayaudio.com)where they are selling the C160 pre-amp and the C270 amp for $349 each, or $698 for both. You can probably find these two components for about the same price at www.yawaonline.com or at www.dmc-electronics.com, as well. The C270 is 120 wpc x 2--it is essentially the C370 integrated, but there are two distinct advantages to this route. First, you have the two components separated, which always makes for a cleaner sound (especially as large as that amps power supply is), and second, it does have a phono pre-amp built in, making an outboard unit unnecessary.

Naperville
Unregistered guest
Thanks Hawk! Ver Helpful.

My room is about 14 ft. by 20ft. Although I listen to many types of music, it is mostly classic rock at average to slightly above average volume levels.

Another question pleae. Saturday Video has very good closeout prices on the C370 ($499) and the c541i ($299). Am I better off value wise to purchase these, or to purchase the newer models (c372 and c542)for more money????????

Username: Lkng

Post Number: 4
This c160/270 combo looks good for my paradigm monitor 11 (or psb image 6T). I can get the monitor 11 for 990$ or get everything from Saturdayaudioexchange (selling image 6T for like 699$)

Got another the question for all the experts though. If in the future I want more bass, how would I go about hooking up a sub to this setup?

Naperville
Unregistered guest
Hanwk and others:

Thank again for the help. I am going to Saturday Audio tomorrow (April 17) and really need more advice from you or anyone before then (Beacuse of their limited hours, this is the only time I can get there-I live in the Chicago area). I have decided to purchse NAD equipment (integrated amp and Cd player) to go with my Pradigm Monitor 7 v3's. I have eliminated the C350/C352 series because of quality questions. My choices are as follows:

C372/C542 (around $1050US)
C370/C541i (around $800)
C320BEE/C521BEE (around $550)

I would like to get the best bang for my buck, and still get the best sound for my Monitor 7's. (14x20 room, classic rock, average to slightly above aaverage volume levels, Budget $700-$1000)

Here are my questions:

Do I need the extra power of the C370 and C372 for the additional dollars, to have better sound?

If I need the extra power, would the C370 be almost as good as the C372, but at a savings of around $200-$300? Or, have the newer model NAD's (C372/C542)been improved that much to justify the increaed cost?????????????

If (this is the big IF) the newer models are very much better (C372 over C370????), would the BEE's be sufficient for my needs?

I am leaning toward the more power, older model combination of the NAD C370 and C541i for around $800 new at Saturday Audio. The real question remains: Are the newer C372/C542 models that much better to justify the increased prcices, compared to the closeout prices for the C370/C541i????? How much better are they???

Thanks for your help everyone. I need to quick advice if possible.

Bronze Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 28
The British mags give positive reviews about the 542 and 372. Will you hear dramatic differences in the 541 to 542? Well I"m listening to a 541I and having owned many a CD player, I can tell you sonically it reigns supreme for $400. The 542 is on my list of upgrades for the summer, but there is virtually NOTHING to complain about in the 541I. The hefty power supplies of the NAD's do infact do a great job of controlling the magnets in Paradigm speakers. Either the 120 watt or 150 watt NAD will do a fine job of powering your MOnitor 7's to plentiful levels as would a lower power NAD. YOu have very foolproof choices outlined in your system no matter what you get.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us