Eric Clapton - "Back Home" - DualDisc

Rantz
Unregistered guest
I rated this new title fro E.C. on the hi-rez rating thread just a little above average. On both the multi-channel and stereo mixes the resolution is at 48/24 though I think this only accounts for a small part of what sounds like a very messy recording. For example I have Donald Fagans "Nighfly" (among a few others, which, at the same resoltion, sound very, very good - and clean.

I had been looking forward to this "hi-res" release from E.C. but am very disappointed. My wife was the one who termed this recording as messy. I'd called it muddy, but messy or even noisy seems to be appropriate. The CD layer is no different imo. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else agrees or, thinks it is reference quality as at least one reviewer stated.

Anyone?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1849
DualDisc...bad idea. You won't see me buy one.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5949

I've got the Redbook disc and have only listened to it a few times. I'm very disappointed. This sounds like a throw back to when Clapton had Phil Collins doing his production work. It's a terrible recording with no sense of space and plenty of over production techniques. I wonder what Clapton must listen to at home for a hifi if he thinks this sounds decent. Everybody gets to decide what they want their recordings to sound like, but this is a far cry from what I want to hear. The music itself is sometimes OK but mostly recylced themes from things that worked before for Clapton. This sounds like a recording that was made to satisfy a contract obligation.

Rantz
Unregistered guest
Jan

I'm glad it's not just me (and my wife). I agree, I think the problem lies in the original recording technique and not in any of the formats. Very sad that an artist of such calibre isn't more concerned with the audio quality of his work.

Art

I wouldn't mind if DualDisc was consistant with the formats each disc carried and/or made it perfectly clear what those formats are. The unreliability of the "CD" side playing on various brands players is another issue. It works on my Marnatz CC-4300 but not the Denon 2900.

BTW - Included with the " Back Home" DualDisc is a gift of 6 E.C. guitar picks. Wonderful - next time Eric, save the money for better music production!

Rantz
Unregistered guest
A good example of why we shouldn't place too much credence on what reviewers say:

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avsoftware/dvd-audio/EricClaptonBackHo mereview.php

Guess he got his ears from the same place E.C. did!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1860
Yep, Rantz that is the problem. Also if your player throws a rod while playing a dualdisc many manufacturers won't cover it even if the disc had nothing to do with it. Yikes!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us