Repair or Replace?

Anonymous

Hello. I'm having a hard time trying to decide whther to have my Sony Str-av 920 receiver repaired, or just take the plunge and buy a new one. I purchased it in 1991 for about $600 Canadian. It has recently developed a problem with the sound in the right channel cutting in and out all of the time. I know it's not a speaker problem as I get the same problem using headphones. I suspect it's just a loose connection as I can temporarily restore the sound by shaking the receiver around a bit.

I was looking at the avrepair.com website, and they suggest that you're better off repairing an old receiver than replacing it because the newer models just don't have the same quality. How true is this? My Sony does have a wonderful warm sound, but it has been well-used and may very well be due for retirement.

Any opinions? Thank you kindly.

S. Jones

Bronze Member
Username: Loce

Lilburn, GA

Post Number: 17
The latest issue of Consumer Reports features an article about the pros and cons of repairing vs. replacing electronics. Though there is little about audio gear, the main idea is that typically it is cheaper to replace rather than repair must items once the warranty has expired.

In your case, the issue is likely how well do you like the sound of your receiver---you can likely upgrade your AV system quite a bit by replacing your receiver. I'm facing the same decision with a JVC RX-718V receiver that is only 6 or 7 years old. I've decided to replace it with one of the new Panasonic digital receivers as soon as I can save the money. (I never really liked the JVC that much anyway.)

S. Jones
Unregistered guest
I had presumed that replacing would be the option to go with too, until I read the spiel on avrepair.com. http://www.avrepair.com/audio/
Of course, they are a repair company so they would be inclined to recommend repairing over replacing.

I have read a few things on this site about the Panasonic SA-XR55. Is that the model you are considering?

Thanks for your input.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2347
"I was looking at the avrepair.com website, and they suggest that you're better off repairing an old receiver than replacing it because the newer models just don't have the same quality."

...er, don't you think that a repair company's website would have something of a VESTED INTEREST in telling you that?

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 926
Anonymous,

It is sometimes sensible to repair a unit, but much has changed since 1991, in particular you have the onset of all the digital formats (Dolby Digital and DTS) which weren't around yet in 1991.

It seems to me to be unwise to repair such an old unit when it is incapable of running the digital formats we have nowadays. Of course, if it can do this then it may be sensible, but if it can't then there seems little point in spending your money on an obsolete piece of equipment which can't give you anything like the results that you can get from proper surround sound. Older surround receivers had the ability to do Dolby Prologic. This is a stereo based surround scheme, that derived surround effects from a 2-channel output by summing the channels to give you a centre channel, and delaying the output to the rears to give the mono surround effect.

Modern surround is achieved by have 6 discrete channels for front left, centre, right, rear surround left, rear surround right and low frequency (or sub). Having 6 discrete channels, you get far more accurate steering Generally speaking the surround processing in in receivers is better than that of DVD players, and most DVD players do not have the DTS processor built into them anyway to reduce cost. Therefore it is better to use the processors in the receiver for surround sound movies than the processors built into a DVD player in my view.

Confusingly, for standard 2-channel CD reproduction, DVD players tend to do the job better, but that's another story.

Finally, you also have to consider that all the components in your receiver are nearly 15 years old. If you have the receiver repaired, one must woner how long it will be before the next 15 year old component decides it's had enough.

regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1222
Replace.

The MOFO has spoken.

S, Jones
Unregistered guest
Thanks everyone. Replace I will! It's always fun shopping for new stereo equipment, though I am not too impressed that so few of the newer models have phono inputs. I guess I will be making an additional purchase of a pre-amp.

Frank, thanks for the technological lowdown. I am quite clueless about this aspect of things.

Bronze Member
Username: Loce

Lilburn, GA

Post Number: 18
PS: I was referring to the Panasonic SA-XR55. I need to audition one but it seems like a reasonable choice for my HT set up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2402
Go to your nearest Circuit City and avail yourself of their no-hassle return policy. If they still have the xr55 in stock that is, apparently many stores are seeing them fly off the shelves.

Silver Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 246
From the avrepair link above:

quote:

Silver faced stereo amplifiers and receivers present a different story. Usually you will have paid good money for these, and they are not easily replaced. These would indeed be worth investing in, to get them back in proper working order.

Damn...I guess I should have bought the silver CA 540R not the black one...oh well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2403
LOL, what a bunch of clowns!

Most be run by Moonies...

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 345
Hate to break it to you like this, but even after repairing it, you are still stuck with a 14 year old Sony!!!

I know it hurts. I recently had to finally say adios to a 300+ Sony DVD changer that I bought in 2000 for over $600. After two repairs costing $175, the damn thing still didn't work. After another quote of $175 I just left it there at the deal shop and bought a Denon.

At some point you just gotta cut your losses short.

S. Jones
Unregistered guest
Oh, but it is a great Sony! :P It did break down on me about 4 years after I got it though. I kept getting that PROTECTOR message and the unit would shut off. Fortunately I was foolish enough to buy an extended warranty so it didn't cost me anything to fix it.

Ok, I'm ready to move on now.

Ed, we don't have Circuit City in Canada but I know I've seen that Panasonic model in a local store recently. I'm going to do some more shopping around before I commit to anything yet.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2423
> Ed, we don't have Circuit City in Canada but I know I've seen that Panasonic model in a local store recently. I'm going to do some more shopping around before I commit to anything yet.

Don't Canadian shops allow you to return things for a full refund within say a 30 day period too? If yes, no need to "commit" to anything really...hell you could charge 3 different receivers on your credit card and just return the 2 you like less. It's some trouble and legwork, but the only sure way to really know what you like best.

Silver Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 247
Yes, both Future Shop and BestBuy have 30 day return policies that apply to receivers. BestBuy currently has the XR55 for C$400.

S. Jones
Unregistered guest
Yup, most of the retailers are pretty good with return policies.

I don't think the XR55 will suit my purposes though as it appears not to have any pre-amp outputs. I like to haul out the old vinyl collection once in a while, so I will be wanting to hook up a phono pre-amp.

I have just noticed that the Yamaha RX-V1500 is on sale this weekend at our local retailer A&B Sound for $697.00 Supposedly this is a price reduction of $400.00. I may very well go with the Yamaha, and will be purchasing some new speakers as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2451
> I don't think the XR55 will suit my purposes though as it appears not to have any pre-amp outputs. I like to haul out the old vinyl collection once in a while, so I will be wanting to hook up a phono pre-amp.

I'm not real familiar with turntables since I haven't touched an LP in 15 years, but I think you can buy external phono pre-amps for not much money and hook them up to any receiver's analog inputs.

As for the RXV-1500 I think that if you are primarily an HT user the 40% less expensive RXV-657 should be plenty, plenty adequate. The savings could be spent on upgrading your sub or speakers or any number of other things.

Username: S_jones

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 1
Thanks Ed. I'll consider your advice, but I do want a receiver with some power as I'm going to be using it primarily for music, and only occasionally for HT. I don't need anything excessive as I'm not going to be able to crank it too much since I live in an apartment and my neighbours for some reason don't enjoy listening to my music through the walls. lol

I'm thinking one of the Yamaha models will do the job, if I complement them with the right set of speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2480
If you're primarily a music listener and have already ruled out the Panny, I'd actually look at a simple integrated 2-channel amp like the NAD c320bee, c352, or c372 instead.

http://www.yawaonline.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=YO&Category_C ode=NADAMP

Or if it has to be an AVR then look into the HK435 or HK635 in that price range at Harman Audio on eBay, these are refurb but with full direct original HK warranty.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 936
Musically, the Arcam surround receivers are very convincing, more so than most others. But they're not cheap...

Regards,
Frank.

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 2
Argh! The more research I do the less sure I am on what to buy. There is too much choice out there. lol. Confounding the matter is the fact that my rear speakers (Energy) can handle 80 watts max, so either I have to go for a less powerful receiver or think about replacing my rear speakers, which I am loathe to do as they're not that old and are pretty decent.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6099

Why would you have to replace you rear speakers?

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 4
I'm presuming that a specification such as this, Power: 95 watts RMS x7, means that each speaker should be capable of handling 95 watts of power.

Judging from your response I'm guessing that my presumption is entirely incorrect?

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 942
Well not entirely. If you turned up a receiver all the way and sent a signal to the rears, and the rears were setup with the same gain (0db) as the fronts (unlikely), then yes you could damage them, but this is a pretty unlikely scenario. Having a more powerful receiver is actually a good thing since it means it's less likely to distort into the speaker. A speaker hates distortion. OK, so it doesn't like being overdriven either, but overdriving a speaker is fairly obvious since you hear the drive unit hit its end-stop with a pop. But this doesn't do lasting damage unless you continue hammering the speaker at the same level (again, unlikely - the effect is very obvious).

On the other hand, distortion is another thing entirely. If the amp doesn't have much power and you turn it up all the way, then it'll start distorting the signal into the speaker. This tries to make the speaker act in an unnatural manner (ooh-err) which makes it distort physically. You'll hear this, but you might simply ignore it, and eventually the speake rwill fry (due to all the excess distortion energy) or break.

Therefore, all in all, you're better off driving a speaker with an amplifier that's more powerful than the speaker's rated input power.

regards,
Frank.

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 5
Very interesting! Thanks for enlightening me,Frank. I most certainly can't imagine ever turning my receiver up to max. volume. That would be overkill, indeed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us