NAD C350 Soft clipping problem

Username: Sealzy

LondonUK

Post Number: 1
Hopefully someone here can help... I've just plugged in my old Technics SLBD22 turntable into my NAD c350 amp.

Immediately the soft clipping light on the amp came on. The LP I'm playing is barely audible. I'm no expert, but I'm guessing something is wrong here? Can any of you guys help?

Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 6
hey andrew, the nad integrateds do not include an rca hookup for turntables... This is why they make the p-2 as an add on... I assume this is why you are getting the soft clipping light..

Username: Sealzy

LondonUK

Post Number: 2
Hi,

Thanks for that. Could you just clarify a couple of things for me? What is a rca hookup? And what is a P-2?

Does that mean that I am unable to connect a turntable to this amp? It does have an input jack marked disc on the back. I assumed that would mean a turntable, but I could be wrong.

Sorry, I'm being a bit thick here.

Thanks

Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 7
rca refers to the inputs where you plug in your components. The p-2 (they wouldn't let me use 2 p's as they felt it was uncouth??) is an outboard phono amp from nad and costs about 100 dollars. The input marked disc refers to another cd not phono. Your not being thick at all, I hope I have helped as I have spent untold time on nads website salivating over the c372...

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 487
Andrew:

unbridled id's comments were the first thing I thought of--what input do you have your turntable connected to?

You need a phono pre-amp to get the volume from the turntable high enough for the C350 to amplify. Also, I am not sure on this, but it is possible that the reason you are getting the soft clipping light is because your turntable isn't grounded. There should be a single ground wire with a spade connector separate from the two "RCA" type leads for the left and right channels coming from the turntable--older receivers that have a phono pre-amp built in will have a twist connection to ground the turntable, but newer units that have no turntable connection have deleted this ground connection, as well as the phono pre-amp.

Unbridled id suggests the NAD PP2 phono pre-amp, which not only will increase the volume, it will have a ground connection, as well. It is a very good unit which you can get for under $100 from Kiefs, Yawa, or Saturday Audio. Here is a link to describe the unit:

http://www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_amplifiers/pp2_framset.htm

Good luck!

Unregistered guest
Lets not forget about the RIAA curve, guys. Plugging a phono stage into an amp w/o a phono input is gonna sound really bad. The good news is you can find phono pre-amps from dirt cheap to many thousands of dollars. Anyway, the guys are right.......you need a phono pre-amp.

Username: Soubriakov

Post Number: 2
I'm a bit puzzled at all this. I have a NAD 3130 amplifier, and whenever I switch it on, with whatever input, the Soft Clipping light comes on. I have no idea what it means, but the sound seems great to me: phono, tuner, or cd.

Bronze Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 61
The orange light on the front of the 3130 amp you have isn't a warning light. All it means is that the soft clipping circuit is switched-on, there is a switch at the back of the unit and if you slide this to off the light will no longer illuminate on the front! Soft clipping is a circuit that is designed to protect your speakers. When an amplifier is pushed too hard the signal distorts - called 'clipping' - and this can damage your speakers, particularly the tweeters. The Nad circuit attempts to limit this damage when the amplifier is driven to clipping. If you play at very loud levels I'd advise you to leave it on but at low volumes it is unecessary and does affect the sound quality a little.

Bronze Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 99
That's why I'm such a fan of Rotel, I've seen a Rotel RB-990BX beating a Nad 218 THX (similar wattage, similar prices) with a ProAc Response 2.0 set of speakers due to the Rotel's larger current reserves!
Enjoy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us