Cable recommendation for my new CD Player

Username: Kodiack12345

Post Number: 1
Just need some advice people:

I just got my self a new cd player ARCAM CD73 which replaced my harmon kardon FL8380.
I have an Onkyo NR900 Rec and a pair of B&W DM 604 speakers. Currently I am using a regular monster rca between my Onkyo and my Arcam player.

I want to get a better audio interconnect but don't know which on to get.... any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2331
Mel,

sorry about your Monster cable, you could've paid about 1/3 as much for any generic cable from Home Depot or Walmart and gotten the same results.

Monster is pretty much the Bose of cables.

Here's a good summary of the cable myth among other audio myths:

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/cwo/Sample_Articles/?id=5

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1838
Don't believe the cable myth boloney that you read in such links. It really makes about as much sense as the arguments that all"good" amplifiers sounds alike or that all cd players sound alike. They don't and neither do cables. That doesn't mean that you have to spend alot for quality it just means that doing some research is not a bad thing. Other than that Edster is right Monster is not a very good brand. Ixos and NXG make very good budget cables. I have mine custom made at my local audio store and they are the best I've heard for up to several times there price.

You are ofcourse aware of the imbalance of your system I'm sure. Your cd player outclasses the rest your gear by a wide margin. You won't get the most out of the Arcam regardless of your cable with the Onkyo receiver but the sound would likely improve with good cables. I would suggest Kimber or even some AR's (not many)are halfway decent. Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 314
Nordost and Audioquest are good cables with Arcam. You may also look for Eichmann.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2350
melibu,

here's a very simple proposition: Go buy yourself a cheap $4 generic RCA cable from Walmart, A/B it with your Onkyo and Arcam, and tell us if you hear any difference.

Better yet, have someone blind test you on it so you don't know which cable you're listening to.

Post Number: 2
The reason why I bought the new cd player is because with my harmon kardon cd, the sound comming out is very bright sounding, not smooth at all, expecially when you want to listen to the music a little bit more. I just thought going after the source will be a good idea. Even with the arcam player it still sounds a little bright.... i don;t know what to do... maybe the Onkyo produces bright sound? Maybe is the B&W? I just don't know anymore.........

Gold Member

Post Number: 2360
Onkyo is not known for being bright at all. They are known for having very inflated RMS numbers though, so if the B&W speakers are actually being underpowered that might be the cause. I have no experience with B&W, so no idea if they're usually described as "bright" or "warm."

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 618
generalizations
HK-neutral to warm
B&W-warm
Onkyo- bright, overinflated

Gold Member

Post Number: 2366
Onkyo as "bright?" I don't think I've ever heard that one. I certainly wouldn't call my 601 "bright"---more like "lifeless."

Post Number: 3
What the heck, I think I should just buy a new cd player and an integrated amp just for music. Instead of mucking around with my current configuration. What do you guys think about the Arcam solo???

Bronze Member
Username: Fatelvis

Post Number: 12
You already have the CD73 -- pick up an a65+ and call it a day. Dump the Onkyo. You won't heat "the bright" any longer.

P.S. you are OK with the monster cable. I a/b'd monsters vs. Kimber Heros through the CD73's dual outs. No diff. People here are nuts if they think they can hear a difference.

Username: Starbucks

Kodiaks, I would recommend you to test the cables personally in the hi fi shop, and listen to urself provided the shop have the same setting. Or arrange to bring ur own equipment, you may reduce the risk of picking wrong cables.

U can test till faint and buy the best cable for ur taste.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2799
"P.S. you are OK with the monster cable. I a/b'd monsters vs. Kimber Heros through the CD73's dual outs. No diff. People here are nuts if they think they can hear a difference."

People are deaf if they can't! In which case go to Walmart and buy your cables. Why not, It makes no difference.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Art --- you've been suckered. I can hear clear difference between a C521bee, C542, CD72 and CD192, and clear difference between a C320BEE and a A65+. But cables? No way. Jewelery for your gear, that's all it is.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2801
Sorry but it ain't the case Jeff. I don't pay for expensive cables but I can clearly hear the differences. It's impossible to convince folks who don't hear so I won't try, but I know what I hear. If you own Monster then you've paid more than I did.

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
Contrary to what Edster maintains, cables can make a difference. But it is very equipment dependent. If you have a cheap system from stem to stern, save yourself money and buy the generic stuff. But if your system is high end, there is a good possibilty that you will notice an audible difference between certain cables. Unlike others in this forum, I disagree that Monster cables are per se crap. They tend to be grossly overpriced. But certain of their materials (for example, terminals) are generally of better quality than the generic stuff. But as I indicated, you can do better for the price. Trust the MOFO.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2803
This wouldn't be Dale would it?

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
Art is an amazing fellow.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2828
Hello Dale. Monster power conditioners are actually quite good.

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
Art, I see you are still hanging around with a bunch of losers. Thought you and Edster would have gone a long time ago. You two guys are among the small minority in this forum who consistently have something of substance to say. Still enjoying that Marantz that Edster turned me on to. Check you later.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 975
Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out.
Welcome back, to that same old place that you laughed about.
Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Back here where we need ya (Here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've got him on the spot,
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

Upload

I thought you were banned. As the song says, Welcome Back

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
Is Welcome Back Kotter back in syndication? Otherwise, I have no idea what Stu is talking about. But I loved that theme song. Who did it? Wasn't James Taylor was it?

Bronze Member
Username: Musicluvr

Post Number: 53
"But I loved that theme song. Who did it? Wasn't James Taylor was it?"

No, John Sebastian.

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
ctanaka, thanks a lot. That's great. Love a poster who knows what (s)he is talking about and gives a direct answer to a direct question.

Post Number: 4
how the heck did my cd player and bright sounding issue turn into a horrific cd album picture display?

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 833
Back to cables. Edster and Jeff are wrong imho. My brother sent me a pair of QED interconnects and I replaced the Monster 1400MK11's from the C542 to the C162. After a few minutes the difference was clear. I didn't like the old pair of QED's. The bass was reduced, there was less decay on symbals and piano, and the music overall became less involving. With the 1400MK11's back in place, everything was as it should be. Wonderful!

And I know Monster isn't the cable of choice, but i cannot afford to try others. There is nowhere here with any decent selection where one can borrow or get money back if not satisfied.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 966
Rantz:

Please don't feel apologetic over your choice of cables. As always, if it sounds good to you, that is all that matters. And, as a matter of record, I happen to think Monster is pretty good stuff . . .

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 835
Hawk, yes you're right of course. I wasn't really apologising for my choice of cables, it's just that I have not had much experience in comparing them. I had heard subtle differences in some speaker cables, but I'd never really considered much of a change would be evident in various interconnects. Now I am a true believer, though Id never spend a fortune on them. BTW - I happen to think those 1400MK11's are pretty good as is the HD Monster speaker cable. Though I have changed mine out for Kordz biwire which I think is just a touch better in my system.

Cheers Mate - good to see you back here again lately.

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 127
I really like the $50 cables from Signalcable.com
Great bang for the buck..they made a noticeable difference in my set-up. More bass, better transients and depth..overall, a better sound.

Give them a try. Great customer service as well.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 202
www.monoprice.com

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4310
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ffrc_e.html

http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umsefton/cables/htm/materials.html

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 203
Hey Nuck is Canuck cables anygood?

Bronze Member
Username: Jingka99

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Post Number: 18
Hi, I changed my IC from QED Qunex to Straightwire chorus and found out that the C352+C542 combo works well with straightwire chorus II...the improvement was not immediately evident in the first few hours of listening but gradually improved...you'll noticed a tighter bass, smoother highs, clearer vocals...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Switch back to your QED IC's and you may notice additional enhancements.

Bronze Member
Username: Jingka99

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Post Number: 19
yah yah...I know what you mean!!!
Thanks for the advise man....you're a great help in this forum!!!

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 183
Nuck, cool link. You know those guys? I live 5 minutes from the U of M.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4412
I do not know them, Dan. Let me know if you get in touch with them?

Username: Charliebrown

Post Number: 1
Hi I've bought several cables from Mike at Canuck Cables and I'm very pleased so far.

For interconnects he uses Canare L-5CFB. It's a VERY heavy duty co-axial and it's extremely stiff.

I noticed a major leap in performance from standard cheapies, but I haven't had the chance to do any A/B tests with any other high end cables.
I do know that Canare has a good reputation for high quality cables and the build quality on the connectors is amazing.

The kicker for me is that they're so damn cheap, so they're perfect for my modest NAD setup. I can't believe how much some people are charging for the same cables with fancy jackets.

Bronze Member
Username: Underarock

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 77
Edster,

Thank you very much for your link! I'm just now reading it, and love the article on audio myths. If the magazine is still in publication, I'm a subscriber! I'm glad I'm reading it now, before getting too involved in the high expense of "audiophile" equipment.

Just made my day! Thanks again!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 939
I'm with Art on this cable argument. I never would have spent much on cables, but I tried Monster 400Mk111 or whatever. Not a lot of difference than the cheaper ones I had, but they were little better. A speaker dealer I saw when on holidays lent me a couple of pair of Merlin cables to try. They were very expensive (in my terms), but after trying them I was sold. Even my wife noticed the difference and she didn't know what cables I was using. The benefits of these cables were like upgrading the components.

Anyone who says cables make no difference either have tin ears or just haven't tried too many. That doesn't mean all cables are all different. Many may have similar specs so don't dismiss the value of the right cables for your system.

Bronze Member
Username: The13thgryphon

Spokane, WA USA

Post Number: 19
If we look at the issue of cables from a scientific viewpoint, then it would seem to make sense that different cables could, and would, have different effects on the electrical signal passing through them.

Sure, "wire is wire". However, depending on the guage of the wire used, and whether it is solid core or stranded, and how many strands are used, and how they are braided, and what insulator is used, and whether it is shielded or not, and what jacket material it is all wrapped in, a cable can pass a near perfect signal, or act as an antenna or attenuator (low-pass or high-pass filter).

A cable can never make a signal "sound better"... but it can, and many do, modify the signal passing through them to some degree. A cable can make the sound "worse"... or degrade the signal it is carrying.

Every cable has three characteristics: resistance, capacitance, and inductance. These characteristics determine the total impedance of the cable. Impedance is a measure of how much the cable impedes the flow of electrical current. Well, if the cable is impeding the flow of electrons, then by definition, it is changing or modifying the signal being transmitted through it. The change may not be much, but it is there.

Resistance is a measurement of the tendency to resist the flow of current. The larger the diameter of the conductor, the lower the resistance. Capacitance is more of an issue than resistance, however.

A capacitor is an electrical device consisting of two conductors separated by a space that is most often filled with an insulating material. Isnt this exactly how cables are constructed: conductors surrounded by an insulating material and a shield? The entire cable is therefore one big capacitor that resists the flow of current. This capacitive reactance is greatly influenced by the insulating material.

As a signal travels through the wire it creates a magnetic field that changes along with the signal voltage. This process is called self-inductance, and impedes the signal by virtue of its inductive reactance.

All of these attributes can be controlled -- or at least properly balanced -- if attention is paid to them. However, if proper attention is not given to these properties then the results can be less than desirable. Resistance, capacitance, and inductance can combine and interact in complex ways.

These are just some of the basics of cable design, and I will readily admitt that if anything I have oversimplified the issues. However, it may give you some concept of why cables can indeed effect performance (usually not in a good way) and therefore sound different.

I am not advocating for uber-expensive cable purchases. Fortunately, most reasonably priced, well-made cables address these problems to a very high degree. Some just do a better job than others at addressing them... or at least in addressing one or more of the potential problem areas. And therefore, some cables work better in certain circumstances, and in some systems, than others.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3680
Well done John.

Username: Mr_hifi

I must agree with John!
Than again as you conclude "Fortunately, most reasonably priced, well-made cables address these problems to a very high degree."

Additionally as for your comment "Some just do a better job than others at addressing them... " I would add that if you happened to stumble over those particular cables and they are cheap than indeed buy them.

As for the sorry ones that do not happened to stumble over the "ultimate" cable, a regular one with good physical measurement will do just fine and the reminding budget will be better invested in other HiFi equipment e.g. amp or cd-player. A decently priced cable (without snake-oil dressing and hyper marketing) would be e.g. Blue Jeans cable (http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm) for 27-40 USD depending on length. No "breaking in" or other mumbo jumbo only pure physics and decent sound.

I have them myself in my system (Primare I30 integrated amp, cd-player Denon DVD 3910 solid state and/or Doge 6 tube cdp and B&W speakers) and are totally satisfied. Furthermore, I have been able to fault/differentiate pretty much any of the other component in my system in blind test comparison. However, never cables, except for "bad" ones (read very strange physical measurements or bad quality construction) which will clearly filter the signal.

So to tie back to the original question/problem, of course you can hear a difference if the cable (with its "bad" physics or construction) filter the signal. I would even go so far as to say that you can sort a "over" bright or "over" bassed system with different cables. However that clearly comes with a price since these are cables which actually are losing/filtering out some of your frequency range. If your budget allow, I would rather recommend that you try to change one or several of the other components to get a better system matching to resolve the problem. This will let you keep as much as possible of the original signal from source to speaker in a desirable manner.

Finally, if your cables are short (if cd is on top of amp you would not need more than a feet/30cm) you might even get away with a par of really expensive (snake oiled) RCAs without any large problems.......

//Magnus

Gold Member

Post Number: 5274
Magnus, you are correct.
A 'better' cable is sufficient in 99% of the users here.
Just like MR did, just go a bit above the norm, and you will be really good most of the time.
If only the general buying public would pay attention...

Gold Member

Post Number: 5275
BTW, how much more cool can a name be than 'Magnus'?.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1040
Icenus?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5286
Granted.
Rantz, your Greek has paid off, finally.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1041
For the tin ears on this thread, I'll repeat my cable (interconnect) experience.

See my profile for associated equip, but when I got my C542 I was using Monster Interlink 1400 MKII cable and the CDP sounded quite good - well I though extremely good actually. Prior I was using a Marantz CC4300 and a Denon 2900 both began with cheap (but better than those standard provided ones) IC's and the Monsters gave an little improvement in detail and a tad warmer bass.

When I was given the opportunity to test drive some Merlin IC's I was in for a big surprise at the difference good cables can make. They improved the high end detail, took the edge of vocals and some instruments from recordings that once suffered from this malaise , and really controlled the bass to a degree that one can follow every now well rounded, smooth and complete note regardless of the number of instruments in play. Attack and decay became more prominent and the player seemed to have a new sense of timing, although this because of the other benefits introduced by the Merlins.

Here's the strange part. My NAD C542 sounded so much better than my Denon 3910 (recent addition) when both connected with the Monsters. With the Merlins the NAD CDP surpassed the Denon in spades. But with the Merlins attached to both players, they sound 100% identical. I can only gather that the Merlins in some way offered far more improvement for the Denon. However, was the price I paid for three sets of Merlins (The Chopin for the pre/power amps and the Verdis for the CDP's to pre) worth it at a total cost of $725.00AU?

You bet it was! For the benefits they brought to four components it was, in real terms, a small price to pay. But, I would never have looked at or considered expensive (and these were from Merlin's standard range) cables if I hadn't been given them to test drive. Even my wife could tell the difference - I swapped them around without her knowing which was in play and she could pick the difference every time - and so she should have, they improved the sound quality to a degree that was quite obvious. For her to come to the same conclusion when spending this sort of money on wire really makes a statement here!

For those that think cable improvement is snake oil, well that's too bad, call us losers, we'll live with it, but those who know, know who's losing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5287
Very real time, Rantz.
So well stated.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1042
Well, I thank you sir!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5293
and a side of fries.
My shop offers those all the time.

Username: Mr_hifi

Post Number: 5
Mr Rantz,

I do not dispute your findings regarding the cables, however I think it is worth putting things in perspective.

You concluded that after spending $725.00AU on cables you could actually hear a difference.....(ok, point taken)

However, now instead assume that those $725.00AU had been invested in upgrading the weakest component in that same system e.g. the cd-player. Then only a very unwise upgrade would have been less than enough for all our, hearing impedimented, grand parents to detect.

(Not to mention that that nice "sweetening" of the rough top-end and "tightening" of the bloomy bass is in reality most of the time a restriction of the band-with and/or signal filtering of the insufficiently matched system.)

Cheers mate! ;-)

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1050
Thankyou for your opinion, Mr HiFi!

It completely changed my way of thinking and convinced me I ought to run out and buy a better system or pay a small fortune for mods.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5311
hifi, you are a fool.
Look at this kit that Rantz has.
This is the circumstance when a suitable set of reasonable IC's work the best!

The gear is in place, the listening space is in order, now the finishing touch, as per taste.

The cables are a must for out of the box stuff, mainly, excepting Naim or Rega for 'regular' enthusiest use.
The step Rantz made will follow for any further system changes in the future, no doubt.

Your cable knowledge is poor, your judgement of equipment even lame.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1052
Nuck, don't be too harsh on Mr hifi, I mean look at his handle - He's Mr hifi fer Pete's sake.

He must really know everything about hifi.

Anyway, back to my inadequate system, I guess I'll just have to suffer it!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5314
Yeah, MR, and Homer Simpson is Mr. Plow

Bronze Member
Username: Overdoze

Post Number: 20
I thought this a mildly amusing maturish thread, until that is I read the last four posts.
Jelly and icecream anyone?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1080
What? Now you find it VERY amusing?

And no thanks to the jelly and icecream. Health first and all that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
For what it's worth -- just upgraded to a Rega Cursa / Maia and also picked up a reconditioned 20 yr old pair of McIntosh XR16's. Decided to play with the IC between the pre and amp. Completely different sound between Kimber PBJ's and my ProFlex. So much for previously stated "no difference", which annoys me a little as now I have something else to obsess over.

P.S. The PBJ eliminated some mid-bass bloom but I found my high end a little brittle. The ProFlex feels a little more effortless in the bottom, but muted. Friggin' A.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1580
Jeff, maybe those happy with their Ipod's may know something.

Congrats on the new gear. Very nice!

Bronze Member
Username: Dudywoxer

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 28
Jeff, if you can 'borrow' some from a dealer try some chord cobra's between the cursa/maia

Username: Lonewolf0715

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 5
As I understood it from folks like Frank A., room acoustics have much more effect than changing cables would. Perhaps just moving the speakers a little might help more, if that's possible.

Just my own uninformed opinion on the matter...! :-)

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2172
Gary,

Everything makes a difference. There's no point on spending money on cables until everything else is in order. Spend the money after all the 'free tweaks' have been settled. Also keep in mind that a very subtle difference in an audition at a store can become a very big difference with your own music, gear, and room over a course of a few years. If you hang on to gear for a substantial amount of time, you'll notice very small changes far more easily than if you heard something once or twice at a dealer.

I hate to say it, but the right cables are just as much a part of a system as anything else. There may be the most amount of wiggle room with them than any other part, but if you think they're really insignificant and all the same, you're selling yourself short. That doesn't mean they need to be expensive.

Username: Lonewolf0715

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 7
Stu, you are right, of course. I'm in the process of rebuilding my "cheapie" stereo system, and once the "free tweaks" have been done, I will have to investigate the issue of interconnects and speaker cables. So far, all I've got is the receiver (a Proton), and awaiting receipt of a pair of Polk RTI6s, and a Goldring TT. Choice of a CD player is still in progress.

But, in the spirit of this thread, could the choice of cables be dependent, as are the speakers and other components, on the room acoustics as well? What sounds great in a hifi shop's (probably) superior acoustic environment may mot make much difference at all in my apartment, right? So, even if I was able to drag my equipment down to the shop (which I'm not), it may still be a flawed test. I guess we have no other better test, though. Relatively speaking, cables are the least expensive and easiest to replace parts of the system.

I guess I'm just stating the obvious...:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 46
IC's truly are a "component". I'm a recent convert, having tried everything to remove some harshness from my system, and got some great help here on this forum. However, once I strapped in a set of Kimber PBJ's a tremendous amount of my problem disappeared. The difference was not subtle.

I ultimately had to replace my cdp to really get what I wanted, but for $120, the cables were the best improvement per dollar spent. And, they pretty much last forever.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8933
Good for you Chris.
Sometimes things 'work' and sometimes not.
It's a PITA to find the right one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us