Am I hearing things?

confused22
Unregistered guest
I have Monitor Audio S2 as my mains. I was using an older Yamaha(?model) and found a Marantz SR5400 at a great price 5 months ago. I have been pretty unimpressed. It sounds nice for 2 channel, but 5.1 for movies, even 2.1 for movies, is very unimpressive. In some ways I preferred the much older Yamaha. At first I thought there wouldn't be any real difference in sound. I dont know, the Marantz sounds somewhat dull to me. So is it time to move on, and if so, which receiver do I move too? Any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2311
> I dont know, the Marantz sounds somewhat dull to me.

You probably prefer the Yamaha's "bright" sound to the Marantz's "warmth."

> So is it time to move on, and if so, which receiver do I move too? Any suggestions?

Run to your nearest Circuit City and take the $250 all-digital Panasonic sa-xr55 for a spin, return it if you dislike it which I'd doubt highly. That all-digital technology yields jaw-dropping detail with zero distortion and bottomless power compared to analog receivers costing several times more.

I know, I have a Marantz 5400 that I'll be selling soon myself! There are big big threads on this Panny on this forum as well as the avsforum.com just do a quick search.

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 451
Out of curiousity, how much will you be selling it for?

confused22
Unregistered guest
So Edster, you dont think the Panasonic would have any problem running 6ohm speakers?
I was looking around at the new Yamahas, Denon 3805, Nad, and the new Outlaw receiver. That would be great if I could get away with a $250 receiver.
So you prefer the Panasonic to your Marantz?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2315
DA,

$350 shipped, personal check or money order only.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2316
confused,

It's a long story but here goes: I went from an Onkyo 601 to the Marantz 5400 to some vintage NAD separates (used the amp to power the mains during HT with the Marantz doing the surrounds and center, the pre-amp for 2-channel music).

Onkyo to Marantz: significant improvement in music performance, the Onkyo was kind of dead and hollow sounding to my ears, the Marantz more musical and "live"---significant though not quite earthshaking.

Marantz to NAD separates: *huge* improvement, the NAD created a solid wall of sound, much stronger bass, even more musical, and ungodly amounts of headroom.

NAD to Panny xr55: spectacular detail and irresistible smoothness without any undue brightness (my Ascend speakers deserve a lot of the credit for that last characteristic) and most surprisingly of all, no distortion or loss of fullness at extremely loud volumes (90-95db)! The bass from the Panny is not as heavy as the NAD's but instead is much tighter and faster, integrates better with even my sorry JBL e150 subwoofer.

Yeah try the Panny by all means, and post your thoughts here. No lose proposition with that CC return policy...

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 452
What!!! You don't take Visa?!?!?!?!

Ohh well, that's out of my price bracket anyways, not that I'm really in the market for a receiver. I have some old Teac receiver collecting dust in the basement and my trusty Onkyo. Although I suppose I could pull an accounting scandal on my wife if I were particularly devious...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2318
> Although I suppose I could pull an accounting scandal on my wife if I were particularly devious...

LOL!!! Not that I haven't tried one of those myself on occasion...

Anonymous

confused, I had a Marantz 7300 before and now I'm using a Panny XR25. The improvement/experience is exactly like how Ed describes it.

Give the Panny a try - I think you'll be surprised how good it is.

Cheers!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5921

Now, ed, explain why anyone would want to pay more for a used Marantz than they could pay for the Panasonic. You've got to realize the market for what it is, ed. Like cars, when 0% became the norm, the used car market took a hit. The used receiver market is not what is was before the Panasonic came along. So what's the best offer on the Marantz? What's it gonna take to move it on down the road?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1830
"You probably prefer the Yamaha's "bright" sound to the Marantz's "warmth."

Perhaps the old Yamaha is bright but my new one is not. Not even compared to the Marantz. I too own the SR5400. I also own an NAD T763 and a new Yamaha RX-V657. The Yamaha is my my favorite of the 3.

The Yamaha is anything but bright, it's neutral. For $350-400 it's a great buy and in my opinion the best in it's price range.

Read the article in the latest "The Perfect Vision" about the Yammie.

There are a few missing features on that Panny that folks are neglecting to tell ya. Do some research.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/reviews/pdf_reviews/RX-V657review.pdf

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_3/yamaha-rx-v657-receiver-8-2005.html

Good luck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2326
Jan,

see, I'm counting on the diehard analog folks like you and Art to cough up the extra dough! : )

Plus those who feel that $230 cannot possibly buy you a good receiver... (Where's Paul been lately?)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2327
Art,

> The Yamaha is my my favorite of the 3.

Surely you aren't including music listening in that statement? Whoa.

Bronze Member
Username: Steelhrd

Post Number: 36
I keep telling you guys to give the new yamaha a chance. Especially the 2500 with the peq imposed.the sound is great for music.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1833
I couldn't do any music listening with the NAD due to the HUM! I talked to my friend the local NAD dealer and he said that they have been replacing the analog board on the NAD AVR's and curing the hum problem. If that's the case I might just have 3 AVR's in a 1068 sq ft house. I guess I could use the Yammie as an FM/XM tuner..lol !!!

Na, I've watched several movies and the Yammie is doing quite well. Yesterday I bought a Magnum Dynalab Silver Ribbon FM antenna and the reception is just killer. Wow !

confused22
Unregistered guest
FWIW I was just at Barnes and Noble. The new edition of The Absolute Sound was there and they had a review of the Yamaha RX-V657.
The reviewer said it it the best affordable receiver he has ever heard.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1834
I was and am about to comment on that back at my original thread relating to that receiver.

confused22
Unregistered guest
Edster,
Have you heard the new Yamaha RX-V657?
or has anyone heard the Panasonic sa-xr55 and the Yamaha?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2333
I have not heard the Yammie but Art here is one picky mofo so if he says it's good I'd take his word for it. : )

As for the Panny, I own it (see huge thread in this section) and would confidently put it up against any AVR out there for sheer SQ in a blind listening test.

confused22
Unregistered guest
so Edster you are using it for 2 channel as well as HT?

confused22
Unregistered guest
so Edster you are using it for 2 channel as well as HT?

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 51
confused,

I completely understand you. I'm in a similar situation. Also had a Yamaha and bought a Marantz SR8400 at a great price. First, I had a hard time learning how to control it (which drove me crazy). Now, I'm still wondering which sound do I prefer. I already started to like the sound of the new Marantz/Ascend set up, but the fact that I also made a huge improvement on the speakers confuses me. I was going to disconnect the Marantz this weekend and return the Yammie to my HT. However, yesterday my wife did the favour of frying up the Yammie, while listening to FM, in the living room. She turned it on with my old turntable on it, so it heated up and collapsed. The display went off and you can smell something burnt.

Sometimes I feel the Marantz processing makes some DVD concerts weird (or dull...), voices seem laid back (is it "warmth"?), it doesn't have DSP modes like the Yammie, it sends less sound for the surrounds (maybe that's why you disliked 5.1) etc. I must admit I also feel that the Marantz is more refined, but maybe DVDs and CDs are a poor source and doesn't require all that quality (I use a cheap player), so the type of sound (bright/laid back etc) might make more difference then the clarity. Most likely, for SACD and DVD-A it should be another story.

For movies however, my new HT is awesome and now I watch more films than concerts, while with the old system it was the opposite.

So, try this Panny (Ed has consistently told wonders about it...), but if you like the Yammie try it too (Art is very happy with his new model).

And again, like me, just relax: we paid a bargain on the Marantz.

BTW, if my Yammie gets to be fixed and I decide to get rid of the Marantz, I can resell it here in Brazil by at least twice the price I paid at uBid... .

confused22
Unregistered guest
Jorge
I think that is my gameplan. I honestly feel underwhelmed with the Marantz, as much as I have tried to make myself love it. I have heard many different types of gear, some of it in my home. I was looking at some NAD or the new Outlaw receiver, but maybe the Panny is worth a shot.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2348
confused,

yes the Panny is flawless for both functions, even though I originally bought it for 2-channel.

Just try it out, you have nothing to lose going through Circuit City.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us