For the money, what other pre-pro / amp combo compares with . . .

slabboard
Unregistered guest
the Outlaw 950 and 7100? Used, you can get both of these units for around $900. All things considered -- price, performance, technology -- what other combo can touch it?

Would this be a better option than an A/V receiver like the Rotel 1056?

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 141
slab, where'd you see that?
I need both

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 734
They both have inadequate technology if you go for modern HDTV displays with HDMI, DVI-both equipped with HDCP protection. Buying anything with only component connections for AV use will only last with your TV as long as the FCC and the Satellite and cable companies aren't forced to go total digital (supposedly between now and 2007). The future (and quite a bit of the present) is HDMI, DVI, and firewire (i-link).

Component connections won't carry HDCP copy protection--demanded by the broadcasting companies to prevent copying the high quality HDTV signals. So eventually your component connections will likely cease sending an HDTV signal to your HDTV and it will breakdown to standard 480i. Obviously, satellite companies will fight this as quite a few of their customers don't have the assets to upgrade to HDMI DVD's and HDMI receivers. The cable companies probably won't like it either, but more of them have the assets to help out those without the modern technology. Particularly if you promise to give the cable company your telephone and internet service. They are potentially wired for damn near everything.

Back to original answer--if you mostly listen to stereo or basic surround and don't mind risking the obsolescence of your pre-amp or receivers pre-amp--then go ahead.

The new Outlaw receiver at least has DVI and costs $899.

As I don't know the speakers you have, your room size, your television, and your expectations, giving good advice is difficult-if not impossible.

Anyway, if it is an absolute choice between the two you mentioned, I would get the Outlaw. For one major reason--the amp will always be good even if you have to upgrade your pre-amp.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us