Replacing my old hk pm665vxi

itazura
Unregistered guest
I have a late 1980's integrated amp from harman kardon (model pm665vxi) that has served me well all these years. Lately, however, some of the switches have started to go bad and I spend more time than I'd like toggling and twisting input controls to get a clean signal to the speakers. Aside from that recent development, I've always thought the sound of the amp was very lively and clean -- no complaints. I also like that the old amp has both MM and MC phono inputs.

But anyway -- the crackling and popping is getting too frequent, and I'm now hunting around for a new integrated amp that will at least measure up to the HK and cost me less than $700-$800 (preferably considerably less).

I listen primarily to jazz at reasonable volumes (the volume control on the HK amp -- which was realistically rated at a clean 150WPC -- rarely made it beyond 7:00!), but I will throw in the occasional rock, pop, classical, etc.

I've read positive reviews of NAD, Cambridge Audio, and Rotel amps. Any others I should consider? I want something with a phono preamp (MM).

And on a more specific point, can anyone suggest a good retail store in northern VA or Washington DC where I could audition a good range of candidate amps and/or a good online source in the U.S. for integrated amps in this price range?

Many thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Loce

Lilburn, GA

Post Number: 15
A few thoughts:

Have you considered having your HK repaired and possibly upgraded?

You might want to consider auditioning or researching one of the vintage Sansui integrated amplifiers such as the AU 517, 717, or 917. You would be getting a clean, powerful amp with the phono inputs and excellent stereo imaging. I listened to several of the modern amplifiers you listed but my old school ears never could quite attune with them.

Sorry, but I don't know any specific stores in the area where you live but I'm certain you can sleuth the Intenet for that info.

itazura
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the reply.

I've called a few local repair shops, but when I've described the problem, I've been told that the necessary parts to fix the noisy switches are unavailable. I've e-mailed HK directly for information on repair/parts options, but haven't heard back. I've tried spraying connections with a bit of contact cleaner, and that sometimes alleviates the problems for a few weeks, but the noise inevitably comes back with time. But I admit, my first choice would be to keep this amp.

I have a vintage Sansui tuner that I love, so I'm on the same page with you as far as older Sansui solid state equipment goes. And I'm also with you on the modern amps. I think the PM line of HK integrateds has been strangely overlooked. I haven't auditioned a huge number of more recent alternatives, but I've heard my share, including some things costing well above my comfort range in terms of price, and I've always been a bit disappointed.

Your reply has spurred me to pursue repair/cleaning options with more vigor. I've always really loved the sound of this amp, so why abandon ship after 15 years!

Bronze Member

Lilburn, GA

Post Number: 16
On the Audiokarma.org forum, there is a person who goes by the nickname of merrylander. I believe he repairs vintage receivers. You might want to also check the list of sponsors and vendors found on that Web site for some leads on repair shops that could fix your vintage amp.

Of course, I would suspect that many of these shops would require that you ship your HK, which would add to your expenses.

I'm hoping to add a tuner to my set up soon.

Good luck.

Unregistered guest
Hi, my name is Randy and I have the same amplifier; however, I am having trouble with the volume control. If your volume control is still good, would you consider "parting
it out" or selling the whole amp at a reasonable price? You can contact me at candrrodewald@aol.com
Thank you!!

itazura
Unregistered guest
Well I just wanted to chime back in here. Funny how these things work out. I basically took everybody's advice. I did, in fact, do some reading on the Sansui amps, and liked what I read so much that I bought a used AU-717. However, when the amp arrived, the left channel died on me within a few minutes of powering up. So I followed up on your advice, Byron, and "merrylander" from the AK forum is now fixing the Sansui for me. As for the HK amp that started all of this, I think I'm going to go ahead and get that cleaned up and, if necessary, repaired, as well. In the end, it will still probably cost me less than I would have spent on a new integrated amp, and I'll end up with two restored amps that I know I'm likely to really enjoy (one because I've already enjoyed it for years, and the other because so many people can't be wrong about the Sansui!). Thanks again for your suggestions.

Bronze Member

Lilburn, GA

Post Number: 20
I'm glad matters have worked out to your advantage. Let me know sometime how you like the Sansui AU-717. I appreciate the clean power and great stereo imaging mine offers. The phono preamp is quite clean, as well. I've been listening to albums again for the first time in years after acquiring and repairing a old Thorens turntable.

I've got a back up, too, a Mitsubishi R-35 receiver, from 1983, rated at 85 watts per channel and a reliable, stready performer for the last 22 years.

itazura
Unregistered guest
Finally got the au-717 back from repair today, and wow! It sounds absolutely fantastic -- much better than I had expected. Throws out a remarkable soundstage with superb imaging. The amount of detail is really surprising to me, too. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the old Sansui amps, Byron -- never would have considered going that way had you not suggested it, but now that I've heard the Sansui, I'm convinced that nothing this side of $1000 could have bought me a better "new" amp.

Bronze Member

Lilburn, GA

Post Number: 21
I agree. I listened to several NADs and Adcoms plus some of the more commerical lines of receivers and felt like something was missing. Once I heard the Sansui, I had a eureka moment. There is plenty of depth, lots of clean sound, and precise imaging.

Username: Redeldo

Rome, Georgia

Post Number: 2
Good Morning, I am new to the forum. I need to ask a similar question but unsure if I need a New Thread. I apologise if this question is improper.

Used to go to the AudioKarma until it folded. I had been using it to stay in touch with "Merrylander" about doing the some maintenance work to mine but had not sent a regular email. Does anyone have his email so I can reach him about my Yamaha K300? Thanks and I hope to be able to add my 2 cents (minus 1 cent - newbie!) to the forum.

Wayne

itazura
Unregistered guest
Wayne -- send me an e-mail at itazura underscore da at hotmail and I'll give you merrylander's address.

Bronze Member

Lilburn, GA

Post Number: 22
Wayne, AudioKarma is now back on line after being knocked out by a database corruption.

Also, you are not too far from Audio Atlanta, an AK sponsor, and I wonder if the repair techs their could help, too. (There are a couple of other shops such as Wizard Electronics and Audio Alternatives in the ATL where you might also get help with your vintage gear if Merryland cannot help for a bit. )

Username: Redeldo

, Northwest Ge...

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the heads up, I will check out AK and see what is going on. I tried to send "itazura" an email but I guess it got lost in cyber space.

I have a pair of Infinity RSa speakers at Audio Atlanta being repaired. Hopefully they will have them completed here in the next several days. The room looks naked without them in the usual place. When I pick them up, maybe they can look at the Dual CS508 TT and see whats causing the heckacious hum! Maybe in the ground wire or the RCA line or some connection in the tonearm.

What is the location of Wizard Electronics and Audio Alternatives? Do they have a website?

Bronze Member

Lilburn, GA

Post Number: 23
Wayne: Here are the Web sites for the two shops. Note that I have no personal experience with either yet, but I have a Mitsubishi integrated amp that is ill and my Speakerlab speakers need to be refoamed again (it's been 12 years) so I will be checking both out at some point, likely after New Years.

www.wizardelectronics.com located near I-85 and North Druid Hills

www.avalternative.com located in Lilburn on Indian Trail off I-85

Unregistered guest
Hello all, I would just like to pass a comment about the "repairs from shops". As a former technician in a repair I know that most of the time when they say "parts can't be found", it might be true, but that does not mean it can't be repaired. In the case of swithches, (pushbuttons) most can be replaced by identical parts. If not the switch can be taken apart meticulously and be cleaned. We all know this is time-consuming most likely, which is why repair shops won't do them, it MAKES PERFECT SENSE I UNDERSTAND THIS, but the owner should not discard it because of that.
In my opinion, a repair is always possible, even when it means having a new mechanical part being fabricated by a metal shop. OK that's expensive but not impossible. I have seen alot of good audio equipment being thrown in the dumpster, for reasons which evade me. all I know is that these items were probably all repairable and much worth the repair TO SOMEONE WHO CARES ABOUT IT. I am one of those persons. In conclusion, I am always on the lookout for broken audio equipment that is on the edge of the garbage can, or in some cases already in it!
I hope none of you have ever thrown away any Optonica or Mitsubishi audio components...
anyway thanks for letting me ramble.

Bronze Member

Lilburn, GA

Post Number: 26
307: I imagine you appreciate vintage gear and wonder if you have checked out www.audiokarma.org. You might feel at home there. I'm still using my Mitusbishi receiver I bought in 1983 and will get a Mitsubishi integrated amp repaired as a backup.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us