Denon 3805 on screen setup

Username: Newataudio

Post Number: 2
Hey guys and gals,

I am a newbie at this stuff, so bear with me please. I have just set up these components in a surround environment:

SONY KDF-70XBR950
connected directly to HR10-250 High Definition DVR via HDMI to DVI video cable ( and Monster audio analog for TV only sound)

Denon 3805s AVR used for 5.1 surround connected to HR10-250 via fiber optic cable input #1

Panasonic S97S DVD connected directly to Sony TV via component video, with the audio connected directly to Denon 3805 both by fiber optic #2 as well as (3) pairs of red/white into 3805 'external in' inputs.

Question #1: How can I get the on-screen (TV) setup to display on my Sony for the 3805? I assume that since I am bypassing the 3805 by connecting the TiVo box directly to the TV, this is the cause. Is there a connection by which I can still video-connect the 3805 to the TV?

#2: Is this the optimal way (in your opinions) in which to connect these 4 devices? Should I run the TiVo box through the 3805, or leave it and achieve the HDMI>DVI video?

#3: Will I be able to 'tell' if I'm getting use of both the analog/RCA/3-pair connection of the DVD player as well as the #2 optical?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

newataudio

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 337
Doug the lack of an HDMI connector on the 3805 makes this just a bit on the inconvinient side. However you can still connect all your other devices (Tivo, DVD, VCR etc.) directly to the 3805 via the best connection possible (and that would be in this order: 1)Optical /Component 2)Optical/S-video 3)Composit), then run a set of component cable from the 3805 (monitor Out on the top right hand corner) to your TV.

This way you can control all your units from the 3805 and have all sounds go through the amp and all video through the TV. This will also allow you to see the 3805 menu on your TV.

You can then connect the DVR via the HDMI cable to the TV. When watching things on the DVR you need to switch the TV input from the 3805 to the DVR and thus the inconvinience, but that is the best resolution possible so it's worth it.

If you have component/optical cable from one unit to the 3805 and then to the TV you don't need an RCA.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the advice Stof. I'll redirect the DVD to hit the 3805, then out to the TV. One last clarifier though:

I've been advised that in order to get the best DVD-A and/or SACD, I should connect my DVD player using 3 pairs of RCA's input to the 3805 via the 'external in' inputs. Do you or anyone else know more regarding this?

Thanks a bunch,

Newataudio

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 136
You need to use the "6-channel" or "8-channel" analog ins for multi-channel SACD; some receivers/players support HDMI or Firewire or DenonLink (i think that's what it's called) to play multi-channel DVD-A, but the analogs will do just fine.

Post Number: 4
ZiggyZoggy,

My 3805 does have the Denon link (CAT 5 cable) connection, but my CD/DVD/DVD-A player, which is the Panny S97S, does not. So do I need to have a digital/optical cable connecting the DVD/CD player as well as the 3 pairs of analogs? This IS how I have it now, or can I just do one or the other?

In other words, if I play a regular DVD that has digital audio, will it/does it use the optical connection to the receiver, or the 3 pairs of external ins?

I'm gettin' confusious,

newataudio

Post Number: 5
Sorry I wasn't specific when I said 'if I play a regular DVD that has digital audio'. What I mean by this is, if I am watching a DVD that has digital Dolby etc. does IT use the optical connection vs. the analog 3-pair?

And if I play a SACD or DVD-A, does it then use the 3-pair analog connection, and NOT the digital/optical?

Hope this makes sense,

newataudio

Silver Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 138
The default setting in the Panny for DVDs should be the Optical connection, and for SACD/DVD-a should be the 3 pairs of analogs. If you have both plugged in, you're fine. If there is no Digital Cable plugged in, the Panny will play DVD outputs through the analog plugs using its internal processors and DAC, but I would hazard a guess that the processor and DAC of the 3805 are far superior to those in the Panny.

Post Number: 6
Pershiate all the help Ziggymeister. Makes me feel a lot more at ease.

Silver Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 139
no problem

Silver Member

Post Number: 339
Doug remember that the Component cable (what I think you are calling 3 pair analog: Red Green Blue cable) is for video only. You need that in combination of the Optical cable to get both (or either) audio and video. So this is not a choice. If you have this setup already then forget the red and white and yellow RCA's altogether

It seems that you have 2 HDMI devices and only one input on the Sony TV. Do you want to buy an HDMI switch of some kind?

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 925
Stof, I think Doug is talking about the multiple analogue outputs, not component. 3 pairs makes 5.1 surround sound.

Doug, if you connect both the multi-outputs and the digital connection to the Multi-input connection and a digital input of the 3805, the digital input should be used for DVD-V discs (typically movies). DVD-V discs are the ones where the soundtrack is encoded in either DTS or Dolby Digital normally.

Regards,
Frank.

Now the multi-input (External In) connections on the 3805 will accept the analogue outputs of the DVD player. This mode of connection is predominantly for SACD and DVD-A reproduction. These high resolution formats are for music-only surround sound discs, and until recently it was not legal to transfer their content digitally. This has been circumvented using the Denon link and Pioneer iLink schemes, but your Panasonic hasn't got the necessary connection to support this. Therefore the only way you will get SACD or DVD-A full resolution is via the analogue multi-input on the 3805. You simply won't get any sound at all if you try to use the digital connection.

This means that for SACD and DVD-A, you need to use the DVD player's speaker setup facility to set up the levels for the speakers since you're bypassing the 3805's D/A conversion and processing. I believe it also means that you have to manually switch over to the 5.1 multi-input on the 3805 when playing an SACD or DVD-A. The problem is you may forget to switch back to the digital input when you want to watch a movie. It should still sound OK, but the D/A conversion will be happening in the DVD player rather than the 3805. The 3805 is likely to have better D/A conversion than the DVD player for movies.

Silver Member

Post Number: 342
I stand corrected.

I was thinking too much about the video feed.

In regards to the switching back and forth, I don't know about the Denon unit, but my Marantz manual makes mention of the fact that if multiple connections are use, it will analyze the inputs per music selection and automatically choose the best connection to use. You may want to look that up in the manual Doug.

Post Number: 7
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input and energy regarding this. Last night I tried a few combinations. What I seemed to find surprised me in the video sense:

When I ran component video from the Panny DVD, to the 3805, then component out to the monitor/TV, the picture did NOT seem as clear as running component video directly from the Panny to the TV. I've been led to assume that the 3805 has such superior handling, etc. that either it wouldn't matter, or would be a better picture.

Since I determined that the video is clearer by running component directly to the TV instead of through the 3805, I used what became a spare set of components to connect the 3805 to the TV for the OSD (it works, and this is the only connection running out of the 3805 and into the TV.)

Regarding audio:

Initially last night, I had the DVD-V (Gladiator and Sin City) using the Ext. In connection via the 3 pairs of analog, and yes I did have to manually adjust the 3805 to this. What I found was that all the sound was being put to the 5 surround speakers, but the subwoofer wasn't getting anything. I don't understand this still........ but, I finally figured out how to configure my digital optical in #2 for the DVD player (Optical #1 is for the DVR/TiVo box directly). This allowed for DTS Dolby to function AND the subwoofer to do its job.

I have yet to own a SACD or DVD-A. Any suggestions on these? Also, is my subwoofer not getting any 'juice' while playing a DVD-V (in Ext. in mode) because it's not a SACD or DVD-A? Therefore, when I do test a SACD or DVD-A, should my sub then work?

Lastly, my lowly Panny S97S mentions that it plays DVD-A, but does not list the SACD acronym. Can it handle SACD's, or do I have to be specific when shopping, and look for DVD-A only?

Oh and Stof, regarding the HDMI issue, I do have only one input on the TV, and it's a DVI input. I have a HDMI to DVI cable running from my HR10-250 DVR directly to the DVI on the TV. I watch tons more hi-def NFL, ESPN, etc. so I 'gave' the connection to TV/DVR. However, as I mentioned above, using the component directly from DVD to the TV still produces an outstanding pic that I wouldn't be able to differentiate from HDMI or DVI.

Thanks,

Long thread & newataudio

Bronze Member
Username: Gas_wyoming

Cody, WY

Post Number: 33
I'll have to admit the 3805 made me buy a Denon 3910 DVD. I'm hooking up the audio through the DenonLink and saving the DVD's HDMI for input to the Sony LCD. This gave me a way to use the DenonLink and HDMI. The 3910 is pretty awesome as a universal player IMO.

However, I am really in need of a dealer that can give me a new power cord for the 3805. It was damaged pretty badly in my recent move across the state of Wyoming! Anyone know where I can find a new power cord? I ordered one from the local audio store, but they got a messge back from their Denon supplier that it was backordered. Any ideas would be 'preshiated'.

Silver Member

Post Number: 361
I think any heavy duty power cord should do. Is there something special about the Denon power cords?

Unregistered guest
I just came into some money and slpurged on a denon 3805 and a 3910.
I'm having a hard time getting the denon link cable to work, the manuals and calls to audiophile friends have not helped.

Does anyone know how to get this function to work
and is it worth it.

Thanks for any info that helps.

Bronze Member
Username: Gas_wyoming

Cody, WY

Post Number: 35
Take heart...It was a little hard to get it to work for me also. The DL output on the 3910 has to be set to "2nd Edition" in the menus. Have you checked that setting first?

On whether it's worth it??? ABSOLUTELY!!! I am hearing things out of my CD's, DVD audio I haven't before the DL was connected.

Let me know and we can go to step 2 if that doesn't work. Good Luck!

gas
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us