Toshiba SD-3980

Username: Dj88

Post Number: 5
well, after doing some research and auditioning CD players in the 500-1000 range i ended up buying toshiba sd-3890 for 50 bucks (demo) at best buy.

some may think i'm crazy, but i didn't notice a $450 difference between this CD and the ones I listened to, which included:

music hall cd25.2
denon 3910, 2910
marantz cd-5400, and a m. dvd player forget the model
pionner elites
harman kardon

i'm using my analysis-plus interconnets and a jolida 502 tube amp powering a pair of 602 s3's

bass is nice, music is clean, non fatiguing and almost as pure as the vinyl sound out of my table (Music Hall MMF-5)

maybe I'm missing something but for I now, i'm extremely satisfied with this purchase

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2292
That's amazing but certainly not impossible. It can also depends on the rest of your system. For instance the Marantz 4300 cdp didn't sound much different from my vintage Sony ES in a shop running some $1500 Monitor Audio towers, but at home on my Ascend 340s (costing 1/3 as much as the MAs) blew away the Sony.

That Toshiba has gotten similarly surprising buzz on a few audio forums though.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2299
BTW, is there any way that the shop where you listened to all those higher-end CDPs would allow you to bring in the Toshiba for a side by side test? I'd be very curious to hear how that turns out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us