A really screwed up connection for a sub

Username: Neildomini

Boca raton, Fl Usa

Post Number: 1
I purchased a 5.1 surround sound system off of a friend, but when I bought it I didn't know how much trouble it would cause me. The connection in the back of the sub it by far the most retarded i've ever seen. There is no monoaural out/in like on most subs. Instead there is 4 connections. There are 2 inputs (left/right) from the reciever to the sub and there's also 2 output (left/right) for the satellites. I tried buying a Y-cable (one male, two females) to attempt plugging the sub directly into reciever, because I feel like I'm lacking on bass. I set up the 5.1 mode on the reciever and still no sound. I'm not sure if anybody can figure this out, but it makes me want to throw my sub up against the wall and stomp on it. Please help!!!!

NEil

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2573
"There are 2 inputs (left/right) from the reciever to the sub"
-----------------------
You only need to connect the RCA into one of the inputs. Either one will do.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5864

Time to calm down, Neil. And, ignore Paul's response. There's a good chance he's given you bad advice.

If there are two outputs for the subwoofer, usually only one of the two is designated as the mono output. Typically it is the right channel connection though it would be wise to check your owner's manual to make certain that's correct for your receiver. Are there two outputs on the receiver and two inputs on the sub?

Unfortunately, this sentence does not make clear what the situation is; "There are 2 inputs (left/right) from the reciever to the sub and there's also 2 output (left/right) for the satellites." You do not get signal "from" the "inputs". You can only get signal "from" outputs. Sorry to be so didactic, but the answer you want is dependent upon the information you provide. And, I can only assume the outputs for the satellites are on the receiver and not on the sub itself. What type of connectors are these? RCA plugs or speaker outputs? Do you know whether the sub has an amplifier built into it or if it is powered by the receiver's outputs?

Most importantly, have you just asked this friend who sold the system to you how it gets hooked together?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2579
Unfortunately, this sentence does not make clear what the situation is; "There are 2 inputs (left/right) from the reciever to the sub and there's also 2 output (left/right) for the satellites." You do not get signal "from" the "inputs". You can only get signal "from" outputs.
-------------------------
If you had any reading comprehension ability or common sense, you'd have seen that he was clearly describing the the two rca inputs on the back of the subwoofer. He also clearly described how he used a 'y' adaptor so that he could use both inputs. I guess coming from you, the confusion doesnt surprise me in the least.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5869

Very nice, p. Always an insult at the ready.

Neil, please clarify your statement.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 410
Some units come with a fuse inside. Unscrew the plate amp, and check into it.

Username: Neildomini

Boca raton, Fl Usa

Post Number: 2
Alright, sorry to stir up such an arguement. Let me explain again, because i can see where this can get confusing.

My reciever has one monoaural (RCA) output for a sub-woofer.

The sub has 2 inputs, one left and one right for the low end. Also, there are two outputs for the surround speakers, one left and one right for the high end.

When I tried to hook up the Y cable from the receiver to the input on the low end of the sub, there was no sound. I checked the settings on the reciever too, making sure it was setup for 5.1 with the sub turned on. Still nothing.

I'm seriously considering throwing this thing out. It's not worth the hassle.

neil

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 414
What make and model is this sub?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2600
My reciever has one monoaural (RCA) output for a sub-woofer.

The sub has 2 inputs,
------------
I knew exactly what you were saying. I cant promise you this will fix you problem, but try losing the "Y" connection. It's not necessary.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 415
Try process of elimination;

Check the RCA and Y cables to make sure they are good.

Unscrew the sub and wire it to another source to see if the sub itself is not blown.

Also hook up a known working sub in its place to see if the amp is no good.

Out of these three steps, you will determine what to focus on next.

If your sub will not play even through another source, then you have no choice than to replace it. It may be that the subwoofer you have would be cheaper to buy a new set, than to replace the blown sub.

If the amp is not working even with another known working sub, then you may have to trouble shoot the circuitry inside the box. Like I said before; Some units have a fuse inside on the plate amp. Check that first. Also unscrew the plate amp, and inspect it for brown/melted traces on the pc board circuitry. If you do find a brown/melted spot in one of those thin solder looking circuits, you will have to take that plate amp to a qualified repair shop and have them bypass the burn ( if possible), otherwise your amp may be unrepairable. In this case it may be cheaper to purchase an entire new unit.

Last but not least;

Hook up the subwoofer to another working source. It may be that your reciever is at fault.

I would definetly make sure that I try all the settings on the reciever before I determine that the reciever is bad.

So there you have it. Process of elimination.

RCA and Y cable test
Raw speaker test
Plate amp test
Reciever test

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5889

Basically I agree with Mix's advice. Let me offer a step which might save you some work. Also see my other questions at the end of this post.

First, I would swap cables out with something new or of certain condition. Eliminate the "Y" connector for now. Try the left channel input first and then the right channel input to check for inoperative connections. Be aware that cables which check OK with a continuity tester can still have a break internally that might cause a wrong assumption about where the problem lies. It's best to use a cable you know is in good condition if you are troubleshooting.

Next, with the sub plugged into AC, the volume/gain control turned down to about 1/4, and the cable plugged into the sub but not the receiver, gently touch the center pin on the RCA connector at what would be the receiver end. With an open ground such as you now have, the sub should produce a 60Hz hum as long as you touch the connector. If you do not get this hum, you have a problem in the subwoofer. If you decide this is the case, take the grill cover off the sub and gently try pushing the subwoofer's driver inward. If it doesn't move at all, you probably have a blown speaker. If it moves but you get no sound when you touch the connector, the problem is almost certainly in the subwoofer's amplifier.

If I am reading correctly and the satellite speakers are fed from the sub and you get no sound from the satellites either, I would put my money, at this point, on the plate amplifier of the subwoofer being at fault. I say this because the division of frequencies is done in the amplifier's circuitry and this would account for no sound passing to the satellites.

If the sub checks out OK, proceed with mix's advice on checking the receiver.

p - Unless both legs of the "Y" connector are defective, the "Y" connector is not the problem here.

I am still confused somewhat about what is happening.

"because I feel like I'm lacking on bass. I set up the 5.1 mode on the reciever and still no sound."

"When I tried to hook up the Y cable from the receiver to the input on the low end of the sub, there was no sound."

Do you have bass but not enough in your opinion or do you have no sound what so ever? Do the satellites work but not the sub?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us