Is NAD C542 or CA 640C worth connecting to a micro system?

Username: Untukdownload

Post Number: 3
I feel like to buy CD player NAD C542 or CA 640C since my DVD player dissapoints me for the music (the picture quality is superb).

I learn from this forum that NAD C542 and CA 640C are very good cdps.

However, my system is a micro Yahama MCR-E600 (DVD+A/V receiver+stereo speakers), priced US$500. I wonder if connecting a cdp to the receiver could improve the musical quality significantly, considering that it could be not match with the receiver?

Any comment please? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2237
Probably not. You will not really hear the difference because most microsystems have garbage speakers. The first upgrade should therefore be better speakers, even cheap $100/pair bookshelves (see Athena AS-B1s at audioadvisor.com) will make a big difference as long as their impedance matches.

The low-cost but still excellent quality CDP I'd look at is the Marantz 4300, accessories4less.com has it for $142 shipped with 1 year Marantz warranty.

Spending $250 for the Marantz and the Athenas will yield a much better result than $400-500 for the NAD or Cambridge.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2239
PS. There's no such thing as "matching" a CDP and a receiver or amp, that's a non-issue. "Matching" the speakers to the receiver/amp however is more important.

If that Yamaha already sounds "bright" you might want to "tame" it with a "warm" speaker like a Polk RTi4 for instance.

Username: Untukdownload

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the advice. That helps me decide the change.

I am in the project of replacing the components, starting from the worst one until the sound is acceptable to my ears. I've tried to use my computer CD drive (directly from headphone jack) and diskman as the source. Both produce music better (better tonal balance and bass) compare to the DVD player.

The music from radio sounds more enjoyable to me as well. That is why I think the first candidate to replace is the cdp.

Yes, may be the amp and speakers are garbage, but is there a chance that in my case the worst comes from the CD player?

Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 2269
No, I don't think you'll hear more than a subtle difference with a new CDP and keeping your old speakers, certainly not any difference justifying a $400-500 outlay. Speakers are the single most important determiner of SQ, the receiver/amp second, and the CDP last.

Here's my experience:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/158402.html

Hell for the price of the NAD c542 you can buy a new receiver, bookshelf speakers, AND that Marantz CDP:

Panasonic pure digital sa-xr55, $230 shipped from Amazon

Athena AS-B1s, $100 from audioadvisor.com

Marantz 4300 from accessories4less.com, $142 shipped

I'd bet money that such a setup would absolutely demolish your current microsystem with NAD c542 added, in sound quality as well as power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us