HKavr235/ Yamaha htr5860s / Pioneer VSX1015-TX

Username: Scottyw

Canada

Post Number: 6
Hi all,

Just about to purchase another receiver, and i have narrowed it down to these 3 HKAVR235 the Yamaha HTR5860S or the Pioneer VSX 1015-TX. I would appreciate any input you all could give me. I have been told that the HK is probably the best, and from what i have researched and the reviews i have read this seems to be true.

I have been told that the HK is fantastic high end but bass can be lacking at times good for jazz, classical type music. But the Yamaha has fantastic bass as it is a bass driven amp, aswell as clear highs

I love bass, and watch action sci fi movies, and i listen to hardcore rock, and want to find the perfect receiver with the perfect balanac so i can enjoy all of these!! I also like clean and crisp highs.

As the pioneer is 599 the Yamaha is 699 and HK is 799 all in canadian funds. it is hard to make a easy decicion, i have no problem shelling out extra cash if it is going to be worth it, and want to get the most bang for my buck. In my past exp. more expensive doesn't always mean better.

Anyway thx to u all for your help, i will get back to you all with a full review of what i decide on when i make the purchase.

Cheers

sarandon
Unregistered guest
scotty what kind of speakers do you have?
also i am in the same boat as you, but i am going to get the pioneer vsx1015-tx.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1431
The HK at C$799. Sounds like Future Shop to me! That's an okay sale price.

I bought a refurb h/k avr-325 from www.ecost.com about 18 months ago at about half the price of Future Shop, but it wasn't on sale at Future Shop at the time.

The Pioneer seems to have a very good price, and it has lots of cool features.

If you are willing to gamble on out-of-country warranty issues, then I'd also suggest going up the h/k chain to the avr-335 for C$710.63 from www.ecost.com. The price includes duties, shipping to Canada, custom brockerage, GST, the works. Nothing extra to pay when it is delivered.

Compare the 235 to the 335 here:

http://www.harmankardon.com/compare4.aspx?mainprod=AVR+235&selectprod=AVR+335&Su bmit=Compare

You'd get the 335 from the US for less than the 235 locally, but you'd gamble a bit on the warranty.

(We pay too much for electronics in Canada)

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1432
I noticed that www.etronics.com is no longer a www.borderfree.com affiliated site. They seem to handle their own international orders now. I assume that there are no hidden custom brockerage fees. I wouldn't think so since they have a line for:

Customs, Duties, Taxes, and Insurance

The h/k avr-335 works out to C$735 from there. For fun, the US$299 Denon DVD-1920 works out to US$412 or C$496.82, which is not too bad.

etronics.com is interesting because they have Pioneer Elite products as well. Hmmm. The Pioneer Elite DV-45A universal players works out to C$545.11 and I still haven't bought my CD player...

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2226
> I love bass, and watch action sci fi movies, and i listen to hardcore rock, and want to find the perfect receiver with the perfect balanac so i can enjoy all of these!! I also like clean and crisp highs.

It's too bad you're not looking at the Panasonic sa-xr55...fits that description perfectly and for almost half the price of the Pioneer 1015.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1787
The Yamaha RX-V657 or RX-757. Great receivers XM ready. These guys have all the bells and whistles and they sound good too. Read the most recent "The Perfect Vision" on the RX-V657 The author Chris Martens says that the "RX-V657 is by a wide margin the best sounding affordable AVR I've ever heard". I agree, I bought it.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2232
I didn't know about the XM Ready part...very attractive, considering that the only allegedly "audiophile" XM receiver on the market right now is the Polk that goes for close to $300 which is just $100 less than what you paid for the Yammie!

Wonder how the two compare, XM soundwise that is.

Am listening to XM Radio right now through my computer speakers, not great but not terrible either (Logitech Z-2200). With XM I may not be buying too many CDs any more, lol!

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1433
From www.etronics.com in the US, imported into Canada, the Panasonic SA-XR55 (US$224.95) would be a total of C$386.55 and the Yamaha RX-V757 (US$424.99) would be C$707.77.

One can buy the Yamaha online here for C$800 (shipping included), the RXV657 for C$650, and the Panasonic sells for C$400 plus taxes.

Bronze Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 60
I would go with the Pioneer VSX-52TX which is their elite series. Very warm sounding receiver with component video upconversion and THX Select for movies. I bought one and love it.

Eric
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us