Advice on 2 channel receiver

Username: Umka

Post Number: 1
I am looking for advice upgrading my receiver.
I'm thinking of HK 3480 or NAD320BEE (my price range is <$400.

My current system is NAD 7140, pinnacle mini monitor gold speakers and PSB image 2b speakers, HK FL8380 cd player, Marantz 6200 TT w/ grado silver. Any advice on these or other good 2-channel receivers out there for my setup?
thanks

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1762
The Marantz SR4320 is a nice little 2 channel receiver with a phono pre amp. It retails for 429.00 and can be had for less. The HK looks nice as well. NAD integrated amps like the one you listed sounds very good but may lack features that you want. The NAD does not have a phono pre amp and obviously it does not have a tuner. Need to know what features you must have to make a recommendation

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2202
Borya, this may sound crazy to you but try the Panasonic sa-xr55 pure digital receiver. (See long thread in this section)

It has a bi-amping feature for 2-channel where you can use 4 of the 7 amps to run one pair of speakers---as long as the speakers have 4 bi-ampable terminal plugs of course...check to see if yours does or not.

But even in the normal dual-amp mode it has seemingly limitless power, it even outperformed my NAD separates which are conservatively rated at 100wpc, hit extremely loud levels (95db) without breaking a sweat, not even a hint of distortion (though this is due in part on my speakers).

Post Number: 2
thanks Art. I would like a tuner, but could live without one in order to have a better quality component/sound. I do require phono, so with the NAD I would need to buy a phono pre amp. In terms of price, it looks like the HK 3480, NAD 320 (plus phono pre amp), and Marantz are in the same range ($350-450). Also, I just noticed the PSB speakers are rated 10-100wpc, while the pinnacles are 10-120, so perhaps if I consider the HK, I should think of the HK 3380 instead of 3480? I listen to jazz and rock, mostly. my concern with HK is that they are buggy and I have heard they sound tinny or thin compared to the NAD.

Post Number: 3
Edster, I will check out the panasonic too--thanks. what do biampable terminal plugs look like.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1768
Those speaker ratings will have little to do with your amps ability to drive your speakers. More important is the efficiency of your speakers. PSB Image series speakers are pretty efficient and so any of the above receivers or amps will easily drive them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2207
Borya, go to the link below, then on the left hand menu click on "Features" and you'll see a back view of the speakers with biampable plugs...you'd just need to remove the connector strips between the pairs of plugs.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340mfeatrs.htm l

Post Number: 4
-my speakers are not 'biampable'. that's okay--I really don't need a system with 5.1-7.1. just 2 channel stereo. I'm old school I guess.

I will go check out the HK and NAD and Marantz.
do you think there are important differnces in build quality between these 3 systems?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 611
The HK would probably be at the bottom of the list. I personally would go towards Marantz. frankly any one of the three would be awesome. I have the HK 3480 and am very happy with it. Then again I haven't heard any other equipment so I can't make a direct comparison. If you want NAD, stick to their stereo equipment. The HT stuff from NAD has a horrible product reliability problem. Biamping/Biwiring and wattage shouldn't be a top concern. I would, if you can, audiotion them. If not do eeni-meeni-miney-mo. Where are you gonna the the HK by the way? try jr.com. It goes for $270 with free shipping. That my friend is a steal considering it supposedly has like a $400+ msrp.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1770
I agree with Christopher as I believe that the HK is at the bottom of my list although I'm sure it sounds good. The NAD sounds a little better than the Marantz but the Marantz sounds very good (I used to have it in my bedroom system and now have a Marantz AVR for my second system). The Marantz is full featured and offers FM and a phone pre amp. The NAD and Marantz should be equally reliable, though Chris is right about the NAD HT gear. Good luck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2210
> I really don't need a system with 5.1-7.1. just 2 channel stereo. I'm old school I guess.

Well in the case of this Panny I don't think having the extra 5 channels really HURTS any, I mostly listen to music through it in stereo mode and believe you me, it is an amazing little thing... I guess what I'm saying is, if you might be happier with the Panny for less than half the price of the other 3 options, why not give it a try? Nothing to lose with that refund policy.

Post Number: 5
Chris, thanks--I did find the HK on JR for $270, and have been thinking along those lines. If they are similar, why spend more for the NAD, right? plus tuner included. The NAD system would run $319 plus $100 for NAD phono preamp with no tuner.

Question though: if I buy through JR (via the amazon site) do I still get the HK 2yr warranty? I have heard you don't get the waranty if you buy from some online sites.

I have to find a place to audition the NAD and Marantz nearby (NC), but I know where to go to check out the HK.

thanks edster--I will go check out the panasonic too. although I hate to go over to the dark side (circuit city) :-)

but my question for all of you, especially for art, who I gather is an NAD fan (or not fan, as the case may be): is the build quality somehow better for NAD and is it worth the price?

the guy in the music store said the quality of the NAD is far superior, especially the phono preamp than the HK. I am not sure if this is correct or if this is audio store mythology.

another question: would the NAD at 50wpc be sufficient for my speakers. as much as I love my 7140, it runs out of power pretty quickly above 1/3-1/2 of the turn of the knob.

I appreciate all of your input.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1790
He is right about the phono preamp and generally the build quality is going to be better and so will the sound with NAD. However the sound will be even better with McIntosh or Audio Research (both cost thousands of dollars). The question is how much do you want to spend for the improvement.

I have heard some complaints about the C320BEE not having enough power. I believe that it will drive your speakers but you may want to try it first to find out.

Yes I am an NAD fan, or I am a fan of NAD 2 channel gear. I own their C162 pre amp and the C542 cd player. I also own their AV receiver which I'm not so fond of. Anyway I believe in their 2 channel gear and apparently you did at one time since that is your current receiver. So it depends on what you want.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us