Question about subs

Username: Bmw325is

Post Number: 1
I think my last post got deleted so here goes.

I have 2 car subs that are 4 ohm each that i am connecting to my 8 ohm amplifier (old hk460i).

I want to connect them in series so they equal out to 8 ohms. Problem is i only have speaker outputs, no sub outputs.

I could just connect them to the left side of a set of speakers, but then the left and right might not balance causing the amp to blow.

How do i connect the subs in series to the both the left and right speaker on a set.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 543
Need more info. What is your source? Do you have a separate amp you're using for the main speakers?

Post Number: 2
My source is my amp a harmon kardon 460i. I am using this amp for both the speakers and the subs.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 544
At a minimum you're going to need a crossover for the subs. Since you're probably not setup to design a crossover you could buy a pre-made pair for about $65 and it would sound like crap. A better option would be to purchase a subwoofer plate amp with a built-in variable crossover (something like this)
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-784
Take your two bass boxes, wire them in series and connect them to the plate amp.
Then you would take the speaker wires out from the receiver, into the sub amp high level inputs then out to your main speakers. You might stand a fair chance of having something that sounds decent.

Post Number: 3
OK just read the back of my receiver. Its says 4 ohm minimum for speaker set 1 OR 2 and an 8 ohm min for speaker set 1 AND 2. Does this mean i could connect just the subs to speaker set 1 and be alright? Not that i would because i want to have regular speaker, im just wondering if i interepreted that.

I am also wondering if i used a 5.3 ohm resistor and connected each sub separatley, would it damage the subs since i would be be giving them 2.7 ohms each?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 545
"OK just read the back of my receiver. Its says 4 ohm minimum for speaker set 1 OR 2 and an 8 ohm min for speaker set 1 AND 2. Does this mean i could connect just the subs to speaker set 1 and be alright?"

Yes.

"I am also wondering if i used a 5.3 ohm resistor and connected each sub separatley, would it damage the subs since i would be be giving them 2.7 ohms each?"

I'm not sure what you're suggesting. If you're thinking you're going to strap a resistor to the terminal leads to increase the load to the amplifier I suppose you could do that, however, you'd better have a resistor with a high wattage rating. Your typical little 50 cent 1w resistor is going to get awful hot. This is definitely NOT what I would suggest doing plus you still haven't dealt with the crossover issue.

Post Number: 4
ok i got it all setup, just connected 4 10 watt resistors in a series per sub thus creating a series making the overall output with each sub 8 ohms.

Only problem is it doesnt hit too hard and i cant adjust it. Now i know how to get power with a car amp but how do i connect it to my amp?

I have 2 rca out and would probably use those but if i connect those, will my other set of speakers work also?

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 392
If you are looking for just some loud subs, then car subs will POUND in a home application.

However;

There big differences between car speakers and home speakers. The Qts is much higher and they are designed that way for a reason. Car subs are designed for high power and that means the motor and voice coil is also different compared to home speakers.

The resistance is not the only difference. Four Ohm speakers are starting to become more common among home speakers lately, bu that doesnt mean that they are car speakers.

AC current behaves differently than DC current. These statements can be backed up with electrical scientific proof, but I dont wanna bore you. Afterall, you re just looking to see if it will work, right?

Post Number: 5
ok how do i connect a car amp to car subs in a house. After i get power to it, via computer power supply, how do i connect the home amp speaker outputs to the amp. From what i understand it requires rca cables. All i have is an out port and i want to power both, my home speakers and my car subs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us