SONY STR AV-900 (1989 Vintage)

Username: Dashriprocker

Post Number: 1
looking to upgrade to a new sony reciever...anyone know what is comparable to the one I have? Primarily for music (loud) and some video. don't want the video portion to take anything away from audio. BSR speakers (A) and JBL Century L100's (B) and Sony 15" sub.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2055
Whatever you do don't get another Sony. Don't know how they were in 1989 but nowadays the only things Sony still does really well is tube TVs.

If your BSR speakers are not bright, I'd try the pure digital Panasonic sa-xr55 first, Amazon has them for $230 shipped but if you're nervous you can get them from Circuit City for $250 for easier returns. See the long thread on them in this section.

Otherwise I'd look into Harman Kardon receivers, you can get them refurb at great prices at Harman Audio on ebay with full original HK warranty.

The Panny will leave you some extra money to upgrade the sub, a $400 Hsu stf-2 would be a tremendous upgrade to your old Sony for both movies and music.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2480
What's your budget?

Regardless of your budget, the 10lb panny would probably be a huge downgrade compared to your Sony. It no doubt has a weak power supply and cheap parts.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2071
LOL yes Paul and the flowers on Jupiter are all purple no doubt, though I've never been there.

Long live our resident retard!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us