Connecting 4 Ohm speakers to 8 Ohm rated receiver

Max G
Unregistered guest
Hi all,
I own a 8-Ohm / 50 Watt per channel Harman Kardon AVR-4000 (European equivalent of AVR-230)
Currently I'm using Bose 4.2 bookshelf 8-Ohm speakers and considering buying of some more powerful, floor standing speakers. My question is, what will happen if I'll connect to this amp 4-Ohm rated speakers, for example Celestion C3 http://www.celestion.com/products/cseries/c3.html . I did some research and found that there is possibility of speaker damage. From other side, I heard opinions that HK receivers have a lot of power... BTW, usually I don't listening at high volume and most of the time volume control stays at about --30 dB.
So, what do you say?

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2470
Your HK doesnt have a lot of power.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5780

Speaker damage is the less likely problem which might occur. Normally the amplifier will react first and shut itself down before speaker damage results (assuming low volume levels).

Speakers are not one consistent impedance load and there is more to consider when deciding whether a speaker and amplifier will work together. In the case of the products mentioned, I would try to find a dealer with knowledge of both products for a specific recommendation. Lacking that, if you want to try these speakers on the HK, let the seller know what amplifier you have and that you might be returning the speakers if they prove unsatisfactory.

You can find more information about speaker impedance and amplifier stability by cruising the archives of the forum.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 315
Max: I would give the speakers a try. If they don't cause the receiver to go into protect after long listening periods or high volumes they are probably safe. I have a 50W per channel HK(U.S.) model and out of about about 10 different types of speakers I have tested it with (4,6,and 8 Ohm),It performed flawlessly with very little distortion even at high volumes. . Mr. Vigne is quite correct, speakers are certainly not a fixed impedence but based upon my experience I would bet that the speakers would be safe and work well with your receiver,especially given their decent sensitivity, 90dBl.

Anonymous

ignore Paul, he's talking out of his @ss as usual.

Your HK should be able to handle the 4 ohm speakers just fine, HK is known for having quality CURRENT which does not show up in their very conservative wpc numbers. Opposite of most Jap receivers like Sonys, Yamahas and Onkyos that have weak CURRENT and marketing-department-inflated wpc numbers.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 316
Anon: It's not so much an issue of current,as the high end Jap. receivers employ large power supplies capable of a considerable amount current capacity in way of driving speakers. It is more of issue of better design. In a well designed receiver like the HK's and NAD's designers build power supplies that will cope with a variety of speakerload inconsistencies,without resorting to the use of current limiting devices such as impedence selector switches,to cope with issues such as low sensitivity,low effeciency, low impedence and considerable impedence swings,all of these aspects which are IMO are rather undesirable in a speaker but unfortunately often encountered in a speaker.

Max G
Unregistered guest
Thank you all. I'll give it a try. I also got response from the manufacturer. They are "not recommend"... I didn't expect to hear something better than that. At least, they didn't say that this will destroy it immediately, there is only "a chance". So, taking in mind what was written here and other info that I gathered I'll go for it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us