NAD and "The Italian Connection"

Bronze Member
Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 75
I was watching "The Italian Connection" last weekend at home on my T773 which is an awesome movie btw but it was funny...in the movie in which they are stealing like $35 million in gold, afterwards they are each talking about what they are going to do with their share of the money.

The computer geek of the bunch says he's getting a NAD T770 and rambles on about all of the technical specs as the others just look at him confused like "what the hell is he talking about?".

Then later in the film they actually show a glimpse of a NAD. I won't offer any more details than this.

Now if I had $8M I'm certainly not saying that would be the unit I'd buy but being a NAD owner I thought it was pretty funny.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 553
JDG,

I saw that, but didn't notice the brand, only the reference to Burr-Brown "D", "A", "C"s (surely everyone says "dacs"). The guy was dreaming of a system, so powerful that the speakers would.... [complete!]

An interesting question is why they chose that brand.

The Italian Job, 2003

There is completely gratuituous reference in "Traffic" where the drug baron, for no apparent reason, and with no connection to anything else, says, "You know, at home, I have B&W loudspeakers!"

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 121
"An interesting question is why they chose that brand."

John A

You weren't paying attention - it was for the power to drive speakers punchy enough to rip the clothes off his lady friends!

Bronze Member
Username: Dmeister

Post Number: 87
If I remember correctly, in Tomb Raider 2 she goes about getting someone a Bose system, "the finest system in the world," or some such nonsense.

Silver Member

Post Number: 556
My Rantz,

No, I meant why the producer/director/writer chose it!

I remember the character's reason vividly .... yours is the correct answer to [complete]!

This could be another topic for ecoustics: Hi-fi in the movies.

We had a question last year. What was the system the drug baron had in Pulp Fiction. All I could remember was, it was a reel-to-reel tape player.

Moose
Unregistered guest
Someone posted about this on the AVS Forum a while back.

The funny thig is, he wanted Martin Logan Electrostatic speakers. These are shown in the end scene. As far as I know, electrostatic speakers, even pushed to the extreme, would not generate any "wind" at all!

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 124
Sorry John A

Again, I didn't read correctly. My glasses, as usual, are on my desk and not on my nose!

Moose

Maybe it's the sound pressure. Anyway, the director didn't even have the decency to let us see the result.

Bronze Member
Username: Rick_b

New york Usa

Post Number: 94
Hey all,

I've got a T770 in my closet I'll sell for a mere $35 million!

Silver Member

Post Number: 559
I'll take the Aston Martin DB7, please.

ErrFarceWon
Unregistered guest
Actually, it was an Aston Martin Vanquish if I'm not mistaken, although 'andsome rob "settled" for a DB7
volante at the end.

bi0
Unregistered guest
It was simply product placement, paid for by NAD.

Silver Member

Post Number: 678
Recommended: "Johnny English" with Rowan Atkinson. It also has a DB7 (or Vanquish). It is a bond spoof, hilarious.

There is also the Aston Martin DB7 "Vanish" in Die Another Day. I'd like one of those.

Surely the ultimate hi-fi was the one in Pulp Fiction. I intend to buy the DVD just to freeze-frame and make notes....

bi0
Unregistered guest
john a: havent seen pulp, what was the hifi featured?

also:

in daredevil, a rotel receiver was featured at the early stages of the movie. it was playing rock music

i read in stereophile that in one of the episodes of the sopranos, one of the guys shouted that this guy had a ____ turntable and some rare vinyl, or something to that effect. unlike paid product placements such as in the italian job (where seth sounded like he didnt know what he was talking about), there was an actual analog fan on the set.

Silver Member

Post Number: 682
The question comes back: what was the hi-fi system in "Pulp Fiction"? It suggested unlimited (ill-gotten) wealth and an obsession with sound quality, and the source was reel-to-reel tape. That's all I remember...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us