Student looking for a Stereo integrated amplifier

Anonymous

I post here because it seems to be the most read board.
So, I need a Integrated amplifier to drive my 4ohm speakers. I am looking for something with max. 200W dynamic power (I don't need more than that). But first of all it has to sound good.
And now the main and neverending problem: the budget: $328...$336 if am looking deeply in my pockets.

Need your advise as long as I saw there are a lot of very well informed people around. Maybe Hawk?

Thx

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 460
Anon:

I only know of one quality integrated amp (that is, that I would own myself) that fits your budget. Fortunately, it is one of the very best--the NAD C320bee. Has a very nice 50 wpc with loads of headroom (short term power something like 90 wpc), very musical and very, very nice to listen to. Can easily handle 4 ohm loads, too. Call Kiefs (www.kiefs.com) and talk to Ed at extension 109. I think the price is about $320.

Good luck!

Anonymous

Thank you vey much Hawk. I figured out that this might be my only solution, but I wanted to be sure.

Thank you again

Anonymous

And I forgot to tell you: I get tired - I listened to all mass-producer amplifiers: NAD, Denon, Onkyo, HK, you name it. And I found the sound to be unnatural and tiring. So, I don't know what to do. Rotel, Arcam are to expensive for me. There is nothing in between?

Bronze Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 35
my first post here locked up. i'll try again.

NAD isn't all it's cracked up to be as far as i'm concerned. it's true that they are generous with their specs and are the ONLY affordable reciever maker that can safely take 4 ohm loads, but for typical 8 ohm use, they're are other options that will give you better value.

as to NAD integrateds, first, why not get a reciever instead? you'll end up paying as much if not more for an NAD integrated that uses the same exact parts as their similarly rated recievers without the tuner. why pay more to get less?

sonically, i'm not a big fan of NAD's excessive warmth and politeness. my first reciever was an NAD 20 or 25 watt 2 channel (50 watt equivilent after headroom). after i got a DVD player, i bought a 55wpc onkyo surround reciever. for only $250, i got BETTER sound in stereo than i did with the more expensive when new dedicated stereo unit PLUS more features to boot eg. extra surround channels, remote control, and more inputs.

i was surprised. a "cheap" surround reciever outperformed a more expensive "hi-end" stereo unit. my onkyo has more treble extension and clarity and images much better than the NAD with my soft dome super zeros.

i'd only buy NAD in the future to be able to use 4 ohm magnepans. in that case, the argument in favor is about the speakers, NOT the amp.

you won't find too many budget integrated amps any more. denon had a really nice grand prix winning $300 wpc a few years ago, but it's discontinued now.

if you're only using one line source, then you could get a $200 audiosource amp with dual volume controls. it's inconvenient, but as a one source amp, it got a favorable review in audio or sterephile mag a few years ago. if i didn't know better, i'd swear that audiosource is another sister company of NAD/proton as their producs share the "nad look".

one other integrated you might want to look into is cambridge. they have a $350 unit. i haven't read any reviews for it, but it is in your price range.
http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=CAMB540A&product_name=Azur%2 0540A%20Integrated%20Amplifier

according to the literature for this amp's $500 big brother, it recieved 5 stars according to the british mag. "what hi-fi".

in general, british mags are probably the best place for you to look as they are really into "eye fi" low power integrated amps there.

Anonymous

In think you are right. I shoul go with a receiver. And in this case I am thinking to go with Cambridge 540R. But I don't know if it will be able to drive the 4 ohms speakers. Anyone have any idea?

Anonymous

OK. I narrowed down between Cambridge 540R and Harman Kardon HK AVR 430. HK 430 seems to have more features. Cambridge seem to sound better. Any opinions between these two?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us