NAD T673 or Denon 3803 - with KEF 2005.2 Eggs!!!

Username: Rcooke

Post Number: 9
Hi All. Was just about to order my T763 when someone told me to check out the Denon 3803 as it had more features power and was about the same price. Now Im unsure which to get... any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Ralph

Post Number: 10
I meant denon 3805 not 3803 sorry!

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 452
ralph:

I cannot speak to the Denon 3805, but I don't believe it will sound much different than the 3803, which I used to own. I also bought the Denon because I was impressed by the power ratings and the features, but a couple of month ago, I replaced it with an NAD 753. Funny thing, although the NAD is rated at 70 wpc x 6, and the Denon was rated at 110 wpc x 7, it was very clear that the NAD was more powerful and cleaner sounding than the Denon (Denon only rates their receivers 2 channels at a time where NAD rates theirs with all channels active and NAD has a much better power supply). The NAD also presented a much better soundstage, providing a much better image (higher quality DSP and DACs). Where the Denon sounded dry and brittle, the NAD sounds smooth and seamless. To me, it was no contest as the NAD simply sounds much better, IMHO.

You have a choice to make as to what is more important to you: "features" or sound quality. For some people, they prefer the features as they cannot hear the sonic difference. I, on the other hand, soon became very disappointed in the sound of my Denon as it just didn't sound "right" and I looked around for something that did sound right to my ears. I won't deny Denon has a lot of cool features not found on the NAD, but I soon learned I never used any of them. Instead, I just enjoy the sound from my NAD, which is delightful to listen to whether used for music or HT.

Good luck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Hm.. Thanks hawk. Why are things so complecated!

I like the 3805 also as it has more digital inputs ( I could keep my PS2 and DVD plugged in at all times) ... also have heard many good things about the 3805 and am told it is much improved on the 3803...

Also spoke to KEF who (unoffiicially) recommended the Denon to me.

I think Im going to plump for the denon as I would really like to get my machine today!... Thanks for all your help... anyone else with some last minute advice?

Bronze Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 88
Ralph,

If you've listened to the Denon 3805 and liked the sound, I see no reason for not getting it. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've listened to the Denon/KEF eggs combo and it sounded fine, although I still prefer the NAD/KEF combo for a slightly fuller, warmer sound. But some folks like a brighter sound than a darker sound, which is what you'll get with the Denon. On the other hand if haven't heard the Denon, then you should make sure you can return it if you don't like the sound.

FWIW there was a previous post that stated KEF unofficially recommended the NAD. So it really comes down to what sounds good to you and the features that are important to you.

Bronze Member
Username: Gatt767

Malta

Post Number: 21
Finaly its you that have to decide. Audition both receivers and decide for yourself, connected to the speakers its going to be partnered with. I have a T762 and i am quite happy with it!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us