How to tell if your speakers are blown

Username: Fightinchunk

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 5
I have two sony ssmf750h tower speakers that i think might be blown. I played it all night by accident at a decently high volume and when i woke up the next morning, the subwoofer was definitly blown but my speakers seemed fine. I started listening to them again about two days later, i can hear a very very faint buzz noise from the speaker, but can't tell if it's just the quality of the song(mp3 played from my computer). I split the 1/8th inch jack from my computer into two separate 18th inch jacks. One goes to my computer speakers and the other goes to the receiver. the cord is very long(goes around almost the entire perimeter of the room, 20 ft atleast). Im just hoping its the quality of the connection/computer/song quality, but it might be the speakers. is there anyway i can test if the speakers are blown, like a test cd i can make or find online? i would appreciate any help i can get. thanks

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 6
also, how can i take better care for my speakers besides playing them at a lower level? how can i play them at a decently high volume without blowing my speakers away? does duration have anything to do with it?

Bronze Member
Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 90
mp3s are a great way to blow speakers if they are not recorded at great quality. Distortion is just as much an enemy as volume.

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 7
ok this is somewhat strange. I pluged in my creative nomad mp3 player and i played a couple of songs, especially ones that would test my two 8" woofers in my floorstanding speakers, and they sound fine. They move just as freely as they did when i first bought them two weeks ago. i will investigate further, but i would still like to get these fixed if they aren't up to speed. i would still really like to know what's the best way to test if these woofers are still in good condition, anyone know any songs/recordings that would help determine if my speakers really are blown?

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 510
I think distortion is even more of an enemy than volume. Then again, as volume increases, so does distortion.

Bronze Member
Username: Pingo76

Slovenia

Post Number: 22
Before i knew what clipping was and how dangerous it is i already blew both tweeters of my fathers stero setup ages ago. I always heard that burnt speakers are from cheap or underpowered amps who "played" too loud. Are your tweeters still fine?

Bronze Member
Username: Pingo76

Slovenia

Post Number: 23
Quote:
also, how can i take better care for my speakers besides playing them at a lower level? how can i play them at a decently high volume without blowing my speakers away? does duration have anything to do with it? ///

A solution would be to get a NAD 320BEE or C352 integrated as both offers soft clipping protection. This should be enough for keeping your speakers somewhat safe provided you dont exceed their nominal power rating. The 320BEE is pretty affordable and good choice if the power output is enough for your needs.

@Anon: No idea what fizzling is, also what do you mean by on or off? Does the speaker "fizzle" when you have all the equipment off? If so, check if there is a mouse in it complaining for the musical session you had before. :-)

Just my 2 cents.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us