NAD 753 and Focal JMlab Chorus 716

Username: Bobby29

Post Number: 1
After about a month of lurking on this forum, I narrowed down my receiver choices to NAD 753, Marantz 6400, Denon 3803 and Elite 53tx. I wasn't planning on new fronts and a center, but what the hell. It's been 16 years since I have bought new speakers. I'm pretty open to speaker brands, but have been a Klipsch owner now since '88.

I listened to the NAD/JMlab combo today, and it sounded fantastic, both in music and HT. From this forum, I am well informed on NAD, but JMlab is tough to get feedback on. They seem to be very well built speakers and a tad bit on the bright side, but the NAD really seems to be a great match. I tend to listen to a lot of rock, reggae, and HT, so some brightness never hurt.

(Also listened to the NAD with the Klipsch Refrence RF-35. Nice bass with full sound, but those new horns to me sounded a little hollow.)

Anyone with any feedback on the JMlab Chorus 716 speakers? The dealer quoted me $999 for the NAD, $950 for the 716's and $500 for the JMlab matching center. I can prob get him to come down $100 on the Nad and fronts if I buy them all at once. I know I can get the NAD cheaper on the internet, but due to the sometimes "quirkyness" of these receivers, I really feel better about buying it from a local dealer(well 45 miles away).

Thanks!!

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 457
Rob:

I think you have made very good choices--I just thought I could fill in some blanks for you.

JMlabs is a French company, the speaker building subsidiary of Focal, one of the largest makers of raw speaker drivers in the world. Most audiophiles know the name Focal, but JMlabs has not made great market penetration into North America (French consumer products rarely do--I think it is a cultural thing). Still, JMlabs makes a great product capable of holding its own with anyone else's products.

I believe your product observations are identical to mine--JMlabs makes a very good speaker, well designed and built, with a sound just a bit on the bright side. However, if you are a long time Klipsch owner, that would not be anything to worry about as the JMlabs are less bright than the Klipsch, IMO. Obviously, their strength is in the highly detailed sound that they produce. Using an NAD receiver is also a good choice--I have heard this combo myself at a local NAD dealer and it works well together.

The Chorus line of speakers has been well received, as I recall, by many reviewers in the UK audio mags. I have not seen many JMlabs reviews in North American audio mags, but I did locate one fairly recent review of the Chorus 706 speakers in the Stereophile archives which you may find interesting as their sonic charecter is very close to the 716s you are considering:

http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/500/

As for the prices, your dealer is quoting you full list on all of them. You should get a minimum 10% off for buying a full system, and I would seek 15% off. Driving 45 miles is not local--besides you will want to come back for surrounds in the future.

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us