My surround speakers aren't working!

Username: Mcbfly

Redwood City, CA

Post Number: 1
First, let me admit I have a crappy receiver, but it works for me until I decided to upgrade. It's a Sony STR-DE545. Recently my surround (or rear) speakers have stopped working. Not entirely, though. They will work for about 20-30 minutes and then die. I checked the wires, I checked the speakers, so the problem is in the receiver itself. Anyone ever have this problem or have an idea of what's going on? Is it repairable? It really frustrates me because I can't enjoy my 5.1 surround.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3923
Send it in for repair, dying rear speaker channels are not part of the design of surround receivers, unless they are actually designed to take a rest as stated by union rules. If anybody else had a problem like that, there is nothing that the owner can do, unless there are some magic buttons that you can fiddle with that fixes broken receivers.

The only way for you to know if it is repairable is by sending it in to a qualified technician. You can always buy a new one. You did say it is crappy, why would you want to keep it or for that matter, why repair it? You now have an excuse to get a better one.

Username: Mcbfly

Redwood City, CA

Post Number: 2
I'm keeping it for now because I'm moving in 6 months. I live in a duplex with a room mate so a lound system is okay, but I will be moving to live by myself in an apartment building so I don't want to spend $$ on a new receiver if I can't crank it up now and then.

I did find a shop nearby that services Sony. I will take it there and see what happens.

mojo86
Unregistered guest
Hi, a more expensive receiver will not only allow you listen to louder things louder, but will enhance your listening experience to fuller and richer sounds. Anyway, just an opinion...

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1993
I agree with mojo86, especially in light of my recent experience with the Panny xr55 (see long thread) which at a paltry $230 shipped (amazon.com) blew my (msrp $600) Marantz 5400 out of the water on all counts and also bettered my NAD separates.

If Sony wants more than say $40 to repair your receiver, I say junk the POS...life is too short to put up with stuff like that when a $230 solution is available.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2009
PS. The incredible thing about the digital Panny is that it is so perfectly detailed that you don't NEED to turn it up much in order to hear every last nuance of your music. And when you DO crank it up, that detail never gets thin or distorted at high volumes (if you have decent speakers of course).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us