Strange HK behavior...

Username: Clarksticks

Post Number: 1
I have a HK AVR 35 receiver that just recently began to shut itself off after about 5 minutes of use at any setting. After it shuts off, I simply have to click the power button on the remote to bring it back on for another 5 minutes. I tested the unit in another room of the house on a different power circuit and it still shuts itself off. Also took the batteries out of the remotes to rule out a remote sending out a power off signal. Has this happened to anyone else? My guess is it has a bad power supply. Is this something I would need to get from HK or are power supplies generic like PC's?

Also to note: This is my second HK receiver that has had issues. My first receiver, a HK AVR 20 had the center channel turn to static after about 2 years of use. It became a garage stereo receiver.

I just ordered a HK AVR 335 yesterday to compliment my new Panasonic plasma TV. Why do I keep buying HK stuff if the equipment keeps failing?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5559

Why do you guess it's the power supply? It could be a lot of things in a contemporary receiver. If it's under warranty, let HK check it out. Products have a failure rate. All products have a failure rate. Manufacturers buy the best parts they want to afford. Some buy better parts and some buy cheaper parts. But no matter what you buy, some of the product that company builds will fail at some point. That's why they have warranties. You just seem to be having some Joe Blflyts luck with HK.

Why do you keep buying it? Well, see ...

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2342
Jeff,
You've got some kind of a short or faulty connection inside the receiver. Based on your previous experiences with HK, I'm a little surprised you ordered another from the same manufacturer.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5572

p - Are you sure it's inside the receiver? You didn't tell him to check anything on the outside of the receiver. Maybe he's got a screw loose. It happens, you know. Oh, well, a short or faulty connection inside the receiver should narrow it down sufficiently.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 312
Jeff: it could be any number of things. First and foremost check your speaker connections. I've had several HK's myself and only had minor trouble with one particular model. Consumer electronics are like the automobile industry. Even the highest quality brands have trouble occasionally. Mercedes Benz arguably,although very little, is one of the finest automobiles that money can buy has had quality issues lately. You said this this is an AVR 35 or 335? I have an AVR 335 and have had no problems with mine. For repair go to www.stereorepair.net, these guys are a certified HK repair center, are very good and have been in business for decades. The only drawback is that they are a little expensive with the average repair on a receiver costing $80-100.

Post Number: 2
The reason I stay with HK is I have always been impressed with the sound quality. I know alot of people with HK's and I seem to be the only one who has problems.

Looks like I am going to take the receiver into the local HK shop and have it fixed.

As a consumer, I don't think I can simply order parts for it. I have to imagine that a new power supply and AC switch would cost far less if I bought them and did the repairs myself rather than have the HK shop charge me $80 an hour to troubleshoot it.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 313
I definately agree with you Jeff, I love HK's powerful but transparent portrayal of music and movies. It's true as a consumer you cannot order parts to repair your HK yourself, they only sell these to authorized repair centers. Wow! $80 an/hr is gouging, the website of the repair center I referred you to will repair any receiver for about $80- 100.

Post Number: 3
The fix is in! I received this solution from Harman Audio's online support:

Believe it or not, this is actually a feature.
Both the AVR 70 and 80 have this feature. It goes like this: When you turn on
your TV, your AVR will automatically turn on, switch to TV input, and start
performing. When you turn your TV off, after 5 minutes the AVR will turn off.
This is done through the TV Video Input on the AVR. If you didn't connect the
video wire from the Video Output Jack on your TV to the TV Video Input Jack on
the AVR, your AVR will shut off every five minutes because it does not see a
video signal telling it to stay on. Simply connect your Video Output Jack on
your TV to the TV Video Input Jack on the AVR.

If you do not have a Video Output Jack on your TV, you can bypass this feature
by doing the following:

1. You must do this on the front panel of the AVR, NOT the remote.

2. Press and hold the MEMO button.

3. Within 1 second, also press and hold the TV button.

4. After holding both buttons for approximately 2 seconds, the display will
read "TV AT ON"

Quickly let go of both buttons and push the TV button again. The display will
read "TV AT OFF"

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us