Upgrade to Cambridge 540R from NAD3150

Username: Etaf

London, Surrey UK

Post Number: 1
I have a NAD 3150 Amplifier bought in 1986 connected to a 1986 set of BOSE Acoustimass 5 Stereo Speaker System 501 - The model with the large satalite speakers - two speakers per satalite http://www.bose.co.uk/technologies/...jewel_intro.asp

I have just purchased a FVRT200 PVR and panasonic ES20 DVDRecorder with Digital Tuner.

Now a mate said I should connect up to Hi-FI and think about getting a 5/7/6.1 AV receiver.
It has been suggested I get a Cambridge 540R - But it has an FM/AM receiver but not DAB

Now I probably wont get extra speakers for a while {unless I can rig up the rear speakers wirelessly} so my questions are:-
using this amp as a replacement for my NAD stereo Amp is the cambridge amp any good as a replacement for my NAD and could I connect my NAD6050C Cassette deck and Marantz SE CD player up to the 540R with the Bose speakers. Will this be better for stereo music than my current setup?

then connecting the Freeview Tuner and DVD recorder up to the 540R, will this be better then just connected via the NAD - which I have been able to do, via a set of phonoleads.

Q1) Is this is a good setup. or should I just use the NAD3150

Q2) Next question is If I want 5.1 or 6.1 can I use my Bose speakers and just buy some others for the back of room.
How do a get a 5.1/6.1 signal - is it broadcast on freeview - how would I get it out of the DVD player do I need special DVD recording
any links to 5.1/6.1 systems and how they work and if I will hear any benefit from the kit i have

Q3) is it worth looking for an AMP with DAB/FM/AM ? if so what should I look for - my budget is flexible I guess as the 540R is about £250 but as cheap as possible really

sorry but I'm a real newbie to this stuff - my last outing was in 1986 when I purchased the HiFI
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us