Yamaha soon to leave everyone in the DUST

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2319
Get ready,
It looks like Yammi will soon leave the rest eating their dust.....

I got this off the HT forum.....
The new RX-V2600 receiver:

130W x 7
Full Analogue Video Upconversion to HDMI
Deinterlacing and Scaling up to 1080i/720p (uses Oplus de-interlacer for 480i to 480p)
XM-Ready
THX Select2
Dedicated Zone Remote Control
Fully Illuminated Main Zone Remote Control
Burr Brown 192kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels
Assignable Amplifiers for bi-amp connection or Zones 2/3
TBC (time base correction) for Component and HDMI outputs
2 in/1 out HDMI interface
HDMI 1.1 (supports DVD-Audio/DTS/DD)
100MHz component video bandwidth
GUI on-screen display
3 coax/4 optical S/PDIF inputs

Now.....

If Im reading this right, the Oplus de-interlacer take all of your 480i TV signals and convert them into 480p. If this is true...whoah....They're gonna put a whoopin on the competition when this model hits the streets.
Whoah......that's huuuuuuge!!!
I'll definitely have to buy one as soon as possible!! Unfortunately, they wont be for sale until April'ish of '06. The biggest complaint I have with my satelite signal since buying a behemoth HDTV is that the low-def channels look terrible. If the yammi will upconvert those crappy 480i signals and turn them into very respectable 480p pictures, they're going to kill the competition. No receiver does this in the under 4K+ price range that I'm aware of. Certainly not in the $1400 price range that this model will sell for.

Yammi is gonna kick some bootie with this model!! After this model hits the market, all receivers will have to add this feature if they expect to compete in the 'intermediate' price range. I MUST have one of these!!

If anyone is interested in a Yammi2500 this spring, I'll sell you mine............HEH

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5531

$1,400 for all that?

Hahahahahahaha ...... man you're gullible.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 477
Paul -

This may very well be the first informative post you've ever had.

Not that I mind reading your other ones... It breaks up the monotony...

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
No, Paul is not gullible on this one at all. I have read the exact same specs on the new 2600 on another forum, info direct to them from Yamaha. I disagree with the "leaving in the dust" bit as their are others with similar and/or equal features coming out very soon. Elite vsx-74txvi for one. The Denon 3806 for another. All three look to be a heck of a lot for the money.
Paul,
How did find out the release date of the 2600? If the April 2006 date is correct Yamaha might get left in the dust by Denon and Pioneer. I would think Yamaha would have the sense to get the 2600 out before Christmas but they didn't get the 2500 dvd player out until after last Christmas. Strange marketing. I look forward to seeing them all ASAP.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2320
I realize that others are coming out with HDMI, but I havent seen any that will de-interlace 480i signals into 480p. That's a big deal for anyone with a large TV.

2ndly....
I'll bet you the Pioneer and Denon cost more. As for the price?? Im sure that's probably just the list price, and you'll be able to pick one up for less.

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
The Elite list is $1500 and will probably be available for around $1200 or so at first. It's video conversion takes a s-video or component signal and converts it to HDMI. You are right about the conversion of 480i to 480p on a large screen.
The Denon lists for $1299 but I don't believe it has quite the features of the Elite and Yamaha.
One curious omission on the Yamaha is it's lack of an i-link interface. And what about that release date?

Bronze Member
Username: Bumblebee

Post Number: 28
Jan,

The Yamaha receiver is meant for HT, first and foremost. 50/50 sights and sound. It isn't only about power, soundstaging, imaging etc. Convenience, picture clarity, connectivity and other features also come into play.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2321
1 .All the HDMI receivers convert the signal to HDMI, or else it wouldnt have a HDMI output. That should go without saying, shouldnt it?????

What they dont do is convert the lousy 480i signal to 480p.

Heck, Im running DVI direct from my satbox to my TV now as it is, and believe me.....that means absolutely nothing when it's a lousy 480i signal. You can run HDMI or DVI until you're blue in the face, but if it's a 'i' signal, it will still look bad compared to a 'p' signal.

Find me a receiver who will progressively scan the 'i' signal, and then you have something!!!!!!! That, I would pay good money for. How sweet would that be to be able to watch standard SAT channels with DVD quality picture???

2. the bee is a clueless fool. All the bee is doing is self rationalizing the purchase of a cheap 'lightweight' piece of scrap metal. Probably a cheap bottom of the line component well below the level of the 25 or 2600. Im sure whatever bee owns, it's fitting those tiny halfpint speakers with zero output. There is no receiver in the 1,000 price range that is significantly better than the yammi. Each has their plusses and minuses, and it all averages out. None of this is relevent to the bee because she probably watches lowdef TV on a small screen so the progressive scan upconversion would provide no benefit to her.

Anonymous

I'd take the Elite over the Yammie without hesitation, the Elite models at least have a very good reputation for actual sound quality unlike Yammies which are mainly known for being a gadget-geek's paper tiger.

Of course the Pioneer's superior SQ would only be nullified by Paul's garbage speakers, so for someone like him I'd just get whichever of the two models were cheaper.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2322
While I watch extended cable channels in DVD quality, you wont.

That's the point here. I suppose if you own a crappy small TV, it wont matter to you. For those of us who have graduated to large screen HDTVs, it's a big deal. Im guessing most of the ANON users dont own anything but crap anyway, and they're probably punk kids, or else they'd register and list their system components on their profiles like 'real' posters in this forum. They stay ANON for a reason, and thats because they're kids who could only post pictures of their bedrooms, because that's all they've got. Heck, if I was a punk kid who owned nothing but a bedroom stereo, I'd stay anon too, so I cant blame them for hiding what they have.

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 293
Having a 51" TV I can understand your pain in this regard (and stuck with the worst cable company in the world to boot). However, I am skeptical as to whether or not a receiver can improve upon a signal that is garbage to begin with. Time will tell I suppose.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2323
They dont improve the signal..............

they are only scanning it differently. If they progressively scan it, it should look just as good as DVD video.

Anonymous

> Im guessing most of the ANON users dont own anything but crap anyway, and they're probably punk kids, or else they'd register and list their system components on their profiles like 'real' posters in this forum.

HA HA HA HA! How do we know that your profile is truthful? How do we know that you didn't take a snapshot of say somebody else's setup and claimed it as your own? Oh I forgot, you believe everything you read in cyberspace...

And why do you feel the need to show off what you claim to be your stuff all the time, instead of formulating a half-intelligent argument for a change instead of your endlessly predictable insults? It's even more hilarious since you seem to imagine that anyone who's not such a compulsive bragger like you obviously has something to hide.

What a sad human being you must be. I feel sorry for the kid standing next to your alleged subwoofer, if he even is your son. It must suck to have such a complete moron for a father...

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 294
"they are only scanning it differently. If they progressively scan it, it should look just as good as DVD video."

How/why? Forgive me if this is an idiotic question.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2324
Devils,
It will only make a big difference if your TV is HD. For those with non-HDTVs, they're stuck with a bad picture.

DVDs will make a perfect example.

For example, take your favorite DVD and plug it into a non-progressive scanning player and the difference in quality is 'night & day' when comparing to a p-scanning DVD player. The disc source doesnt change, but the resulting picture will be much improved because of the method used to read the disc and display it's contents on the screen.

Bronze Member
Username: Bumblebee

Post Number: 29
"2. the bee is a clueless fool. All the bee is doing is self rationalizing the purchase of a cheap 'lightweight' piece of scrap metal. Probably a cheap bottom of the line component well below the level of the 25 or 2600. Im sure whatever bee owns, it's fitting those tiny halfpint speakers with zero output. There is no receiver in the 1,000 price range that is significantly better than the yammi. Each has their plusses and minuses, and it all averages out. None of this is relevent to the bee because she probably watches lowdef TV on a small screen so the progressive scan upconversion would provide no benefit to her."

???

What did I say? ??? Now I'm really clueless.

Anoni
Unregistered guest
Paul,
I really need your advice since I am another anonymous and don't know crap.
Based on your expertise, would you recommend to pair a McIntosh Combo consisting of a C1000 and a MC602 with a Pair of Focal JM Labs "Nova Utopia Be" ?

How do you compare this set up with yours?

I will wait anxiously for your feedback.

Bronze Member
Username: Darth

Post Number: 13
Paul,
The fact that you are registered and you have listed your gear does not make you any better than anyone on this forum. If anything, you are truly the immature little punk of ecoustics.
If anybody has any respect (For his Audio expertise) for this stupid clown please raise your hand...........still waiting......that is what I thought.
btw, nice BOSE speakers right over the curtains , lovely !
Moron

Username: Uncle_fester

Transylvania

Post Number: 3
Progressive scan is a lot better than 480i if you have a non-interlaced display, but 480p isn't HD and never will be. The improvement has nothing to do with HD and will be apparent on any plasma/LCD device without an inbuilt convertor.
If you get pixellation/blocking with 480i then it probably isn't going to disappear if you convert to progressive scan, that's a problem with too much compression of the broadcast signal.

In Europe, they sell plenty of 480 line Plasma TVs with the 'HDTV compatible' label. Well, yes they are, but our standard TV definition of 576 lines has to be down-converted to use these - and it isn't usually done well.

> If anyone is interested in a Yammi2500 this spring, I'll sell you mine............HEH
I won't be rushing to buy it - it's been used with the wrong impedance speakers ! :-)

Fester

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 650
I just bought a JVC 52" D-ILA today with a native resolution of 720p.

I have no use for a scaling receiver.

Anonymous

As others have indicated, contrary to Paul's assertion - that scaling a 480i cable signal to 480p on a large HD monitor will improve the picture quality - it (the scaler) will provide only marginal improvement, if any, to the viewing experience of low quality cable signals.

Yes I'm annon here @ ecoustics, so I know crap and therefore must have a crappy system. However, I can tell you that in my experience, displaying the all-digital DirecTV SD signal from a DirecTivo, through a DVDO iScan HD+ onto a Samsung HLP5085, scaled by the HD+ to it's native 720p, does nothing for those overly compressed channels that are poor quality to begin with. However, some premium channels and PPV can be DVD-like.

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1012
Simply put: you can not wrench an HD signal out of a non-HD source regardless of the upconversion circuitry and of who indicates otherwise. You can put a BMW engine in a Chevy Cavalier but all you will have is a souped up Cavalier that may fall apart when the engine really kicks in.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 310
Video conversion, and switching are best done through your TV. This keeps the signal path from source to output as short as possible. Some receivers offer a pass-through where if you have components connected to the video inputs of the receiver it will pass the signal through without having to power on the receiver, but for the most part most receivers have to be powered on to use this switching feature.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2328
Kano,
That's a silly response. By saying it that way, it's as if you're trying to imply that your TV outputs 480i signals in 720p quality...........bzzzzzzt, WRONG!

My father has that exact same TV, and you're full of it. The 'i' signals still look terrible, plus you're forced to suffer through screen door effect during sporting events.

Now I'll back up a bit and say it's a quality TV, and I'm not trying to knock it, but dont try to tell me it's something it isnt. I've spent many hours watching sporting events on that 'EXACT' TV, and it by no means walks on water, nor does to the slightest bit better with the standard 'i' channels.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2329
To the anon fools, if you want a serious response, you do not have to register. All Im asking is that you pick a unique name so I can separate each of you fools and keep straight who's saying what.......Is that too much to ask??

When I see the name anon, I pool that comment in with all of the other anon comments, regardless the reasonableness of the most recent post. Do you really want to lump your intelligent response under the same moniker as all the stupid 'anon' posts throughout this forum??

At least with me, you know it's that idiot Paul with the terrible CVs and Yammi......not to be confused with the many 'tens' of idiot anons.

get my drift?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2330
Dale,

Im not confusing HD with 480p. All Im saying is that you can boost the lowdef TV picture quality to the level of DVD quality because of 'p' scanning which doesnt look too shabby.

If you have a large bigscreen, why not pull out that vintage '96 DVD player and give it a spin, and see how terrible the picture looks. I've compared both on my 65" and the difference is night and day. When I pull out the 'old' player, the picture magically becomes horrible.

Keep in mind, the source hasnt changed.............. only the scanning method. The same goes with your Satelite signal......

I cant speak for those with crappy cable..... Im all digital and couldnt imagine still living in the world of analog cable.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1018
Paul, I agree.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1019
Paul, looks like our posts crossed. Let me be precise. I agree with your penultimate post not with the conclusion in your last post that..."you can boost the lowdef TV picture quality to the level of DVD quality". Improve and enhance the picture, perhaps. But you cannot take a signal with 330 lines of horizontal resolution and accurately convert it into one with well over 400 lines no more than you can take an 8 track audio recording and transform it into a full spectrum audio recording despite your best efforts of equalization and signal processing.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 860
Eric

I disagree with you. The best way to do this is in a receiver or external scaler. Most display devices have only a few inputs. Much better to put all the inputs into a receiver or scaler which does the job properly and then feed a clean signal to the display device. However, you would lose multi-input features (such as PIP) if you went this route, unless the scaler/receiver did that for you.

I foresee a future with single (HDMI) input display devices and separate 'tuners' which incorporate multiple inputs of multiple types with conversion and scaling. By using HDMI, the displays would also have basic audio sorted out too.

480i vs 480p is a big difference - almost as big as composite vs component. It's easy to see. Just unset prog scan on your display and player. Play the disc. Set prog scan on display and player and play the same disc again. Difference is very obvious and that's using all the same hardware and same source medium.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 311
Again I'll have to disagree with you Frank. Most HDTV's worth their salt have at least one HDMI or DVI input as well as more than one Hi Def component input. When you route the video signal through a receiver there is a chance that the signal will be exposed to noise which can come from the signal being in close proximity to the amplifier sections and other circuitry of the receiver. This prospect of noise is unecessary and eliminated if the signal is sent directly to the display.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2332
And if you have satelite, the pip is already 'out the window'........LOL

That is unless you're playing a different source in the other window. That's a shame too, because my TV has tons of cool pip options.

Well......at least I was able to finally get my point across well enough to that 'at least' a few understand my point. Being able to convert 480i standard satelite channels to 480p is a huuuuge benefit. That goes without saying that any benefits will be limited if your source is a poor analog cable source. Satelite sources, however, should be able to look every bit as good as a 'p' scanned DVD.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2333
Dale,
DirectTV only broadcasts 330 lines?? The reason I singled that out is because that's my source. If that's the case, I wont argue your point that it cant be equal to a DVD.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1021
No. Directv's signal is closer to 425. I did not understand your commnets in at least one of your posts to only apply to Directv:"Im not confusing HD with 480p. All Im saying is that you can boost the lowdef TV picture quality to the level of DVD quality because of 'p' scanning which doesnt look too shabby." Perhaps I misunderstood you.

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
Paul,
You have still not answered my question about the release date of the 2600. How did you hear it was April 2006. IMO that's too late. FYI, the guys from audioholics.com will have a review of it soon as they are at the CEDIA show this week and will be able go give a first look rundown of this new receiver.
I think we should all be glad there is several new, very exciting new receivers on the horizon and quite argueing about them, at least until we see what they really are. Then we can argue about which is better and so forth.
Now about that release date.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2335
Dale,
It wasnt you.

It was someone before you that was confused. Somebody earlier in the thread mistakenly made the assumption that I was confusing HD with 480p and they started that line of discussion..."you cant get a HD picture from a non HD source", and I think you were feeding off their incorrect assumption. Although their statement was true, it had nothing to do with our topic of discussion in this thread. I agree with them, but it has nothing to do with improving what we're talking about here.

Silver Member

Post Number: 653
Paul, please explain how a scaling receiver does a better job of scaling a 480i signal to progressive than a TV that scales everything to 720p does.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2336
ll,
I googled it and the sources were NOT official ones. The unofficial chatter was that they still need to offload a large inventory of 2500s before they would release the new model to avoid getting stuck with the older model.

Is that true?? I have no clue, but it makes sense. Once the new model is released, the 2500 sales will drop off significantly, and they'll need to slash the price to get rid of them. That assumption seems reasonable enough considering the 2500 hasnt been on the shelf for very long.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2337
Kano,
I know exactly what TV you have, and it does nothing to improve the 480i signals. The 480i signals look absolutely no different on your 720p tv than than they do on my 1080i TV. 720p native or not, it 'DISPLAYS' the low def signals in 480i......

YOUR TV DOES NOT DISPLAY 480I SIGNALS AS 720P. You're confused.....

This topic was explained very thoroughly and clearly by the __xvxvxv__ guy?????.......or something like that. This was a topic on another thread, and he was a big help. If someone has seen him active in another thread lately, we need to bring his butt in here. He is very knowledgable on this topic, and can explain it very well.

Anoni
Unregistered guest
Paul,
Which sub-woofer do you recommend for my system?
Have a Durabrand 7.1 3500 watts per channel all channels driven

also have a Telefunken 13" TV, Should I upgrade?

Thanks!

Anoni
Unregistered guest
Paul,
sorry, I meant 3500 watts total output.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1025
Paul, the sad part is that it's all true-or at least Anoni thinks it is.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5542

Anoni - You're in luck! It looks like Paul will be upgrading his stuff. Just show up at the dumpster the night he brings home the new world class Yamaha.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1030
Jan, you think Anoni would be getting an upgrade or would it be a lateral move?

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 915
$1200 to $ 1500 is hardly world class for a A/V receiver,the more video options A/V receivers offer in the future the worst the sounds gonna get.Anoni you better watch it if the new Yammie doesent have 4 ohm to 8 ohm swithes Paul may be showing up at your dumpster with the new Yammie in Hefty garbage bags!

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
Paul,
According what I just read on audioholics Yamaha is telling them the 2600 is due out in October. Hope that helps and is true.
Tawaun,
Why do you [and Jan] continue to post on the receivers section when you have such obvious distain[misplaced BTW] for receivers and those who own them?

Anoni
Unregistered guest
Definitely an upgrade ! well, on a second thought from my lovely Dura B absolutely a downgrade !

Anoni
Unregistered guest
BTW,
I was really hoping to get a reply from Sir Paul himself, it would really be an honor to have his vaulable input.

let's wait and see

fx
Unregistered guest
Paul,

Per your request but you may not like my answer. Scaling the 480i signal through a receiver to 480p or sending it to a display that does it own internal scaling to any progressive would be six of one and a half dozen of the other, except:

If your TV/Display will scale any input to it's native resolution, as all fixed pixel displays must do by design then the additional scaling done by the receiver will add more scaling artifacts.

The only combination of DVD player, receiver and displays that I see useful here is below:

1) You have a non-progressive DVD player
2) You have either a digital CRT which accepts and displays 480p without rescaling.
3) Or a quality analog CRT Display
4) Your scaling receiver would then help and not hurt.

Any other combination will not help in any manner other than to reduce cable clutter. Or I suppose if you only have a single input on your display this receiver will be useful or to those who do not have universal remotes and enjoy the convenience of one button switching both audio and video sources.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Post Number: 916
Anonymous who are you?nobody use a ID I dont think you exist im sure Jan feels the same way to,stop being a coward and post who you really are,until then shut your mouth you have no right to tell registerd members anything about where to post,cant you read up under your anonymous id what does it say? it says guest so learn your place and stop complaining,your lucky you can post without a username.So if you want rights stop posting as anonymous and quit being yellow down the back,as matter of fact im gonna star a thread about you gosts and see if we can get all you parasites rided off this form.If Paul doesent like anonymous posters what the hell does that tell you idiots about your character P.I.S.S. 100 million you cowerdly moron!!!!

Anoni
Unregistered guest
what is a gost? ...lol
ahhh...found it! Man am I clever !

GOST
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
GOST (Russian AIYO) is short for Government Standard. It means an official standard setforth by the government of Russia.

GOSTs can apply to any such standard, ranging from food ingredient normatives to welding procedures.

In cryptography, GOST is often used to refer to one particular standard, the GOST 28147-89 block cipher.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOST"

:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 917
Oh sorry i mispelled another word again.

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
Tawaun,
I asked a serious question. I was not trying to provoke you at all. Im not a "ghost", I am a long time poster ofseveral years who does not want to use my old name and the reasons are not your concern. Just please answer my question in a serious way, if you can. You might also want to learn how to type, spell and use the language in a way somewhat close to the correct way.
I take it from your posts that you also have been into this hobby for several years and maybe even in the sales end of it. I honestly want an answer and am asking this in a civil manner. Maybe sometimes on a forum like this it's hard to tell a posters true intention, mine is a honest attempt at an honest answer. Look forward to getting one if you can give it.

Anoni
Unregistered guest
Tawaun,
Do you have MS Office ? You could use it to edit your text and do spell checks before posting.

Just a thought

Bronze Member
Username: Marcuslee842

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 58
Sounds like a nice reciever but my HD cable box will convert 480i to 480P, 720P or 1080i so I won't lose sleep over the Yamaha. Not to mention my TV already does a pretty good job of upconverting 408i to 480P.

Silver Member

Post Number: 921
Anoni i'll have to check that out.Mister so called gold member,so you really dont think me and Jan should come on the receiver threads why?And what question are you really asking?Ill answer it for both of us.You(no pun intended but you seem like complainer,just thought id say that,you know the same way you dont like my typing.)

anonymousll
Unregistered guest
Well, if that is the case, I think that you just make up everything you write here and the reality is that you probably have a very low quality system in your home. I know I don't believe anything you say.

anonymousll
Unregistered guest
And what was the intend of those parenthesis?
lol Man you make no sense !
:-)

Steven Platz
Unregistered guest
Paul said this post
"720p native or not (the jvc 720p tv), it 'DISPLAYS' the low def signals in 480i......"
fx said on another thread
"The Sony Grand Wega kdf-42we655 displays in 788p 100% of the time, period, finished, no other correct answer!!!"
now you guys have confused me. if a sony, jvc, whatever is a fixed native 720p display what is meant that it 'displays' the low def in 480i?
can you guys help out a newbie?

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
Tawaun,
I'm so glad to see that I am the reason you feel the need to post on the receivers thread. What about all the times you have posted long before I decided to post again after six months or so of abstaining? Why can't you just answer the question? Since you admit you can't understand my question I'll attempt to ask it again. Why do you post on a section of this forum that deals with a component you obviouly hold in distain? I'm sure you have a better reason than me.
I know we have been down this road before but I'll try to explain again. When I impulsively decided to post a while ago for the first time in several months I decided I did not want to use my old name and in order to separate my posts from the people who just use "anonymous" I thought of using anonymousII. At least you know it's the same guy when you see that. You were not on this board when I decided to quit so maybe you don't know how it was being hijacked by a few people who used it to do nothing but trash other people, even more than now, which is all to frequent. I wish I had a better explaination but if you don't think I really am a gold member go to the speaker section and look at the thread "question for Frank".You'll see a post directed at me that will show you what I say is true. Now let's get off that.
As I said before it seems that you are or have been in the sales end of this hobby and if true that's great. I have also and know how much fun that can be. I also appreciate your comments on the speaker forum about Dynaudio speakers. Maybe we can discuss them if you are interested. I am considering a Dynaudio system in the near future. Later.

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
Tawaun,
I see some idiot has hijacked my handle "anonymousII". I DID NOT post the two previous posts prior to the last one. That was not me. The same thing happened to me a couple years ago and is one of the reasons I have not used my old name. It is really frustrating to try to hold a serious conversation and some moron steals your name, real or not.
To the above thief, you are the type of scum that almost ruined this board last winter and why don't you go play in the street somewhere. Get off, adults are trying to have a serious discussion.
Tawaun,
My apologies and I guess I'll have to come up with something else.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5543

"Why do you [and Jan] continue to post on the receivers section when you have such obvious distain[misplaced BTW] for receivers and those who own them?"

Sir, I will answer this in what I assume will stay a civil fashion - unlike the last time I responded to one of your posts.

First, I find it humorous in the extreme that on a thread started by Paul you ask why someone with a perceived disdain for a certain type of product, and a definite disdain for those who own such a product, would continue to post in an area of the forum you think they would avoid. How many times over the past six months has that exact question been posed to Paul concerning why he continually posts on the Home Audio section? I doubt I could count the number. If you want to discuss distain for a product in anyway unlike what someone owns, you need look no further than your host on this thread, my dear sir.

Second, I care not what name you post under. You are correct when you say I will know you by your signature when I see it. However, as a past member, you should be quite aware that any unregistered guest can have their identity stolen by anyone merely typing in that sequence of letters. If you've been here as recently as six months ago, you should know I was not a registered member until recently when someone began posting using my name. It can be a very frustrating experience to see words appear that are attributed to your name when you know you did not write them. I would urge you to register as someone, anyone, even if it is only as anonymousll.

Thirdly, you have totally misread my opinion of receivers and I would like you to explain why you think I have disdain for them as a product. I have sold many, many receivers and I own several at the present time.

My real problem with this thread is Paul. He knows that, everyone on the forum knows that. Except you apparently. And, I find it amazing that Paul can actually put together a few sentences that make sense and that he does understand what is happening with the video portion of his HT. He is rather good at explaining the operation of the video portion of this receiver's functions. Now you tell me why he can't bring that same intelligence to every post that he makes on the Home Audio forum? Why does he choose to play the asinine bufoon on this forum? Life would be so much simpler if he would stop with the Jekyll and Hyde serum. So much more could get done if there weren't so much time being devoted to swatting Paul.

As to receivers proper; I suggest you do your homework on my opinions before you make your claims. Start with two recent threads. The first is "Which Way to Spend" (https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/154029.html). And, the second would be the thread where we first came across each other in your present life, "Which receiver setting is best" (https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/158758.html).

You'll see that I favor simplicity in design along with reliability and longevity. I am not a videophile, so my interest in a receiver with all the features described above is very, very minimal. I didn't like selling this sort of product though I did because I realize some clients prefer to understand the faceplate and not the internals. To me the idea an audio company would pack a receiver with features (many of which will not be used by many clients and might simply lead to confusion) while skimping on the power supply and the stability of the circuitry to the extent protection circuits and fans are required to keep it running is absurd in the extreme. This is what I have disdain for. Over-engineered features in a package of under-engineered product. That I see this as having been foisted on the buying public for the last thirty plus years is just the tip of the iceberg in my opinion.

Does that answer your question?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5546

Try this. Buying a receiver based on the features it has packed in it is like buying a burger based on the tomato that comes on top.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 871
anonymousII

I appreciate that you may have very good reasons for not wishing to use your old handle. However, the truth will out especially as you have quite a distinctive style of writing, so you may as well come clean and either use your old handle or get a new one that suits you. At least then, we're in with a shout for knowing if it's really you when you put your view forward.

FWIW I enjoy your posts...at least I think they're yours...:-)

Regards,
Frank.

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
Jan,
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I jumped to a false conclusion about your true feelings about receivers. I too look for a quality power supply, capacitors, heat sinks etc. before any such features and frivilous dsp modes I would never use. Of course Paul's beloved company Yamaha has been the main proponent of useless dsp modes while producing horrible sounding receivers over the last twenty years or so. As a lover of Yamaha's very good products of the 1970's that has been a real disappointment. To my ears Yamaha finally woke up with the introduction of the 1400/2400 a couple years ago. I wouldn't say they are my first choice [I don't own one] but at least they are listenable.
Features are fine but the sound quality must come first.
I am in a situation that living in a small house with only a 14x14 living room I am unable to put together the system I would really like if I had a bigger room. Moving is not an option as I am saving as much money as I can so I can retire in hopefully 4 years. I have thought about it though. So, I have to compromise a bit and put together the best integrated system I can.
I asked Frank about Dynaudio Audience series speakers on the speakers page. Do you have any experience with them?
I noticed that Paul can put together a cogent thought and like you wish he and some of the others here would be a bit more serious minded.
I think you would have appreciated this forum a couple years ago. It has lost several excellent people for one reason or another. I think some got fed up with the trolls like I did.
If I decide to keep posting I will do my best to keep it civil so we can keep this forum as good as possible.
Frank,
Thanks for the kind word. Like I told Jan I'll do my best to remain civil and I appreciate your kindness considering our getting off on a bad start. I didn't realize I have a "distinctive" writing style. Learn something everyday.

anonymousll
Unregistered guest
After some thinking, I have decided to register with a new name. I really hate the fact that someone us using my identity to post false statements.
Thank you guys for your magnificent advise and even more so for embracing make and me me feel like I am a very special person.
Please understand that it has been somewhat difficult to recover from my last trauma.

Let's enjoy the music!

Group hug !

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
Ok all. Here we go again. The above dipwad has done it again. An obvious attempt to drive me from this board and I see no other choice but to register again or just move on to a board that doesn't have morons all over the place.
To Jan and Frank,
I know you guys realize the situation I am in and I am sorry this has happened. I guess I should have either came back on under my old name or or just stayed off. Maybe I can talk to you at a later time. I will continue to read this board to see what you are up to. Regards.

Silver Member

Post Number: 922
Thats fine thats another one of my gripes about posting anonymous its almost like a soapopera you dont who is who or what is what,when you register we will talk about Dynaudio,I dont think it will do any good to get into it right now.So no hard feelings,I'll take the phonys coments with a grain of salt,im lookong foward to talking with you.

Anoynymous
Unregistered guest
hey man,
I was just having some fun. Please stay. I will not mess with you anymore. No joke.
Sorry I made you feel that way.
believe it or not I am being honest.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5549

If utterly clueless!

Anoynymous
Unregistered guest
Jan,

funny as always ! you crack me up old man.

LOL

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5560

Thanks, I live just for that!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2341
This thread went downhill fast............

Fx thanks for the reply. I've done some reading to learn more, and no longer think that feature means a hill of beans in most cases. It was a fun thread while it lasted and it grew its own legs, but it's run its course. You can upconvert a crappy broadcast source to gazillion-p if you wanted, and you'll still be stuck with the lousy source. As things stand now, I wont upgrade my receiver with a HDMI model until HD-DVDs hit the market.

Anoynymous
Unregistered guest
Wow, that is a terrific way of living your life !
That explains many things.
Thank you !

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5570

"This thread went downhill fast............ "

Oh, p, how many times have you dragged a thread into the bathroom just to drown it in the toilet?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5571

"Wow, that is a terrific way of living your life !"

My services are available for a price.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 877
I don't know who the phony anonymous poster is, but s/he's got a great sense of humour. Shame s/he can't just register and take the mick openly, s/he'd be an interesting character!

Regards,
Frank.

Anonynymous
Unregistered guest
Sure,

I have $0.20 in my pocket, you lucky rascal, I can hire you for 40 hours !

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5581

Sorry, your credit's no good.

Anoynymous
Unregistered guest
I said I have cash in my pocket....carefully re-read my post. Take your time.
See!

anoynymous
Unregistered guest
Frank,
I will think about it. Glad to see that you take the funny side of all this. Too bad anonymousll took it so seriously. Oh well, I really wish he comes back maybe with a different name.

Voila!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5583

So you are "voila!". A very clever ruse, voila!. But not clever enough!

Silver Member

Post Number: 925
I must admit you are funny and not in the Paul kinda way.So why dont you just register?

Anoynymous
Unregistered guest
Jan,
now I am a little disappointed, voila is the same thing as saying "There". I know you know is a french word.
If we follow your logic can you imagine how many people could be named "Regards" :-)

So che lei puo fare meglio

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5588

Regards is wanted too.

Fer somebody with a sense o'humor, you shore don't get it.

Anoynymous
Unregistered guest
Hey!
That is not funny. come on Jan, you can be funny too, being dull gets old or doesn't ?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5592

Sorry, I got other things to do right now.

Anoynymous
Unregistered guest
Fine! be that way !

I know you don't like the smiley face! so, here !
:-) :-) :-)

Anoynymous
Unregistered guest
Man, I really hijacked Paul's thread did I.
Sorry Paul but the truth is that nobody cares about you upgrading anything anyway :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Blasterman

Post Number: 18
Hey guys, where'd that guy go who was claiming you could 'up-convert' 480i with some miraculous Yamaha technology? My GF has a JVC reciever, and I wanted to ask him if I hook it up to my household 220 line can I get more wattage out of it :-)

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5603

He went home. Call him there.

Silver Member

Post Number: 655
So if my TV has a native resolution of 720p, does it not display 480i sources in 720p?

I never claimed it looked like DVD quality, but there's an obvious increase in color saturation.

Paul - next time you're at your Dad's, try turning the detail (sharpness) all the way down. Ghosting and "screen door effect" pretty much disappear from crappy sources. I just keep it at -30 for everything as I think it produces a more natural image.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5615

Kano - I haven't gone back to read the specifics of your system, so I may be off base here. If so, please forgive. No, your 720p resolution may not upgrade all programming to 720p. Firstly, your set may simply claim a resolution of 720 lines but do nothing to bring programming up to that level of resolution. It will display any program it receives in 720 or higher at that resolution, but unless you have information from the manufacturer the TV does upsample all information to 720p, you probably are still watching in 480 resolution. The difference between the two is not that easily discerned when the intial broadcast is made in 480i. The increase in color saturation shouldn't have any real meaning to whether the program is shifted in resolution. If this occurs when you change the TV's set up menu from one resolution to another, you might simply be seeing the difference that occurs when the signal passes through additional enhancement circuitry.

DVD is lower resolution than 720 and, if your programming doesn't reach DVD quality, you probably are still watching in 480.

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/04/04may24c.cfm

Silver Member

Post Number: 657
"D.I.S.T - Digital Image Scaling Technology - D.I.S.T is an original digital algorithm technology that seamlessly up-scales any video sources such as NTSC (480i ; ie conventional terrestrial broadcast sources, DVD videos, etc.), and progressive 480p signals to 1080 or 1500 scanning lines."

http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/product-detail.asp?model=HD-52Z575

Silver Member

Post Number: 658
For DVDs I'm scaling the image to 720p using the Denon DVD2910 through HDMI.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5633

Then I've got to ask; why stop at 720?

Silver Member

Post Number: 660
The Denon can scale to 480p/720p/1080i

The 480/720 look very similar with the 720 having a bit more smoothness to the picture and presenting higher motion scenes with more clarity.

1080i for some reason zooms the image 2x and is therefore useless. The display is not capable of 1080p. Only a small number of very expensive displays are.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 880
Jan

because the next step is 1080p and that's got to be reserved for next year's models! :-)

Obvious innit?!

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 881
Oh, and after that you'll get the 2k displays of course.

Digital technology is shafting quality manufacturing through all this change. No sooner has the technology stabilised than the manufacturers try to get everyone onto the next best thing! This really annoys me as a retailer because my customers expect some longevity and I need to be able to recommend things to them that gives them the confidence that when they come back in two or three years' time, their expensive purchases haven't become so obsolete that they can still fit within their home scenario. No wonder there's a resurgence in 2-channel stereo...

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 664
Hey you old timers don't lump me in with the bandwagon jumping gullible average consumer. I researched this purchase for months and have been amazed by the quality of this set.

I know Jan's comments equate upscaling 480p signals to 720p to matrixing surround from 2 channel sources. But with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray just around the corner, which will output in 720p, this set makes sense on all fronts.

Threw in "The Incredibles" last night since cartoons generally make any tv look its best, and watched with my mouth open the color and detail were simply astounding.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 304

Frank I wouldn't be so hard on the manufacturers. Technology moves very fast, but moving laboratory technology into a test phase, manufacturing process and production takes a long time. In essence the technology is already outdated by the time the unit hits the market.

However, this is also why some of them are shirking the their time tested QC procedures and selling units that are not fully tested and anger the end users (i.e. Sony)

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5674

Stof - Yamaha was selling receivers and letting the consumer be the field testers and the repair shops be the redesign facilities way back when I was selling their product in the mid 1980's. They were one of the last Japanese receiver manufacturers to switch to this method of construction and in the field redesign.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 305

So that's who Microsoft learned from.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us