affordable A/V receiver with 2+ hdmi or DVI inputs?

Bronze Member
Username: Afrogeek

Post Number: 22
Hello, I need to find a solution for my need of 2 hdmi inputs. I decided that maybe it's best I just upgrade from my existing A/V unit to something that may have what I need for inputs. Does anyone know of an affordable (<$1000) a/v system that would allow me this luxury? Someone mentioned a Kenwood. But, I'm not sure which one.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 642
You can also just buy an HDMI selector switch, unless of course you wanted to upgrade your receiver of course.

Problem is that current receivers with 2 hdmi inputs tend to be above $2000 MSRP.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI-HDMI-switchers.htm

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2300
Nope....Not at this time.

In a couple years, I think you'll have many to choose from. Until HD-DVDs become the norm, there really isnt any use for multiple DVI/HDMI connections. I dont thing the current market batch of HDMI dvd players are worth the hassle because they dont look any better than the others.

Once they make the move to HD, it will be a different story.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 644
"I dont thing the current market batch of HDMI dvd players are worth the hassle because they dont look any better than the others. "

I'll have to go ahead and call BS on that one Paul.

What do you base the above statement on?

Please do tell.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2301
I've looked into the upscaling DVD players, and I happen to think they are terrible. I think all they upscale is grain and imperfections in the video more than anything else.

IF you want upscaled grainy video, then they're the DVD player for you.

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
The new Elite vsx-74txvi has 2 hdmi inputs and 1 output. The new Yamaha rx-v2600 will also have hdmi inputs but not sure how many. It will not have i-link however.

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
Checked the blurb about the Yamaha on audioholics and the 2600 will also have 2 hdmi in, 1 out. List is $1399 but no release date. The Elite list is $1500 but is not out yet much either. The only place I know for sure has had it is Magnolia, in selected Best Buy's. I guess they got the jump on the smaller dealers. Mine doesn't have any and doesn't know when he will.

Silver Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 224
The Outlaw 1070 goes for $899 and has two DVI inputs. See Outlaw Audio.

Unregistered guest
"I've looked into the upscaling DVD players, and I happen to think they are terrible. I think all they upscale is grain and imperfections in the video more than anything else.

IF you want upscaled grainy video, then they're the DVD player for you."

I had this problem too. It's def. grainy. however there is a sig. increase in performance between component, vs. the HDMI inputs, on both my dvd player, and comcast cable box. For now, the cable box will have to be connected thru the componenet cables. The difference is not worth the $250.OO cost of an hdmi switch.

Gvenk
Unregistered guest
In the interests of accuracy...

HDMI connectivity is orthogonal to upscaling. While HDMI allows for upscaling bandwidth, it isn't necessary to do so. You can send low res signals via HDMI as well. You gain two other things from HDMI connectivity: (a) less cables to make things ugly as audio and video is in the same cable and (b) avoiding signal loss/noise by getting rid of analog transmission.

For the same resolution video sent over the cable, a cheap HDMI cable will have equal or better performance than most of the high-end analog cables.

Whether the signal is upscaled (or should be) is a different issue. Many units have a way to defeat upscaling if you don't like it.

Bronze Member
Username: Steelhrd

Post Number: 31
i have a denon 1910 and the pq is excellent with my hitachi 60vs810 not grainy at all

Username: Sewerpickle

Post Number: 1
hi everyone - in response to the thread starter .. a new onkyo av receiver coming in oct txsr803 is just what you need. i know i'm getting one!

Username: Jamie52

Neptune, NJ

Post Number: 1
actually jvc has a inexspensive 475) reciever with two hdmi inputs and one out. check 6th ave.

Username: Tenettech

Post Number: 4
Hey I'm in the same boat here...I just pre ordered a jvc rx-d702b from Vanns.com for $600 that has 2 hdmi and it will upconvert all video signal to HDMI so even your old stuff will go to your tv through 1 cable. Elsewhere seem to be $800. And in the future, when there is a need to buy equipment with HDMI, you're ready to go.

Someone mentioned that upconverted signals are grainy. Are you saying that the video coming from a super video cable to the TV will be better than a super video signal that has been upconverted to hdmi and sent to the TV? If so then that is something I don't know about. I'm assuming that video that has been upconverted will be just as good as the original signal. You're not going to get HD quality, but no worse than if yoou hooked it up directly to the TV.

rk99
Unregistered guest
CNET has a review of the current options (but it doesn't list Outlaw or the new Yamaha 1600 and 2600). It's here: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6462_7-6250950.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us