Speaker wire guage

Username: Garo

LondonUK

Post Number: 10
Could anyone shed any light on the confusing world of speaker wire guage.

I've recently bought some 2 x 2.5mm2 QED original wire to power a set of 6 olm speakers.

All sources of information regarding recommended maximum lengths specifies wire size in AWG.

Is there a method that i can find out what the AWG of my 2.5mm2 speaker cable is??

Thanks in advance

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 504
http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=guide_awg_to_metric

Bronze Member

LondonUK

Post Number: 11
Thanks for link, The link i've been given in regards to max recommended lengths

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

states that the further distance you want to go, the THINNER the wire should be! Is this the case or am i confused!!

Further to that, currently i am running 13 AWG wire for 5m on a 6 olm load, would you suggest this is not appropriate

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 505
That doesn't sound right to me. The thicker the wire the less resistance. I didn't see that reference in the article you posted although I haven't taken time to read the whole thing. 13 AWG for a 5m run with 6 ohm speakers should be just fine.

Bronze Member

LondonUK

Post Number: 12
It doesn't explicitly state that fact, but what the "wire table" does show is that as the AWG gets smaller, (from 22AWG to 10AWG, the recommended maximum lengths go from 3 feet to 50 feet respectivley (at 2 olms for arguements sake.

I believe i'm right in saying that a 22awg is a thicker wire than a 10awg

Has this table got any credibility at all as it seems it defies the laws of physics??

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5488

You are incorrect, sir. 10AWG is a thicker cable than 22AWG. It is confusing, but that's how the system works. Before asking for a reason why this is so, you would be better off calling your local telephone service provider and asking why you pay "local service taxes" and where the money goes. By the time you get that answer, wire guage will be a piece of cake to understand.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 470
I like that response Jan.

Gary - The lower the gauge, the thicker the cable. The higher the gauge, the thinner the cable.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1381
Wire size works in a log scale (like sound pressure in dB).

In sound, an increase of 3 dB requires a doubling of power. In wire, a decrease of 3 units doubles the area. So a single 12 AWG wire has as much cross-sectional area as 4 wire of size 18 AWG.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5493

As long as we are discussing American Wire Guage #'s. This is another case where most of the rest of the world seems to take more easily understood measurements.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us