Onkyo & Klipsch

Unregistered guest
Hey

looking to maybe buy the onkyo integra flagship receiver 989 version 2 ultra 2 thx cert etc etc...

and the klipsch rf-7's (pair) to start with

have heard this in a store and it sounded pretty wicked, but not too sure about connectivity of receiver ie, no usb or firewire ports etc like pioneers top line with the i.Link (in my opinion the onkyo integra 989 sounded way better than the pioneer flagship)

what do people think of this? any comments or suggestions? any help would be much appreciated!

thanks
-tim

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 244
My brother had the Onkyo 898 and Klipsch CF-2s. It was a really nice sound as well. But, it still seemed a bit bright and the Klipsch always seemed bass-shy to me.

The Onkyo Integra is a really nice receiver with plenty of power. You may want to listen with the Integra with some Paradigm Monitors. I've heard this combination and loved it. It will be a different sound from what you heard with the Klipsch.

Unregistered guest
Hey

yeah they sounded pretty nice, im not too familiar with these paradigms, ill have to check em out (if theyre in the same kinda price range in Australia...)

i do like this onkyo receiver tho my main hesitation with it is the connectivity... just not sure.

thanks for the reply
-Tim

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 232
tim^au,

If you don't have a DVD player with firewire and don't plan on getting one, then the "connectivity" should not be an issue. Go with what sounds better to you. You shouldn't have to sacrifice sound quality in order to get a feature that you might never use anyway.

Unregistered guest
Hey

oh sorry i forgot to mention that, i am actually looking to buy a dvd/sacd/dvd-a/cd player u know those combo ones, like the pioneer top line one, but i dont know, you see this is where my problem is lol, im just not sure, like it sounds great yes, but with these new things like HDMI (pioneer and a few others using it) and things like i.Link (sonys thing on some other brands inc pioneer)

coz its such a big thing to buy i dont wana get it and go oh i need that connection or whatever you know what i mean. so i wana match the stuff properly and right from the start, keeping in mind quality of links (digital links etc)

i guess this could be more of a discussion, but anything said here would help a lot, good or bad.

but yeah johnny i know where you're comin from, and the onkyo is sounding pretty nice!

thanks for the reply!
-tim

riches1
Unregistered guest
I had the Onkyo 701 paired with the Klipsch RB35's up front in an all Klipsch 5.1 system. That is a good match. I have read some posts where Klipsch also match well with H/K receivers, which would inidicate that they do well with "warm" receivers. I A/B'ed the Klipsch with HK 325 and Denon 2803. The RB35's sounded "thin" with the Denon. Depending on what you want to spend for your DVD player, Pioneer has the least expensive universal DVD player (plays SACD and DVD-audio) the DV-563A for about 199. However, Denon makes two wonderful universal DVD's at $599 and $999 if you are looking for something better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us