$20 CASH to 1st solution to my Onkyo receiver problem

Username: Bigscottyz

Warren, Mi USA

Post Number: 1
I will paypal a $20 prize to whoever can help me first with this!...

I have Onkyo 702 receiver and I have my comcast cable box correctly connected with an optical connection to optical port #4 on my onkyo receiver. I have to be in mode Video 1 to hear the audio.

My problem is:

I also have directv. If i take the optical connection out of the comcast box and into the directv box then i have sound on Video 3 for my Satellite service. But I have an extra optical cable that if i have both plugged in at the same time, only one works. In fact, i have tried all ports on the receiver and the only one i can get a result from is the 4th port, it works for either satellite or comcaset but how do i get it set up to work for both with 2 optical wires?

my email is bigscottyz@hotmail.com

Bronze Member
Username: Thunder18

Post Number: 29
If it is still under warranty, then you need to get another unit. If not, then I believe here is your only choice.

http://www.impactacoustics.com/product.asp?cat_id=903&sku=27027
For $9.99 this splitter will allow you to use 2 optical digital output equipped devices with one optical digital input. You will need another optical cable as well though, but you can get one at Wal-Mart for less than $20. The only inconvenience I can see with this is with possibly having to switch which video source is assigned with that optical input #4 since it appears to be the only one that works.

The only other option is to get a switcher that includes component video and optical digital inputs such as this:
http://www.digitalconnection.com/products/video/1154a.asp

It's a bit pricey at $179, but that's a lot cheaper than buying another THX Select certified receiver. It's also auto-sensing so you may never have to switch sources again on your receiver or the TV since it has 4 component, 4 analog stereo, 4 optical digital and 4 digital s/pdif inputs(digital coaxial).

I hope that solves your problem
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us