I am poor and need advice

Username: Beeker

Post Number: 2
I was originally going to replace my broken all in one unit (you know those crappy $100 dollar sony's?) with another slightly better version (like $200). As I was reviewing one of them, someone wrote that I might as well get an Onkyo or Sherwood receiver paired with a dvd/cd player and a pair of jbl or polk bookshelf speakers for about $250. Problem is I know nothing about all of this stuff and the more I go into it the more I want to get. I don't know how much better this optical sounds than what I am used to and need a place to hear the difference. Anyway if you had MAX $300 to spend on 1) av receiver 2) speakers and 3) dvd/cd player, what would you get?

As a side note, can someone direct me toward some new literature or offer their opinion on SACD and DVD Audio. Why the hell aren't the Beatles putting them out?

Anonymousll
Unregistered guest
get a better Job

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
Once again some idiot has hijacked my name. I DID NOT post the above stupid comment.

Bronze Member
Username: Fable

Post Number: 38
If you are not joking then you may want to look at this:

http://circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/124130/rpem/ccd/productDetailReview.do#tabs

Seems like a lot of people of tight budget really like this system

Bronze Member
Username: Fable

Post Number: 39
Some info on SACD and DVD-A; enough for you to start. Beware, the more you know, the more you spend. You may end up buying the system that costs twice your original planned budget.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/dvdaudiovssacd.html

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1032
Beek er, $300 is a really tough price point for all the stuff you want. Check into some of the sytems from Onkyo. You might come close. I would consider Sherwood only as a second option.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2344
Beek,
Upgrading to optical cables will only pay off if you intend to run a 5.1 setup. That's because composite cables are not capable of delivering a 5.1 signal.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1812
$300 is tough.

Athena AS-B1s, $100/pair at audioadvisor.com

Sony/Toshiba/Panasonic DVD/CD player, under $70 at most places like Target, Walmart, etc.

I'd increase your budget by a $100 and get the Panasonic sa-xr55 for $228 shipped from Amazon.com this is well worth the extra C-note, you will not want to eBay it in a few years unlike the $100-150 receivers.

If great CD playback is important to you I'd go cheap as possible on the DVD player, say get one for $50 and then buy a dedicated CD player like the Marantz 4300 which is $142 shipped from accessories4less.com refurbed but with 1 year Marantz warranty.

Username: Beeker

Post Number: 3
Thanks everybody for your help. I think I will get that Onkyo HT-S580.

I must explain that my reason for the extremely low price range is that I am in college and besides my family room is REALLY SMALL. I think this will run circles around what I have.

As far as the SACD/ DVD Audio, I don't need it or want it.

I am not looking for an amazing cd player like the Marantz, but, rather a dvd player that will work well with this system and play mp3 cds, and cdr's. any recomendations??

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1911
Toshiba 3980, $60 from BestBuy.

Also if you want maximum cheap prices look at ecost.com refurbs.

Anoni
Unregistered guest
Panasonic S-29 $69.00 @ CC....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6191053#post6191053
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us