DA question

Bronze Member
Username: Blazer

Post Number: 51
Hello everyone:
I know that if I connect my cd player to my receiver via the analog connections that the cd player is doing the DA conversion. However, isn't the receiver converting the signal back to digital in order to apply base management (or surround modes for that matter)then back to analog to be sent to the speakers?
My thinking is: If that is true, why not just use a digital connection to avoid the extra conversion? Thanks for your help!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
I thought this was an easy one. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1621
The digital connection doesn't sound as good. Always use the analog connection for your cd player.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5601

Blazer _ Haven't you heard? Digital is perfect and you can go back and forth and back and forth a gazillion times and it will always be just the same.

NOT!

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1405
Blazer,

I use analog output, set the mains to large and the sub as get low frequencies below 40 Hz as well. Since the mains are set to large and the receiver set to a direct mode, I'm assuming that what is getting to them hasn't gone through additional DSPs.

I would have concerns such as yours if set them to small. Then you would be using both the CD player DACs and the receiver DACs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Thanks guys,
I think I will just set my front bookshelfs to large, set my sub to off, run a line level connection to the sub from the receiver's pre-outs, connect my front speakers to the sub's speaker level outs, and use the sub's LPF. I want to hook my cd player up via analog and also want to use my sub BUT don't want to use the receiver's DAC's to do so. I think this will accomplish that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us