Cinema mode on Denon 1906 - DVDs

Username: Uilleann

Post Number: 6

I am not sure if this question only relates to the Denon 1906 that I just bought or reflects a general misunderstanding of DVD formats.

I just got a Denon 1906. I really like it so far but I am stuck on one issue.

When I play a DTS 5.1 or Dolby Surround encoded DVD the back surround speaker gets a signal but displays DTS PLII x M. I think that means music mode??? Hitting the cinema button does nothing? Shouldn't I be able to get a cinema mode? The instructions seem to indicate that cinema mode is the preferred way??

When I watch a TV movie and can switch between Dolby prologic II and DTS Neo 6. In the latter I can pick between cinema and music.

????

Bob Keenan

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 843
Bob,

As far as I know, you can set the 1906 to choose automatically which DTS option to apply, such as Cinema Mode, but you can also set it to use Music mode. If a mode is chosen the 1906 will go into that mode every time a DTS disc is played. I think you need to select Cinema or Auto mode when it's playing a DTS disc and then you should be on your way.

Cinema mode is definitely preferred with movies since music videos seem to be mastered differently in terms of weighting.

Regards,
Frank.

pete hodbod
Unregistered guest
I'm having exactly the same problem :-(

I'm using an optical cable to connect my Playstation 2 to my 1906, but no matter what I do I cant get the dolby digital or DTS lights to light, and the amp choses instead to go into Dolby Pro logic 2 cinema mode.

Please help.
pete*

pete hodbod
Unregistered guest
I read elsewhere the it could because the incoming digital signal is PCM, and i should be setting it to "bitstream" or DD/DTS"

...Unfortunately i cant seem to find any setting to change it on my ps2 :-(

Am I right?
p*

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 886
Pete

If that were so, the PS2 would have a setup menu were you could set its digital output. You could then choose between PCM and other options (e.g. bitsream), but I'm no whizz on the PS2.

Regards,
Frank.

Anonymous

The initial problem sounds like one I experienced till I realised I needed to reconfigure my DVD Player to send Dolby Digital and DTS audio to the AVR (it had previously been set to send analog audio to the TV). I.e. the 1906 was receiving a data stream via coaxial connection but the DVD player was not outputting DD & DTS streams. Once the DVD player had been reconfigured the 1906 automatically detected the incoming DD & DTS data and all has been happy since.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us