HK3380 w/ AS-B2.... not that loud?

Max Cooper
Unregistered guest
I have to turn up the receiver to around -10 before it gets LOUD, which seems really high on the scale of -80 to +10dB on the volume.... is this normal? The AS-B2s are pretty efficient speakers (91dB i think), and I'm giving them 80 HK watts. I'm just curious if it seems normal to turn it up this high.

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2285
What is loud??? What's loud to one person, might not be so for another.

Do you have bookshelf speakers?

Max Cooper
Unregistered guest
I'm using the AS-B2 bookshelves. I'm going to try out my friend's AVR 235 on my speakers and equipment. It should have to be up even more for the same volume because it's rated at 50 watts per channel, and mine is 80.

Is there anything wrong with having volume up high? Could my source be sending a weak signal?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 638
No, the HK can run at 0dB all day and not break a sweat. Don't be scared to turn it up.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 474
A couple of things to keep in mind -

If the size of the room (volume) is big, it'll take more power to fill it.

The db numbers are relatively meaningless (I think they are, but maybe not). They should be used as a reference. Note where the sound starts clipping or distorting, and don't turn it up higher than a few notches below that.

If the receiver is very hot (which is relative) at your "normal" listening level, it may not have enough power.

All sources aren't created the same. CD player X may play louder than CD player Y at the same volume knob position. This is normal.

Along the lines of all sources aren't created equal... Different types of sources play at different levels. An average turntable, cd player, minidisc player, and mp3 player will all play at different volumes, even though the volume knob is at the same position on the receiver.

You haven't mentioned your source. If you are using a turntable, it will gererally play lower, especially if it isn't connected to a phono input (there are other issues with this too). I occasionally connect my portable minidisc player to my intergated amp for parties when sound quality isn't important. I have to turn the volume knob almost twice as much compared to my cd player to get the same sound level.

If your source is a cd player in a normal sized room and needs to be cranked to the point where the receiver gets very hot to get moderate sound levels, it may be the cd player. You could buy a new one from a place like best buy or circuit city and try it to see if it fixes the problem. If it doesn't, you can return it. Or if it doesn't, it may be the receiver itself.

H/K is pretty well made and their specs are usually right on, so that wouldn't be my first thought, but it isn't impossible either.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us