General advise needed on choosing speakers

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 178
I've finally got enough money to buy some decent speakers. I won't be sampling any at any hi-fi dealers so thats where you lot come in.
Im looking at the wharfedale diamond 9.1s and the MA bronze b2. Since my room is small I need speakers like the ones i've mentioned because they both have front bass ports. Shame because the mordaunt short902s have so many good reviews and they're less expensive.
Would spending the same amount of about £180 on some monitor speakers be just as good/better/worse for my small room. I will have a speaker more or less either side of my computer, placed so i would nearly get a full stereo effect if you understand me since the speakers will be in line with my ears. They will be attached to my comp using my new e-mu 0404 soundcard which I love!
Decisions pretty much made on the popular NADC320BEE if i took the bookshelf route, but god knows what to get if i got some monitors. If I got some monitors at least I wouldnt have to buy an amp!
I listen to rock/metal with a lot of depth and variety of sounds so I think the two speakers Im looking at will 'open up' everything from a complex metal song with loads of guitars and grunts etc? Compare some cheap 2.1 surround speakers to some normal stereo headphones. The stereo headphones would kick butt. Im looking for that kind of sound only with my speakers (these will be my first hi-fi speakers)!
One last thing, the breakout cables on my soundcard are unbalanced so is it worth buying balanced cables to connect my soundcard to my amp or speakers when you help me to decide.

Hope you can cover everything I've said lol
Thanks people

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5409

How about this.

"I won't be sampling any at any hi-fi dealers."

That's not the wisest decision you could make.

That covers a lot.

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
Well theres not many hi-fi dealers I know of, those I do are ages away and I doubt they'd have both the speakers I mentioned to listen to. Im nearly 17 so the hi-fi area is pretty new to me and since money is tight I dont want to make the wrong decision.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2244
LOL

While we're at it, Im considering buying a new car. I wont look at them in person, nor test drive any....so this is where you lot come in.

Which car should I buy??

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1292
An old banger LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
Lol funny. Speakers £200. Car a few grand. Bit of difference, only I guess Im not as bothered about speakers as much as you lot. You dont test out a computer before you buy one do you! They dont let you compare an Athlon 4800+ to a Pentium extreme edition for a couple of weeks-you go by reviews and what other people think of them.
Im not travelling 30-100 miles to demo some speakers it just seems silly.
Thanks for the..help. Ill just make my own mind theres probably not any difference between them anyway. £180 for some speakers should be easily noticable when playing music.

Bronze Member
Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 50
Jelvis the e-mu has an optical output, why not use that?

Paul...you should buy an early 80's Camaro. It seems to be the transportation mode of choice for the C-V crowd to get to the liquor store and buy a case of cheap domestic beer, in preparation for the Nascar race =D

Gold Member

Post Number: 2245
Jelvis,
Considering you're looking at entry level speakers, you might as well go to BB or CC so you can audition in person, and buy the best thing they have within your budget. Anything in that price range will have limited quality, so you might as well hit the big box stores because there will be no benefit to going to the boutique shops.

Anonymous

no benefit? lets see... PARADIGM vs. BOSE. There is no advantage in buying paradigm over bose? LOL

Bronze Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 42
"Jelvis,
Considering you're looking at entry level speakers, you might as well go to BB or CC so you can audition in person, and buy the best thing they have within your budget. Anything in that price range will have limited quality, so you might as well hit the big box stores because there will be no benefit to going to the boutique shops."

Paul that pound sign he keeps using, that funny looking L thing, indicates he lives in England. They take audio seriously and England and hence all they have are "boutique" shops. No Best Buy or Circuit City lucky them.

Oh and they have much smaller rooms. Your Cerwin Vegas would take up nearly half an average room.

Bronze Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 43
And Paul that 180 in pounds is about $325 US dollars.

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 26
Hi Jelvis. If I am not mistaken ( which I might be) the Quad speakers are made in England. See if the Quad 11Ls are in your price range. I know the Quad 12s will be too expensive.

Also, I have looked at maps of England and hi fi dealer locations; they seem to be everywhere carrying some decent stuff.

Know as far as Wharfedale, this is interesting. I actually have some Warfedales from when they were really top stuff, and VERY heavy! These days, their construction isn't as sturdy and they are thankfully lighter. They are OK as speakers but not quite what they used to be. They are good but not great, and offer several options in their line.

Perhaps some of those HF Fi dealers would allow an in home trial and send them to you for 30 days? I honestly don't know how it works over there.

Becuase of the strength of the pound relative to the Euro, Sonus Faber should be much less expensive for you than us; a pair of Sonus Faber Concertinos, which I have auditioned MIGHT be attainable and would fit the bill, but may be too expensive depending on how much currency benefit you get. Those are made in Italy.

In any case, I wish you luck and think its great that at 17 you are already thinkin about quality of audio. A good thing!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Also, you could order a pair of Ascend CBM 170s and pay shipping, the currency conversion is more in your favor than Quinns post I believe, and would fit your budget.

Bronze Member

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 51
Jelvis - one more thing. It seems there are a staggering number of shops that carry Mission in the UK. With this sort of market proliferation I would imagine there are some great deals to be had. Failing that, I vote MA.

Bronze Member
Username: Skareb

Post Number: 33
I used to have the 320BEE running the diamond 9.1, for the price I would not complain anything they're really good, super hifi value. But I think 2.1 system will be your prefered choice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2247
if he's a young kid.....

He needs to avoid the sissy girlyman speakers designed for limp wristed folks, and buy something that can "rock-out".

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 391
"if he's a young kid.....

He needs to avoid the sissy girlyman"

No doubt. Oh darn - there foes my wrist again. Anyone seen my speakers? I lost a contact and now I just can't find my bookshelf speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2252
He needs to steer clear of the cheese/wine speakrs, and get something more fitting for college use.

Bronze Member

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 52
"get something more fitting for college use"

Maybe BM can help him pick out a bong...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2254
We'll have to refer that question to budget_minded for that....

He's the board druggie.

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
Thats right Im from England with the pound. No BB or CC places you mentioned Paul. Not sure what what you mean by sissy girlyman speakers. Didnt appreciate the young kid comment either but o well. Like Marc said at least Im looking into quality audio now. 2 years ago I was seriously wanting to buy some technics hi-fi system, now I look at it and think what a piece of plastic junk.
Frosty, it might sound strange but I dont have a clue what optical outputs are for. In the manual it demonstrates a portable digital recorder. I dont plan to record onto anything like that. I will be using my card to record my guitar via the analogue ins when I get it for xmas. What did you have in mind? And mission are everywhere in the UK. I went into a shop with some Mission M30i's if I remember. HIM was playing and it sounded very natural..I now understand that midrange british sound people mention. Id go with mission since the sound is go good, only the bookshelfs dont really go below 65hz.That extra freqency to 45-50hz would make a difference.
Marc, I've never actually come across anywhere that sells those Quad and Ascend speakers you mentioned. Im surprised you said that wharfedale speakers are decreasing in quality. I've heard the diamond 7.1s and hated them, they sound distored, held back and too bassy. I've heard the 8.1s and loved them, they weren't even biwired.
But the reason I mentioned the diamond 9.1s and the bronze b2 were because of budget, front bass ports, good reviews and there overall frequency response. I have no room for a decent sub! Like someone mentioned our houses are smaller than an average american house. Im going to a villa in florida in a few months and the space on the bottom floor is bigger than both floors of the house I live in now. I must enphasise the depth of speakers is important, space is very limited. 280mm is about the max depth suitable for speaker placement in my room. It might sound silly but I dont live in a mansion, just an average 4 bedroom house.

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
Skareb mentioned a 2.1 system would be 'my preffered choice'. For example a product like:
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=b57869499ad3dcf48bf242aaa58 dca2b&FORCESTATICPAGE=1&setlocale=en_gb
Would that compare to 2 stereo speakers and an amp?
Someone was wondering how speaker trialing was done here. I know 30 miles away from where I live theres a richersounds which offers trials of some speakers. I think they were doing a 2 week take home trial on the MS 902s.
No ones commented on monitor speakers yet over bookshelfs. 2 places in the UK:
http://www.nusystems.co.uk/category/Studio.Monitors/38/
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/browse/category_id/4b91d244aac97e65fb654 40c100500fc
Anyone recommend some decent monitors? The only disadvantage is that the majority of monitors dont have headphone output which I need since my emu0404 doesnt have one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2255
Jelvis,
You are a young kid, so why would you be offended? How else would you describe yourself?? Everyone is a young kid at some point in their life, and you just happen to be one now..... not that there is anything wrong with that.

Oh yea, and Girlyman speakers are of the little bookshelf variety.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1582
Certainly some "young kids" have a more sophisticated musical palette than Paul.

Jelvis the Tannoy Reveal may be a speaker you could use. It is relatively inexpensive and is the speaker of choice in Eve Anna Manley's bedroom.

Bronze Member
Username: Skareb

Post Number: 34
I was more refering to this set-up:

Save a little more money and go for NAD C352 paired with the Diamond 9.1 and the wharfedale SW150 Subwoofer, the C352 has a 2nd pre-out which the bee doesnt hv and the 9.1 has a sensitivity of only 86db and running at 6o so the extra power helps a whole lot!

You can really kick axx ...then you can really go annoy your neighbours.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
AS far as Warfedale, I meant the construction of the actual speaker is less costly and uses less expensive parts than when they used to be the absolute top of the class. They are a decent line of speakers in general with lots of offereings at differeing price points in a very crowded group of brands. I have 3 way Warfedales built in 1971 and although of course trechnology has advanced if you saw them you would know what I mean.

Goodluck finding what you want!!!

Anonnn
Unregistered guest
You are a young kid, so why would you be offended? How else would you describe yourself?? Everyone is a young kid at some point in their life, and you just happen to be one now..... not that there is anything wrong with that.

Agree with that ! but some people like Paul remain at that mental age their whole life, I mean look at him he is still a kid, a toddler even!

and by the way, whatever he says is pure garbage, he has no idea of audio whatsoever.

Anonnn
Unregistered guest
Hey Paul
P.I.S.S (10) !

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
Well in my mind a little kid is like around 10. I dont think I know anyone whos ever referred to a 17 year old as a young kid. Can see where your coming from as an adult but anyway its off the topic.
Skareb, I wont be buying an amp as expensive as that. Ive already said money is tight. I go to 6th form and dont have a job, just an allowance.
Ill bare in mind about the construction of the diamonds and the recommendation of MA. Either way bookshelfs will easily beat some small 3.5watt satelite speakers with plastic casing.
The girlyman speakers I personally think is crap. You saying some top of the line B&W bookshelfs suck. Well even I know that they wont beat some floorstanders but not everyone in this forums has the space or the money for a hi-fi setup worth over 7k.
Looks like reviews can only give a small hint to how good a speaker is but since you all say hear them yourself it looks like I might have to do that. Ill think about it, but somehow probably just end up ordering some and hope they're good. Pretty confident I'll be impressed!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2262
I dont think I know anyone whos ever referred to a 17 year old as a young kid.
----------
I doesnt surprise me since you hang out with other kids. Heck, I refer to college students as kids because very few of them are adult. Whoa....those were fun years.

Just incase you're wondering, when you assume full responsibility for supporting yourself and or others....that's when you cease being a kid.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 471
http://202.186.86.35/audio/story.asp?file=/2005/8/25/audiofile/25diamond&sec=aud iofile

Marc, your comment about the Wharfedale build quality is not really true. Here is a review concerning the 9.1.

Anonnnn
Unregistered guest
Paul,
Another P.I.S.S. 10....Keep them coming !

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
I read the link. Thanks. I agree that that is nice construction. The binding posts picture is interesting; I prefer them farther apart myself. My comment was not meant to be all or nothing. I just feel that there is some design cheapness as you go down the Warfdale line compared to the seventies, when, in my opinion only, Warfdale was the bomb and introduced me to my first taste of high fidelity audio sound.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 879
Paul what does families have to do with him wanting a new qaulity system something that has eluded you as maturity has to,I hope you read all your posts over again.You sound silly and idiotic on 99% of your posts,but this one may be your lowest moment,Jervis is a testiment to what a young man should be,something you obviously cant fathum,Jervis you are on the right course in audio after all thats all you came to the forum for was for imformation on audio gear,not a teenage lesson by a guy who doesent even have the mental compacity as 10 year old boy,those 9.1s will be swell, check into Epos els 3s my personal prefference in this pricerange they are 200 pounds in the UK so they are still well within your budget,they will provide the thrills you are looking for,all 3 are some of the best examples of budget gear,so good luck,and Anonnnn,I think Paul just went up P.I.S.S.20 and oh and dont worry he will keep them coming you ca bet on that before you bet on the Patriots winning another superbowl!

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3750
Jelvis,

Consider http://www.audio-equipment.co.uk/

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1585
"when you assume full responsibility for supporting yourself and or others....that's when you cease being a kid."

Have to say that I agree with that one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
Tawaun and John, thanks for the info. Those epos els 3 look very nice but problem is they're rear ported. Its a shame my preferences have to be so picky. I like both the speakers I mentioned I simply wanted to know what people thought of them. I know the bronze b2s have got many many reviews of being a superb allround bookshelf and the diamonds are becoming more popular.
About the 'kid' crap, I honestly dont care what people percieve me as. As far as Im concerend I think of myself as as mature young adult. The general comment of supporting youself and or others is right but why would that determine whether Im a child. Should I be a father at 12 and therefore become an adult whereby recieve respect from sir Paul. I have a life to live thanks! Type define:child/kid into google. Think you may find about 6 different ages at which you are supposedly an adult.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
hehe. Good answer Jelvis!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2283
Jelvis is the one who made an issue of the 'kid' response............not me.

Maybe you're a mature and reasonable kid, but adult you arent. Not until you grow up and support yourself will you enter into adulthood. Until then, you're a child living under your parents roof, and you should do as you're told. If you dont...well, then you're a bad kid.

Silver Member

Post Number: 893
Paul you are a silly idiot,you live under your own roof and your still a kid,and I mean not even a teenager.I'll tell you what you and Jelvis should switch places he deffinetly conducts hiself better than you and his audio choices are really grown up while yours is equivalent to a child CVs,Paul whats wrong with this picture?If a 16 yearold kid has real speakers on his resame and you have CVs what does that tell you about yourself,and most of all your coments are just down right hideious.

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
Ahaha pmsl, naughty boy!! I hate living with my parents it sucks. Thats all I can say, I cant wait to move out, but unfortunately I have to bare a further two years before I have some freedom.
Paul I dont want to hear any more of your silly remarks because everyone thinks they're daft. Im not 37 with my own house and car or a wife and kids.
Im a teen, wanting some decent speakers to enjoy all the music i play>.<
I know that what ever speakers I choose will be decent because all my life I've always had an eye for quality.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 475
Marc........I have to say that I am not aware of the 70's Wharfedales but you probably would more than I.

I have been the "closet reader" on this forum lately but the kid comment of Paul was wild!!!!!! I have to agree that he conducts himself and his comments much more childish like than Jelvis would and if he did not mention his age, I would of never thought he was that young. Just to be interested in audio at his age is a sign of maturity as most of the younger generation don't even know what a Walkman is anymore!

Jelvis, comments coming from someone stuck in the 70's with his Cerwin Veggies of what maturity is should be ignored and not used as a reference! He knows nothing about audio besides what he finds at garage sales!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2291
Im sure you'll get some really high quality speakers for your 180 pound budget.

Good luck...

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 477
Jelvis, stick to your original plan of the Wharfedale 9.1. It is very good for the money and all reviews will back me up and also personal experience with them was close to the sound of the Quad11. Don't forget, they are the sister company of Wharfedale and it refelcts off their new Diamond series!

For example, the new Quad subwoofer has gotten fantastic reviews on your side of the river however, Wharfedale sells exactly the same sub in a slightly different box and a lower quality finish but with the same electronics and some people say not to buy it!!!!!!!!!!! Be careful how people perceive quality with price as many reviewers will say that the budget market of today is very close to the high end market of 5 years ago! I bought the 9.6 with a very open mind expecting to spend 3 times more but after listening to many speakers, I picked this one as I found it a better all arounder. Of course there are better but to who? I trust my ears before anything and even though he is a pain, Paul also is a good example of this......afterall, how many people do you know like his speakers? The main thing is, he does!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2298
I think he would need to know someone who knows what they sound like for that to be a qualifier. The CVs would have been well over his parents allowance anyway, even coupled with his 'toothfairy' savings.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 478
Stick to your garage sales Paul and let us handle audio!

We all know what your speakers sound like so please don't give him advice!

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
Lol i feel so special being the center of attention!!
Well paul if you honestly think I still get 'toothfairy' money then your in a lost land of fantasies. I get an allowance of £60 a month and like I said I've got a lot saved.
I would guess that Paul is the sort that would buy an Audigy 2 over say my emu 0404 because of all the awards and great reviews. How wrong that is. Thing is, Im wondering if 2298 of Pauls posts are all random crap and somewhat insults. Everyone seems to think so, so why keep giving 'your advice'.
The link John A. gave might be of some use so when I get the time I'll check that place out and see if they have the speakers I mentioned. I cant wait till I get my setup so I can tell you how good it is and what I think to it :P

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 481
Jelvis, Paul never got an allowance that is why he has to buy at garage sales and ended up with Cerwin Veggies! When you don't see farther than the end of your nose, life is rather short!

You were wrong with your statistics concerning the number of crappy posts........it is 2297 to 1 after "my name is Paul.....I own CV speakers and they are better than anything you can buy"!

Looking forward to finding out what you buy and how you like it. Let us know.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1601
"Should I be a father at 12 and therefore become an adult whereby recieve respect from sir Paul."

The question would be; If you became a father at age 12 would you support yourself and the child or live on welfare? The answer to that may say more about you than your age or lodging status.

I know a whole bunch of adults who behave like children (many of them on my caseload), conversely I know a number of young people who have behave with the courage that we tend to attribute only to "adults" (again many on my caseload). I for one will not begin to make that judgement about someone I don't know.

Rock on Jelvis!

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 476
"Thread: General advise needed on choosing speakers"

Buy ones that you've heard and think sound good. Who cares what others think.

Silver Member

Post Number: 910
Danmans right though Art, how you conduct yourself gives a image of how people will preceive you,I know I certainly wouldnt have known his age had he not said it,as opposed to someone like BG,Matt,and Gavin,I could tell they were young right off the ripp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us