How to bi-amp a NAD T753?

Username: Zuiko

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

As a relative newcomer to AVRs I've been unable to figure out how to use the 'zone' or speaker B capability of my T 753 to bi-amp my speakers.

My speakers are bi-wirable and indeed are biwired.

What I need is a step by step - as if explaining to a 7 year old - on what to acquire and what to connect in order to achieve a bi-amped connection.

What settings to use on the receiver would also be appreciated. I know its a big ask but with many NAD experts here I'm sure someone can explain how to achieve this if its possible.

Thank you anticipating help on this!
Ben

Silver Member
Username: Diablo

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 233
Hi Ben,

I have a T753 and wondered about doing the same thing when I first bought it.

Unortunately, there is a problem with the plan. The T753 has 6 amplifiers built in.
For 5.1 surround, it uses 5 of them. The remaining amp is available for rear speaker(s) when 7.1 is selected.
If you connect speakers to the "B" outputs and select the B option then the main listening area is downmixed to stereo and two of the other channels are used for the B speakers.
Therefore, it is possible to bi-amp if you were to connect, for example, the bass inputs of your main speakers to the B outputs. However, if you then switch off the B option and try to use 5.1 surround then only the treble inputs of the mains will be connected. Which is bad news.
Comprendez?

The T763 may be more flexible, as this has 7 channels of amplification.

If you have a spare, decent quality, stereo amp, then it all becomes much simpler.

There are some connections on the rear of the T753 which are bridged by black connectors, the front to surround left as indicated as '14' on this diagram -

You will need to get some RCA/phono splitter leads from somewhere, hi-fi shops may not have them, you may need to go to Radio Shack or similar. Remove the top two plastic connectors for front L and front R. Insert the single end of each of the RCA/phono lead into the right-hand socket, Connect one of the reamining leads into the left hand socket, and the other into the 'aux in' sockets on the stereo amps.
After swapping the speaker bi-wires appropriately, you should now have bi-amped front speakers.

Probably not worth the effort unless you need more volume.

To improve the sound quality significantl;y, you will need to put an active crossover between the 'pre-outs' on the NAD and the power amps which they are connected to - and also modify your main speakers to disable the passive crossovers in those.

Regards,
diablo

Silver Member
Username: Diablo

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 234
Correction. The T763 only has 6 channels, not 7 as I falsely remembered. The 773 does have 7 channels, but may still be unworkable for stand-alone bi-amping, if the guidelines in the manual are correct.

Jebus, it's a harsh life. You need to sell your soul to get what you want!

diablo :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us