Pioneer Elite DV-59 universal player

KenP
Unregistered guest
While in europe, I was able to get a good deal on a pioneer dv-868AVi (aka Elite DV-59) universal player for U$600.00. I was so impressed with the output quality of the player both for movies and SACD/DVD-A. It was like I upgraded all my components and speakers.

Talking with a local dealer, he mentioned that I could even get a much improved, cleaner, detailed sound from what I am getting now by using also a pioneer elite receiver with i-link digital to digital interface. This has got me thinking about upgrading my system. Currently I have a Yamaha DSP A1 as a pre-amp connected to 3 Rotel 990 BX with speakers B&W 703 for main, 705 for the rear, HTM7 for center, and ASW750 for the sub.

I thought that when I wanted to upgrade, I was thinking of going separates(keep my current rotel amps) but it seems that only a few offer this feature at the moment, including high end receivers and processors. IIRC, aside from Pioneer Elite, only Sony ES offers digital to digital interface between their receivers and players.

I want to ask the opinion of the enthusiast here about the availability of such a feature from other brands.

Because of my experience with the pioneer player, i am now getting the "upgrade itch". Any suggestions.

Bronze Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 89
Denon offers a proprietary digital interface they call iLink. It's available only on their high-end receivers and dvd players and works only with Denon product.

There are a number of dvd players and HDTVs now that offer a DVI/HDMI connection, which is a generic digital interface. However, it's been slower to find it on receivers. It looks as if this feature will become more prevalent in new receivers launched later in the year.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 388
Two Cents--

Probably the people that are most dreading the inclusion of HDMI and 2-way firewire on all DVD/cd players, HDTV's, A/V preamps, HDTV receivers, etc. are wire and cable manufacturers/suppliers and the retailers. Just think how many interconnect sales will be lost by having an HDMI connection capable of handling all the component video signals and simultaneously handling up to 8 audio channels?

This must be a nightmare scenario for Kimber Kable, MIT, Monster Cable, etc. Not to mention the distress of retailers that heavily depend on the enormous profit margins on the interconnects.

Just think, one HDMI interconnect from your DVD/cd/DVD-A/SACD player to your receiver or preamp and one HDMI cable from your receiver or preamp to your HDTV.

Of course you can also circumvent the switching of the receiver or preamp and directly connect the DVD player with DVI/HDMI to the HDTV and a firewire or HDMI from the DVD player to the receiver/preamp for up to 8 audio channels with up to 800 mhz bandwidth.

There are actually a number of variations---but they all will require far fewer interconnects. Just think, better performance without a mess of wires!!!

Imagine if someone perfects RF, IR, or other wireless transmission to firewire or HDMI specs. Sadly, I think that day is a bit distant.

Imagine there's no........apologies to John Lennon :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 70
your right on the money there greg i use to work
for a retailer and the markup on accesseries and
cables is generally over 400%

Bronze Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 93
Kegger just confirmed my suspicion about "audiophile" cables being a gravy train for manufacturers and dealers.

Greg, I see your point although DVI/HDMI cables can be pretty expensive themselves. The folks that will benefit from this new type of connection appear to be the music and movie industry who will get the copying protection of DVI/HDMI. This business lobby is probably more powerful than the cable and wire lobby. Otherwise we may have had multiple cables connecting a/v equipment for a long time. By some freak coincidence, the consumer may experience a net benefit. Call me a little cynical.

Charlie F.
Unregistered guest
In regard to a message about HDMI being a nightmare for Monster, If you check their home web site, you will find that they are bragging about being a major partner, along with another company, for starting and pushing HDMI.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 433
Charlie--

I didn't say that Monster Cable would veer away from the cable business. If HDMI cables will be sold, they will be there to steer you to their HDMI cables. Monster Cable is far from dumb. If people are going to be buying any audio/video connections, they want you to buy theirs.

HDMI are a "fait accompli". Within 2 years almost all new HDTV's and DVD players will have them. I am sure Monster saw the handwriting on the wall--and not wanting to be late to the party, have arrived before most of the other boutique brands, to solidify their position and hopefully garner larger market share.

After Silicon Image basically created HDMI and its specification (with Intel supplying the HDCP encryption), many of the major consumer electronics manufacturers worked with founding the interface and adding their two cents (probably to effect the way it turned out and make sure the copy protection was acceptable): Sony, Thomson (also RCA), Matsushita (Panasonic), Philips, Hitachi, and Toshiba were in the founding committee.

Those that were early adoptters of the format (but had nothing to do with the founding) are: Hughes, AR Cambridge, LG Electronics, Analog Devices, ATI Designs (big OEM amplifier and preamp manufacturer), Mediatek (DVD player OEM), Jalco (wires and cables), Meridian, Monster Cable, Motorola, Onkyo, Pioneer, Samsung, Sanyo, Seiko Epson, Scientific Atlanta, TIVO, Echostar (Dish), TDK, Yamaha, Zoran (chips), and many others.

The adopters were wise enough to get on board fairly quickly, as they knew that the giants like Sony, Matsushita, Thomson, Philips, Toshiba, and Hitachi would be having these connections on many of their products in the near future.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us