$250 to spend, help me out

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 312
im getting a 12" Dayton sub probably since im on a tight budget and it seems to be a good sub for the money. now i need a receiver. im setting aside about $200 aside for speakers. so in order to keep under my 550 limit i need to find a receiver for around $250. i have been recommended the panasonic sa-xr55 and audioholics recommends a $300 pioneer one, i wouldnt want to spend any more than that thought. what are your thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2174
Stay away from Panny......

They are virtually invisible in the HiFi arena for a reason, and that's because they're not very good at it. Just about everything they make is a 'follower'. Are they on the leading edge of anything???????
The answer is no.....

Go audition some receivers in person, and learn about their features, and pick the one you like the best. If you're looking into entry level receivers, look no further than Pioneer or Yammi.

Eddie has never touched the Panny with his own hands, nor heard the panny with his own ears, and is only recommending it because he is a 'sucker' and believed a glowing review that he read on the internet. He believes anything he is told.

Panny has never been a 'player', and will always specialize in and target the "K-mart" tier of shopper.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1736
> He believes anything he is told.

Geez Paul, this Eddie guy sounds like a true-blue Republican! ROTFLMAO...

Actually I will be receiving the Panny xr55 tomorrow, will review it during the course of Amazon's 30 day return period. At worse I'll be out $15 return shipping, worth it to satisfy my curiosity.

Stay tuned for the full review! I recently also got the Onkyo 552 all-digital receiver so it may be a 4-way comparison: Panny, Onkyo, Marantz, and NAD. One local audiophile has already agreed to be a subject in a blindfold test, I'm hoping to lasso in some more.

Will be very interesting...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2181
Im sure it will be NADs equal........LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1740
well if the Panny proves to be the NAD's equal that means that it can also run circles around your tacky little Yamaha, for a fraction of the price! LOL

Annon Truth
Unregistered guest
"Panny has never been a 'player', and will always specialize in and target the "K-mart" tier of shopper."

Wow you slam Panasoic and their low-tier target and your main and center speakers are CERWIN VEGA and your system includes Yamaha and Sony.

Pot, meet the kettle.

Annon Truth
Unregistered guest
"Panny has never been a 'player', and will always specialize in and target the "K-mart" tier of shopper."

Wow you slam Panasonic and their low-tier target and your main and center speakers are CERWIN VEGA! HAAHA! And your system includes Yamaha and Sony.

Pot, meet the kettle.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2185
I hope you enjoy you 20lb lightweight K-mart special.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1749
Annon T,

besides being hypocritical, Paul's simply narcissistic---likes to pat himself on the back for his purchases while putting down other people's purchases. Almost ever single post of his is an act of self-aggrandizement and self-congratulation...a more concise term is EGO MASTURBA TION.

Most psychologists will tell you that the foundation of the narcissistic personality is usually an abysmal lack of self-esteem.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 816
Acutually,Panny is Techniques Panny bought them about 12 years ago,Techniques was amajor player in audio in the 70s and 80s and they had first THX commercial receiver in the mid 90s.Techniques is behind the design of the Panny receiver,in fact they just started putting Panny emblems on the faceplates in the last 3 years,so dont think that Panny is a joke.Techniques was the Originals who pushed dvd audio and they had the first dvd audio player,so Paul before you start bashing learn the history of the company,Technique is one of originals from 50s and 60s&70s who were highly respected for their Amps and Turntables this legacey extended all the way to the digital era of the 90s and to right this moment under a Panny badge, they were bought by Panny,but even before then Technique always handled Pannys audio needs.Paul learn your audio history pefore you start criticising audio components,Your constant bashing of Nad is just rediculous,they invented the first Intergrated amp,and have the title of the budget 2 channel leader for a good reason,you need to look up the history the Legendary Nad 320 and maybe you will learn something instead of flapping your gums without knowing what the hell you talking about.Even Yamaha has a long standing pedigree,it all started with 2 channel Paul,so learn something for a change and quit giving the newbies false imformation.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1752
> I hope you enjoy you 20lb lightweight K-mart special.

judging by Paul's fixation on weight, I'll bet his wife must tip the scales at what, 200lbs? 300lbs?

Paul: "Dat dere's a REAL woman fo me, a REAL man's man, not one of these wimpy girlymen with their wimpy skinny women!"

ROTFL, ROTFL again and again!

Thanks Paul, you keep me howling almost every time...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2187
Tawaun,
Before you claim to be the Technics expert, you might make sure you know how to spell the name first at the risk of looking stupid. Im well aware of Technics and what they had to offer. In fact, I was way ahead of the learning curve and owned a Technics CD player back in 1984 when they were still a novelty item, and very few owned them. I was the first person I knew who had one, and they had decent receivers and turntables.

As for their receivers and speakers??
They were Gawd awful....

You're probably too young to have known, so I dont hold you liable for your ignorance. What's next?? Are you going to claim to be the Piyuneer receiver expert too??

Gold Member

Post Number: 2188
yea...

Im sure eddie already knows that a receiver built of cheap components and power supply translates into a lightweight cheap receiver, but he couldnt resist anyway.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1756
Paul your ignorance, as always, is simply breathtaking.

The Panasonic is an ALL-DIGITAL receiver, which is why it's much much lighter than ANALOG receivers.

You're so thick I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't even know that these are two completely different types of receivers did you? Apples and oranges, just like a plasma TV versus a RPTV.

(And FYI it weighs 12 not 20lbs.)

Vintage Paul: always foaming at the mouth before reading up on what the hell he's blabbering about... LOL.

Why don't you try to read up for a change before you embarass yourself yet again, Paul.

Silver Member

Post Number: 825
Paul I can mispell all the words I want and never look as ignorant as you,and actually at 11 years old in 1985 I ownwed a a whole Technics (is that better for you?) whole system actually the speakers that came with it sounded better than my friends D7 CVs,so I wouldnt talk if I was you.And im not talking about 1985 when I mentioned their Amps,not receivers and they were good to,60s and the 70s,see thats just proof if you are as old as you say you are and if you were into audio you would have known that,it just goes a step farther proving your ignorance about audio on any time frame.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2194
12lb??

HEH...I bet that power source is the mutha-load. Do the D-cell batteries come included?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1758
sounds more like it's YOUR BRAIN that could use some new D-cell batteries Paul...

LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1759
...assuming that it's not just empty space you have between your ears, as your endlessly embarassing posts would suggest!

ROTFL

Silver Member

Post Number: 830
Its just like a horrible Bob Dylan record the same ear piercing screaming over and over again

Gold Member

Post Number: 1764
Tawaun I'm a Dylan fan but what you wrote is funny as hell anyways, LOL!

Har Har
Unregistered guest
Back somewhat on subject . . .

Q: Why has nobody mentioned H/K?

A: Everyone's too busy being a flamer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1769
okay: H/K.

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 317
ya enough b!chin your fillin up my email inbox with useless sh!t.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2200
I suggest a formerly broken down heap....refurbed HK that comes with a 1 year warranty:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 841
Eddie I think Paul is talking to you.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1771
No he's not Tawaun, he's talking to the deepest darkest and stinkiest reaches of his rrectal passageway, which is where his head is usually lodged.

LOL

Anonymous

i agree with db-b, you guys chill out, you are keeping him from asking more and more dumbasss questions

Bronze Member
Username: Black05hemi

So Cal

Post Number: 12
H/K's come with 2-year warranties...I bought an AVR-230 off eBay, love it...

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 618
My AVR-430 came with a 5 year warranty, doubt I'll need it though, it's a great unit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us