New stereo

Username: Kidstereo

Post Number: 1
Hey, guys. I am having a little bit of a dilemma here. I was thinking of buying a new stereo a year from now. The dilemma is, I cannot decide whazt type of speakers to get. I was originally planning on going with towers, but the size of my room dictates that tower speakers might overpower the room. My room size is 8 ft. x 12 ft. I also like a lot of bass. Therefore, given my room size and hunger for bass, should I go with towers or bookshelf speakers? If you say to go with bookshelf speakers, should I pair them with a subwoofer, again, given my room size and hunger for bass?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3648
Depends on your budget:-)
However, if you are as bass hungry as you say you are and the room size, you may want to get a pair of towers and a nice subwoofer. boom boom all around!

Then you can also get a pair of towers with really huge woofers and drive them with a decent stereo and you'll be set.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 452
Worry about moving out of your parents basement first...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3662
Stu,
You think this is the same guy?

What happened to the other Matt123 who lives with his parents?

Did you delete your account and re-register?

Post Number: 2
Yes, I did delete my account and re-register.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3669
why is that?
Anyway, what have you decided?

Post Number: 5
I am still trying to do some more research. I have not made up my mind on what to buy just yet. There were a few pairs of speakers that I was considering, the first of them being those KLH's that Eric Pisanko has, or the Cerwin Vega CLSC-215's with dual 15" woofers, or maybe the Sony SS-MF750H's. I did hear that the Cerwin Vegas have lots of bass, but I need to know how harsh their treble is.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 469
Matt,

Look, go listen to some speakers first. Listen to some decent bookshelves with and without a sub in your price range. Do the same thing with some floorstanders and get a feel for what kind of sound you like.

Come back and report on what you listened to and what you liked. (Yes, this is your homework assignment.) Then, we'll have an idea what appeals to you and we can give you some ideas of other speakers that may have similar sound that are in your budget. Or, you may just find your "dream sound" and buy it.

(You don't say where you live, but there must be a BB or CC or something around.) Listen to the Athenas, listen to some basic JBLs or CVs and listen to something that's 2-3 times your price range and see whether you like the sound of a "different/better" speaker. You may find that your ear is more mature than you think and you might not find that real "banger" bass is your preferred sound. Have some fun learning, it's good for you. Dave

Post Number: 8
I cannot listen to the CVs or KLH's, because I have looked all over Best Buy and Circuit City, and those stores do not carry them. Best Buy only has the KLH speakers available online, while CC does not sell them at all. I have listened to the JBLs, and they sound awful to me. They sound harsh at high volumes, and they are too expensive for me. I am unable to listen to the CVs because the only dealer closest to me that sells them is like 200-300 miles away from where I live.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Any suggestions?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3948
We've done all we can.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1845
Matt, go to av123.com and look at their speakers, order some and be prepared to pay return shipping if you don't like them. I haven't heard them but they are known for putting out very respectable bass.

If you life in bufu nowhere and can't go listen in-store for yourself, Internet-direct and donating to UPS is about all you can do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1846
Also in a small room like yours, the alegria audio lings should pack some potent bass, they go for $350 a pair and like the Rockets have a trial period.

http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Ling.htm

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1052
"I was thinking of buying a new stereo a year from now." It is difficult to give prophylactic advice especially given the rapidly changing electronics market. Wait until you get closer to purchase, Hoppergrass.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 500
"Any suggestions?"

Allow me to repeat myself -

"Worry about moving out of your parents basement first..."

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 959
Hey Eddie since he is so fond of CVs like Danman says their is always the garage sales.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1860
true, TW. Funny, I don't mind buying from eBay but garage sales spook me for some reason.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 965
It spooks me to,because it tells you I dont want this trash you take it,I cant be the recipiant on that end,although the speakers Matt is talking about are just new garage stuff that knowones put in a garage sell yet,but will find their way there soon.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 508
I like that one Tawaun. Probably one of the best posts I've seen in a while.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us