Post Number: 1
Hello all: Bear with me, I don't know much about a/v. Here's the issue:

I have two pairs of Klipsch in-wall 250 speakers --
Bandwidth 40hz to 20kHz +/- 3 dB
Sensitivity: 93 dB SPL @ 1 meter/watt
Nomininal Impedence: 8 Ohms
Min. Amp Power 10 watts/channel
Crossover freq. 2200 Hz
-- that I have been powering with a 16 year old NAD 7240PE with both 4 Ohm and 8 Ohm impedence settings (set on 8 Ohms).

The NAD's power rating is 120V, 60Hz, 240VA--apparently it's rated at 40 watts per channel, but I can't find that info in the manual, only online.

Speakers are connected with high guage cables with short runs (both sets of speakers are on either side of the same wall), but the NAD cycles off the right channel after about 10 min. of playing at fairly low volume--even using just one set of the speakers. If I turn both on, I lose the r. channel faster. This problem has gotten worse in the last 6 months.

I don't want to upgrade the receiver if at all possible--it's in mint condition other than this issue, but maybe it's not powerful enough for these speakers?

If I do need to upgrade, I want to keep the price low, say uner $300, but would consider used. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff Hammond
Boulder, CO

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 280
It sounds like it needs repair which may cost you more than the $300. As for a replacement, if you were happy with NAD then stick with it. There are models in that price range.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1727
Sounds like it's time to take your NAD to a shop for service, should cost well under $100. After 16 years it probably just has something loose or burned out inside, those are not at all demanding speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1728
If you replace it the NAD 320bee should make you happy, MSRP $400 but you can get it for less with a little haggling.

Username: Hayhamm

Post Number: 2
Hey All: Thank you so much for your kind advice. I'm probably going to replace the receiver.

Post Number: 3
P.S. Do any of you have an opinion about the NAD L53, which includes a CD/DVD player in a single unit with the amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1745
Conventional wisdom is that the more things are crammed together into one little box, the more sound quality ends up being sacrificed.

It's kind of like those allegedly all-purpose "cross-training" shoes---they mostly suck at everything. A runner would be much better off buying running shoes, a basketball player buying basketball shoes, etc.

I've never heard the L53 but would be curious, just because it's a NAD...who knows, maybe they've found a way to defy that conventional wisdom.

Do you already have a CD player? If so what is it? Or are you just looking to add a DVD player?

Post Number: 4
Hey Edster, thanks for your thoughts. I have a 5-disc Pioneer CD/DVD player (about 6 yrs. old) that is very temperamental--I won't go into the details. And I have an El Cheapo (I think that may actually be the brandname--lol) DVD/VCR combo, that I have been using. I'll probably wind up replacing both those with a DVD recorder.

Another (naive) question: Although the inputs on the back of the receiver are labeled CD, Phono, Tape, etc. is there any problem, for instance, in feeding the streaming laptop music into the CD inputs? I ask because in reading reviews about the NAD 320bee, one of the only complaints about the component was that there was no phono input and I wondered if there is a problem in hooking a phono into the tape inputs?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1751
An analog input is an analog input, so I can't imagine you having any problems using one of the inputs for laptop music...of course MP3 is not going to give you the same SQ as normal CD but you probably know that already.

I have no idea about phono hookup, haven't touched a turntable in almost 20 years, lol.

If you value good musical sound quality you may want to get a dedicated CD player on top of the DVD recorder. I recently did some ABX listening between some $300-500 CDPs and was surprised at how much I liked the Marantz cc-4300, possibly
over the highly touted NAD c542. You can buy that Marantz refurbed with 1-year Marantz warranty from accessories4less.com for $142 shipped, mine's due to arrive tomorrow.

Combining those 2 components with the 320bee is bound to give you better results than the L53 would be my strong guess.

Post Number: 5
Yer a pal, Edster.

Thanks for all the sage advice.

Jeff

Gold Member

Post Number: 1753
No problem, I love vicarious audio shopping, lol

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2198
You should feel fortunate that the NAD even lasted 16 years. Many barely survive their warranty period.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1763
Yes Paul, we all know that some NAD multichannel AVRs had some service issues a few years ago.

Jeff's 7240 is a TWO CHANNEL INTEGRATED AMP, as is the 320bee that he's considering.

Paul do you ever take your head out of your @ss?

Man, it must be smelly in there...lol

Username: Darth

Post Number: 6
Edster,

ROTFLMAO !

Username: Steelhrd

I'm sorry but Paul makes a valid point NAD is not known for their quality. And i find their sound to be murky personally. I guess i prefer bright and clear

Gold Member

Post Number: 2201
I classify NAD sound as warm, dull, and boring.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 840
And how do you classify Yammies sound Paul?

Anonymous

Look Paul, you finally found a fan around here! awwwwwww

Silver Member

Post Number: 844
Paul I'll answer that question for you,bright,shrill,and thin.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2205
ahh....Little Red Ridinghood said this porridge is too hot.

And this porridge is too cold........

Ohhh........but this Yamaha2500 porridge is just right!!!

Anonymous

Fairy tales and Paul are a perfect match, no?

Silver Member
Username: Diablo

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 225
I think Paul is quite correct. Yamahas tend to sound like porridge. Moderately good porridge, though. :-)
NAD tend to be neutral, but the actual sound you hear depends on the speakers and the balance from the source, of course.

It is possible that one of the capacitors in a 16 year old NAD 7240PE might have gone duff. They don't have an infinite life.
But unless you know a really reliable repairer, it may be time to replace it. I agree with Ed about the NAD 320bee. But there seems to be little wrong with the NAD L53.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1775
> But there seems to be little wrong with the NAD L53.

Interesting!

I'd definitely recommend it to someone looking at a Bose 3-2-1, that's for sure.

Silver Member

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 226
Hey, the NAD L53 may not be the best hi-fi in the world, but it sounds very good and does lots of things very well at a reasonable price.
How dare you compare it to Bose? Have you ever heard it? Put "L53 review" into Google and see if you find anything uncomplimentary. HK is a much nearer product to Bose!

Silver Member

Post Number: 861
No No No, I dont HK is much closer to Bose,Bose is in a class by itself and not a good one either.

Silver Member

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 227
I said 'nearer' - that doesn't actually imply 'near'!
NAD and HK are both vastly superior to Bose, obviously, I was just annoyed by Ed's comparison!

Anonymous

denon 295 or 395 are two of the best receivers ever made!!!!!even better than nad and definitely better than HK IMO.

Username: Atheras

Post Number: 1
hello
i have a pansat 2500A and i need the numbers for cyfra or any key number for hotbird satellite
any europeans who may know?
please help!

Username: Atheras

Post Number: 2
Does anyone know what website i need to go to in order to find the key numbers?

Anonymous

trust me^ get denon 295 2 ch receiver better than anything else for 2 ch listening.Don't get nad L53-overpriced,underpowered etc.Even with a bose system i think the L53 would be underpowering(only good for very low listening.I think Nad 320bbe is probably good but denon 295 is $200 cheaper,includes radio,and may actually sound better(although i will admit NAD 320bbe probably has slightly more reserve power if you really like to turn it really loud,but I think denon will go as loud as anything else including 2 ch HK receiver)

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3702
Jimmy Megremis
Start your own thread and DO NOT HIJACK this one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1777
LOL diablo, I just meant that the L53 is a better choice than the Bose if someone's looking for a tiny easy to use single box system.

The L53 and the Bose 3-2-1 are the same CATEGORY ("all in one box"), which does not imply they're of the same quality any more than a Ford 4 door sedan is of the same quality as a Lexus 4 door sedan.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2210
I think NAD would be the perfect choice for powering a petite Bose speaker setup. If you're going to own crappy Bose speakers, you might as well power them with an equally lousy Amp.

Anonymous

HARK! Paul our resident genius has spoken...

But seriously...

"Anonymous" above recommended the Denon DSR-295 and 395. Any thoughts on those? They are $100-$200 cheaper than either of the NADs.

Or is "Anonymous" a Denon employee?

Anonymous

Or is "Anonymous" a Denon employee?

dangit but you sure are a sharp one, Jeff!

Post Number: 7
Man i hate when your right paul

Anonymous

you mean once in a blue moon? lol

Post Number: 8
I have been trying to find a negative review of the 2500 and its sound alas no such luck. Sadly the nearest place i could hear nad was 120 miles from me. i had to wait until i had business in columbia mo. but i finally heard one and was expecting to be so overwhelmed that i would put the yammy on ebay and buy the nad immediately. My response was more in line with you have got to be kidding. the sansui reciever i had as a young miltary man better

Gold Member

Post Number: 2240
That's because negative reviews dont exist, and it's arguably the best $1,000 AVR on the market:-)

The boutique shoppers will argue otherwise, but what do they know because most of them dont even own real speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 868
So your CVs are real speakers?So they are better than all of ours?What makes you think they are?And I wanna see 3 reasons Why.

Post Number: 9
I have a boston acoutiscs setup myself vr975s and a vr12 center plus other rears that i am going to replace soon. The yammy does not push the BA's as much as i would want but i am not touting it as perfect just very good.

p.s.
To be one ask one

Gold Member

Post Number: 3724
I'm asking.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Ask one in your local area that you know personally.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3729
I can't tell except by the badges on their vehicles and sometimes I am not really sure if they are or they got the car with the badge or they just like the look of the badges without really assigning meaning to it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Just ask them. And tell them you are interested.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us