5.1, 6.1, 7.1 ???

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 308
im trying to find a receiver in the $250 or less range and keep running into the numbers above. these just tell how many speaker inputs there are right? if im going for a typical surround sound, then 5.1 should be enough right. 5 speakers plus a seperate powered sub should do it right? also do these receivers need to have any sub input or output? thanks

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1718
Most people who have surround sound have 5.1 due to room and WAF limitations, especially if they have their couch up against a wall.

Also consider that 95% of Dolby movie soundtracks are recorded for 5.1 --- sure if your receiver has Dolby IIx it can "simulate" an extra 1-2 channels but is it really worth it?

This is kind of like computers these days being hyped up as having 3.0GHz speeds, which in most real life applications run at nearly identical speed with 800Hz Pentium IIIs from 5 years ago.

Good to have a strong BS-detector when dabbling in audio, or it's very easy to get ensnared in 1001 sales gimmicks/lies.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1719
I often get the feeling that this whole "surround sound" hype machine is just a boondoggle for speaker companies to increase their sales.

Aside from people who exclusively watch a lot of big-budget Hollywood action flicks, who really needs it?

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1213
db-bass

Damn I'm way too tired to talk about this now, and haven't we already talked about the issues surrounding this topic on one of your other threads, I'll sooner say use the internet to proved yourself with more information on this, or better still go to a cinema and ask to speak to a projectionist about this mater of Dolby dts SDDS 8 THX sound systems and the rest....

But seeing I'm a former projectionist, that can only tell you but cant show you, as your over there and I'm over hear, but that doest stop me into providing you with pros and cons.....

Ashley

Gold Member

Post Number: 1214
db-bass,

Also there is no true 7.1 that exists in the home cinema that is only for Sony's SDDS 8 which is a true 7.1 sound system with five full spectrum channels placed behind the screen, with LFE subwoofer channel placed below the stage channels.

And with the last remanding tracks for stereo surrounds, or as we say in the industry (split-surrounds) with full spectrum sound, as I was told when I first started out around 16 years ago "in this industry you have to think like a projectionist" takes a lot more that fancy interior decoration at home to show of your home cinema....

Ashley

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 309
alright but does the receiver that i look for need to have any certain inputs or outputs, or just enought for a few speakers? does it need a subwoofer input?

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2158
db,
What is enough?? Would you rather listen to movies in 5.1 or 7.1???

Nevermind the girlymen WAF propogators like Eddie, because they buy whatever the 'boss' allows.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1721
heh Paul, you never stop overcompensating...you must be hung like a chipmunk aren't you? LOL!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1722
db,

Any surround receiver will have a subwoofer output, and will have connections for 5 to 7 channels.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1251
Upload

Arr, that's sweet, can you have one as a pet.....

Silver Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 123
db;

I have experimented with this somewhat to see how I like having 6.1 / 7.1 over 5.1

For *some* movies, having the extra back speaker seems to make the sound more seamless as it moves across the back.

For other movies, particularly for the DD EX, the matrixing becomes noticable and takes away from the movie experience. Just my personal experience - 5.1 is fine for most movies, especially since they are on the disk in that format, and the other channels add little to a *properly* set up 5.1 system.

Additionally, For the price of the receiver you are looking at you have to ask yourself if the receiver has an adequate enough power supply to run those two extra channels. You might be better off with the 5.1.

In any case, happy hunting and good luck

Gold Member

Post Number: 1750
> Additionally, For the price of the receiver you are looking at you have to ask yourself if the receiver has an adequate enough power supply to run those two extra channels.

EXCELLENT point!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2258
If you're concerned about adequate power, stay away from the cheap <$1000 lightweights. Any receiver in the $1000 price range will have more than adequate power for your HT.

Shan,
You're never better off with 5.1. Give me a break. Stop making excuses for yourself for not having it.

Dougthehead
Unregistered guest
I am looking for a 6.1 receiver in the $200-400 range. What is the best one in this price range?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2158
95% of today's DVDs are still 5.1 so why pay for an extra 2 speakers? "Simulated" 6 or 7 channel is crap anyways, just a boondoggle for speaker companies...get the best 3.1 setup you can afford, then add cheap 2 surrounds and be done with it. The sub and the center channel do most of the work, closely followed by the front mains L/R and then the last 10% is the surrounds...mostly just ambient noises, whizzing by bullets and traffic, etc. If you're a gadget geek you'll dig that, if you actually care about sound quality then concentrate on the front 3 and sub.

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1136
OK. The facts. Most current DVDs are mastered in 5.1. So is virtually all HD programming. Now on some material, the extra surrounds add ambience but generally not so much for one to consistently conclude that the added benefit is just extraordinary. If you can afford a quality 6.1 or 7.1 go for it. It will still play 5.1 But don't do it on the cheap. Better off with a quality 5.1 than a cheap 6.1 or 7.1

The MOFO has spoken.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2532
Running 7.1 makes a huge difference in filling-in the soundfield. Plus, there are, in fact, many sounds that come decretely from the backs in 7.1 mode even if the DVD is only 5.1 surround, and that's the whole point of the high tech 7.1 receiver technology. You'll often hear sounds going from back to front, and vice versa. During action sequences, it will go a long way to bringing the scene to life.

I do agree that if you mostly watch zero budget sundance flicks like eddie, having a nice surround sound setup is largely defeated because of their vanilla soundtracks not having any sound effects. With those movies, all you really need is to use a center channel or your TV speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 523
Paul,

You are in rare form today. I'm not even sure I want to jump into this one.

But, d-b, i've got 5.1 and it's plenty. Paul is correct that you'll miss a small part of the action without 7.1 but if you're rear speakers are really inexpensive, what's the point.

Take Edster's advice and start building a really decent 3.1 system and go from there until you can afford to buy Paul's "refrigerator" SVS sub.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2162
don't think Paul would really need his behemoth SVS if his Cerwin Vegas weren't so sucky, he'd be perfectly ok with a smaller sub like a PB10 but I guess he needs that 140lbs of subwoofer to drown out those bad pinko speakers of his. LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1149
Dakulis, perhaps you misunderstood Paul. He said,"Running 7.1 makes a huge difference in filling-in the soundfield." I'm not sure how from that you concluded that, "Paul is correct that you'll miss a small part of the action without 7.1." Don't patronize. Take a position, man.

The MOFO has spoken.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 586
Funny how the only person Dale sees eye to eye with is Paul.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1160
I don't do names. Stu, look at the following posts and read carefully if you can:"Now on some material, the extra surrounds add ambience but generally not so much for one to consistently conclude that the added benefit is just extraordinary." Dale M. Wiley

"Running 7.1 makes a huge difference in filling-in the soundfield." Paul

Need I say more about your lunacy?

The MOFO has spoken.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us