Speaker recommendations

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 305
first of all im piecing together a system, one for both music and movies. im thinking about spending around $200 for speakers. what brands should i look at and do you recommend going with like two bigger bookshelf speakers or 5 small surround sound ones?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3627
For that budget I highly recommend these.

http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html

I've given it as gifts for some nephews and friends. They are ecstatic about them, and my nephews are college age and always bugging me about my audio equipment. One of the better budget speakers that I have encountered, an excellent value.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 300
well if you're going to do home theater... surround speakers really enhance the experience. $200 is really cheap for 5 speakers... you'll get fair speakers at best for that little. i'd say buy a better pair of $200 speakers and then buy another $200 pair for surrounds when you can afford it.

you don't have to get all of the gear at once. build your system piece by piece as you can afford it. add surrounds later... add a subwoofer down the road and so on.

at the $200 level, PSB and axiom are two of the best values in speakers, but many other brands make decent speakers for the price.

i love my discontinued NHT superzeros ($250 1st pair, $188 2nd pair... but definately need subs)

i'd say buy the best gear you can afford. if you only have $200, then get 2 quality speakers now instead of 5 so-so speakers and then get a second pair when you can afford it.

you might spend more, but you'll definately get more long term satisfaction. it's really more expensive to buy something cheap... get tired of it and THEN upgrade later than to just stretch your budget to begin with.

there are some killer speakers available in the $200-$400 range where competition for "entry level/beginner" systems is most fierce. $20,000+ speaker makers aren't worried about selling a million units. LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 340
ya ive recently agreed on just getting a receiver now and probably two good speakers..just enough to get me buy until i save up more. what do you think about the fluance sx-htb system. they look great and the towers look $400 themselves. ive heard good things about the system.
I REALLY NEED a suggestion about if you think it would sound better having say 4 Athena AS-B1 + a center OR the fluance above. i think ill spend about the same either way. i have no way of testing these so im going buy expert suggestions.

Bronze Member
Username: Dodgedifferent2

Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 64
just to pipe into the conversation. From fluance. The price is awesome the look is awesome (i have the sx-htb)people cant guess the price. the performance is actually up there. I cant compare to alot of higher end speakers, but you will probably be impressed by their speakers

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 901
For that kind of money deffinetly 2 decent bookshelfs,check out the Infinity Primus 150 its a absolute stunner for the price.This is best sounding and built speaker I have ever heard or seen for the price.Go to Circuit City if you are in the states you should be able to get yourself a pair for about $180 a pr.maybe even cheaper than that,so good luck!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3827
Oh no you didn't, Tawaun! You just gave him more options, now he's going to take even longer to make up his mind!

Hey db-bass, how long have you been agonizing about your set up and gear? have you made up your mind yet? :-)

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 902
So,Berny DB has been driving you crazy like that Timothy guy did,has he been making it harder than he should have huhh?

Silver Member

Post Number: 344
i actually havent been on for awhile. one of you guys replied to an old thread so it looks like im on again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3833
ROTFLMAO!!!
:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3834
It's alright DB, I was just giving you a hard time.:-)

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 311
you don't REALLY need a center channel if you have speakers that image well enough. i own a center channel, and don't even use it... mainly because my mains are about 2 feet ahead of my TV for better music imaging and powering my center channel actually sounds worse because it's so far from time alignment.

if your main speakers image well enough, they'll make their own "phantom center channel". center channels definately can help dialogue if you make sure to position all of your speakers properly, but they're one of your lowest priorities.

i might turn mine back on if i ever get a widescreen.

if you want to budget $400 on your mains, i'd suggest getting smaller epos ELS-3s (class c rated) which sell for $330 a pair and beat class D speakers 3 times their price out for sound quality.

minimonitors are THE BEST value in audio.

their smaller cabinets are more solid and resonate less

smaller front baffles = better imaging

and

cabinets are the biggest factor in price, so you get the "same grade" drivers in cheaper boxes.

then, down the road, you could get a sub to compensate for the bass roloff of the smaller speakers.

ANOTHER nice benefit of sub/sat systems is that you have alot more control over your bass to properly tune your system to your specific room.

speakers too big for a room can sound "boomy"

personally, i LOVE my $188 (last pair bought, discontinued) NHT superzeros which image better and sound less boomy than $1000 B&Ws which DO have awesome treble speed and clarity.

but, i LUST over $500 a pair magnepan MMGs (which need amps that can do 4 ohms) because i liked the sound of $1100 maggies on similar priced gear more than $20,000 B&Ws on probably $80,000 worth of additinal gear!

maggies are past your budget... but they really kick butt for their price. they don't actually sound like speakers... they're more like giant high quality headphones.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us