Mythos or bipolar

Username: Kksg

Post Number: 2
hi there
we have a hitachi plasma.Now we have a choice to go for either definitive bipolar 7006 or definitive mythos 1 for front towers. For surrounds we have a choice of BP 2X or Mythos gems .For center we have a choice of mythos 3 or mythos 7.For the sub we have a choice between
supercube 1 Or 2

kindly advise

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3611
Hands down I think that the 7006 are excellent towers and definitely sounds better than any of the Mythos series. However the placement is somewhat picky, you have to experiment which way it will work depending on your room acoustics. Don't get me wrong, I think that the Mythos towers are great, they just don't sound that great with music, very disappointing, coming from Definitive. However, they do look nice and sounds great with movies and not as particular to proper placement, you can just plop them down next to your plasma and you are done.

For your Center, I'd choose the C/L/R 3000. Sounds better than the Mythos.

And for surrounds, I would get the BP 2X. Although I am still unsure with bipole surrounds, I really think that the Mythos series was built for looks and was culled up from existing DefTech drivers and just placed into the very aesthetically pleasing Mythos bodies. I believe they really sound nice, but the BP super towers are really something else.

These are of course based just on my ears and what my wife likes (she gets involved in choosing which sounds "lovely"). We both thought that the Mythos were a little unrefined compared to other Definitve products. Who knows you, might like the Mythos better than the super towers, but again these are going to be yours and you will be the one stuck with the sound. Have listened to any of these?

Now to the sub! If you can get hold of something else, you'd probably do better. The super cubes are nice, but they tend to get muddy and not as tight or responsive as the SVS or HSU subs. WE compared the SuperCube 2 with the HSU STF 2 and 3. Hands down the HSU is the better sub. The DefTech sub was having a hard time with music from Toccata & Fugue inD minor and some of the passages from Concerto no 1 in A minor for V S & basso. The DefTech sub sounded like it was in a cave, it can punch out the bass but the next bass note seems muted until the next note comes up, (i don't know if that makes sense). My wife definitely heard it or something to the effect of "hey, it's missing some notes!" If you 've heard any of these performances live, you'd know what I mean.

Again, your experience will vary from mine, so it would really benefit you to audition them and decide for yourself.

Your mileage will vary.

cheers

Anonymous

For stereo reproduction I'm using Mythos One with Orb Audio Super 8 sub. and unlike the previous poster, I don't have a problem with music reproduction quality from the Mythos/Orb combination. AVR is Marantz SR-8500 and I listen mostely to Jazz (all types of), R&B, Classic Rock and various other popular music. I also play electric bass and do find my setup to produce realistic natural bass, which is pleasing to my ear.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3640
I didn't have a problem with the Mythos myself, I just thought that the 7006 sounded better than the Mythos. I don't see it as a problem, it is matter of preference, and whatever pleases yuor ear is all that matters. After all you will be doing the listening, nobody else's problems on the matter should have an impact on your choices.
Have you personally compared the 2 speakers?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us