Is a reciever necessary?

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 293
i am convined of buying a powered sub, not sure which one yet but ill try to find the best for under $250. here is where i need help. do most powered subs have inputs for speakers, this way i wont have to buy a reciever. Also is a reciever necessary with a powered sub, or will just the sub and speakers do the job. im trying to get the best sound for under $300, is this range too cheap

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 605
You need to have something to send information to the sub, even if it's powered. You can buy a sub that can power speakers, but the results may not be very good.

In your price range you're pretty much limited to Home Theatres in a Box.

If purely for home theatre the Spherex system is quite good for the price of $500.

If you want it for music you're better off starting out with a stereo receiver or integrated amp and a pair of speakers... which will undoubtedly stretch your budget.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3582
db-bass
Do you want to just buy a powered sub for an existing unit?
What are you going to hook up the subwoofer into?

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 250
Im thinking something along the lines of either this

Cambridge SoundWorks MegaWorks 210D Amplified Multimedia/Computer Speaker System; 2.1 system, 270 watt BASH amplifier built into the sub delivers 60 wpc to each satellite and 150 to the sub. Currently $150.

or if you can free up $100 bucks more

Cambridge SoundWorks MegaWorks 505 Amplified Multimedia/Computer Speaker System; 5.1 system, 500 watt BASH amp; 70 wpc to each satellite, 150 to the sub. Currently 399, although you might be able to find it for cheaper on ebay or the like.

According to db's previous posts he has a lower end minisystem. He listens to trance, rock, and rap. I think either of these systems would satisfy his needs while giving him somewhat of an upgrade path (the speakers can be upgraded as they are connected by standard speaker wire). Both systems can be hooked directly to a source (cd player, dvd player, what have you).

Silver Member

Post Number: 295
ya but i have a feeling that computer systems will be nothing compared to the usual home systems. so this is why im trying to get a powered sub and speakers, i want something that will sound great with music but also can hook up to a dvd player for movies. i saw a klipisch promedia 5.1 for $360, how is this?

Silver Member

Post Number: 254
The CSW speakers that I posted comprise their entry level home theater systems. As for the Klipsch Promedia, it is of comparable quality. These aren't your typical $20 computer speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 300
what do you think of this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Home-Stereo-Theater-Kenwood-KR-V6040-Receiver-plus_W0QQitemZ 5802445984QQcategoryZ32861QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member

Post Number: 255
Having never used any of that equipment I can't really give a definitive answer. However, a mix and match system like that probably won't give particularly wonderful performance.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us