Wiring correctly - Home receiver/dvd-vcr player/cable/television

Username: Codyj24

ALBUQUERQUE, NM

Post Number: 1
Just need the best way to wire up a home system:
T.V. = 32" mitsubishi standard t.v.(has s-video)
VCR/DVD player = both in one unit-separate outs.
Receiver = Denon AVR 1505/485 6.1 surround
Comcast Cable = from wall direct to t.v. usually.

Do I connect everything into receiver 1st? Cable to VCR then T.V.?
I feel Retarded! Just want to make sure all selections for Inputs on receiver actually work (tune to t.v. = has sound from t.v.) don't really want to have VCR on to get sound thru Receiver if I don't have 2. etc...
All devices have S-Video capability. DVD player has the Green/Red/Blue rca connections as does the receiver. T.V. doesn't.

thanx

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 272
Cody if you have enough connections on the 1505, I would run everything through the receiver. You can then use your receiver remote to control them (or otherwise a universal remote). It would work something like this

DVD Out --> Receiver in
Cable out (use the RCA's) --> Receiver in
VCR Out --> Receiver in
Receiver out (monitor) --> TV in

As much as possible use the S-Video and Optical combo or Component connection for A/V. Where not available, like your Comcast box, use the 2 audio/1 video RCA cables. Remeber the Green Red Blue cables are for component video connection and are not the same as RCA audio (Red/White) and vidoe (yellow) connection. Component is far superior. Choose that even above S-video if your TV can handle it.

This way your TV becomes basically a dumb monitor and doesn't care where your video signal is coming in. The audio goes strictly through your amp. Turn it down to 0 on the TV.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 603
I noticed a LARGE improvement running the audio directly from the cable box to the receiver. Plus, check the back there may be an orange coax/out on the Comcast box which can be used for digital channels (Unfortuneately, at least with my setup I have to switch inputs when watching regular cable vs. digital).

Video switching can be handy, since your TV doesn't do composite, you can run everything through the receiver using S-Video (Use the "monitor out" to your TV)

So connect the cable box to the VCR using cable. Connect the cable box to the receiver using RCAs (red/white) and a digital coax cable if it has it. Connect the DVD player to the receiver using optical or coax cable. Then connect all devices to the receiver using S-Video (Make sure they goto the same inputs your connecting audio to, in the Denons menus you can assign the different audio connections to the video connections for the rest)

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5354

How you want the "system" to function will determine the manner in which you wire the pieces together. There really isn't a right way for any one system; though there are plenty of wrong ways. Sit down; figure out what you want controlled by what and then try it. Unless the system is entombed in volcanic ash, you can always change what doesn't suit your needs.

http://www.prillaman.net/ht_info_8-wiring.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 604
There may not be an exact right way to wire it all up, however the obvious improvements can be stated.

1) Better picture through S-Video than RCA or cable

2) Less background noise and more complete sound through less connections, running audio through the cable box --> VCR --> TV --> Receiver should be avoided.

Googy
Unregistered guest
Hi I have only 6 coaxial input for each speaker and only one coax output from the dvd..what cable do I need ? please help

Anonymous

> don't really want to have VCR on to get sound thru Receiver if I don't have 2. etc...

Cody if your TV doesn't have audio output plugs then youre just sh*t out of luck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 614
Googy, if your receiver doesn't have a coax in does it have an optical input?

If that's the case all you need is an coax-optical convertor.

If all you have is 6 analog inputs on the receiver, you will need a DVD player with 6 analog outputs to get the most of your system.

The Yamaha 1500 jumps to mind as a player that has this feature at a relatively low cost of around $300. Usually DVD players with this feature are DVD-Audio/ Super Audio CD players thus the cost.

Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung DLP Tv and DirectTv Tivo with surround sound. I recently purchased an inexpensive Insignia DVDRW/VCR combo unit. I want to wire it up properly, but im unsure of the wiring using the Component/Digital Optical. Is the Grees/Red/Blue wires strictly for video and is the Optical striclty for Audio. If so do they work together or do i need to use the audio out with the component cables. Sorry but I just dont know.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 291
First off if you have a nice DLP TV you probably don't want to match it with a cheap DVD player. However if you are stuck with it your connection preferance for best results should be in this order:

1) DVI or HDMI (digital port in the back)
2) Component (Green Red Blue wires) + Optical
3) S-video + Optical

Honestly if your DVD player does not have DVI or HDMI connection I would replace it with one that does. It's a waste of your HD TV's capabilities to use the analogue inputs.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2318
I think somebody should be a little less lazy, and read the directions. If you have a more specific question or problem once you're under way, then ask away.

The generic...."Well, I got all my stuff, so what should I do now?"........are BS questions and should get no response.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us